Brady Quinn..Get your Asz in Camp NOW!

Seriously though...Quinn might be available in the top 5, depending on who picks up there.

San Fran: Alex Smith

Tennessee: Vince Young

New Orleans: Drew Brees

Houston: David Carr (possible?)

Green Bay: Aaron Rodgers

Really, the Jets, Detroit and Maybe Cleveland, Green Bay or Oakland are the only 5 teams I an realistically see needing a QB and possibly drafting in front of us. This of course assumes we NEED a QB...which I am not sure is even the case

I'd rather see us get a stud receiver like Calvin Johnson or trade down in order to stock up on offensive linemen.

Levi Brown would be a nice choice. Add in extra picks in a trade down, and that's nice.

Of course, this is all WAY too early to speculate. Brown could tear up his ACL, Johnson could get put in prison, and the Bills could actually win enough games so that this isn't an issue.

I agree....this team has too much talent.

734085[/snapback]

You might be right. These are essentially the same Bills that ranked in the top 30 both offensively and defensively last year and they added Robert Royal and Larry Triplett. :devil:

In all seriousness, who are all these teams the Bills are more talented than?

You might be right.  These are essentially the same Bills that ranked in the top 30 both offensively and defensively last year and they added Robert Royal and Larry Triplett.  :devil:

In all seriousness, who are all these teams the Bills are more talented than?

734128[/snapback]

IMO, we're a consistent QB away from being a playoff contender. We have a lot of talent on this team, we just need to put it together on both sides of the ball. We also have the best special teams in the NFL.

Teams we're as good or better than, IMO:

Browns

Ravens

Jets

Texans

Titans

Lions

Packers

Vikes

Saints

Cardinals

I'll also add the Bengals since we beat them last year.

IMO, we're a consistent QB away from being a playoff contender. We have a lot of talent on this team, we just need to put it together on both sides of the ball. We also have the best special teams in the NFL.

Teams we're as good or better than, IMO:

Browns

Ravens

Jets

Texans

Titans

Lions

Packers

Vikes

Saints

Cardinals

I'll also add the Bengals since we beat them last year.

734131[/snapback]

Disagree on the Ravens, Cardinals & Bengals

You can add in Chargers, Dolphins, Cowboys, Falcons & Raiders.

Ah, nice comeback, but bad history. In '79 it was not allowed to negotiate before the draft.... That rule changed by the time we drafted Bruce in 1985.

734032[/snapback]

Touche!

However, if memory serves me, Cousineau did give the Bills his "word" that if drafted, he would sign with and play for the Bills, so the whole history of how the Bills lost Cousineau to the CFL is somewhat telling (and amusing)...

(from the Brown's web site)

When he [Cousineau] came out of Ohio State, Buffalo used the No. 1 overall pick in the 1979 draft to take him. It seemed like a good fit. The Bills were struggling and needed an infusion of talent. And playing in Buffalo, just three hours up I-90 from Cleveland, meant Cousineau would be close to home.

“I was incredibly flattered to have been drafted by the Bills and I looked forward to playing with them,” the now 47-year-old Cousineau said. “Chuck Knox, the coach there at that time, was a great coach. He was what they call a players’ coach. I just looked upon it as a great opportunity.”

But that feeling lasted for only a few fleeting hours – if that.

“My relationship with the Bills got off into the weeds, and it happened almost immediately,” he said.

When Cousineau went to fly on draft day from New York, where he had been for the draft, to Buffalo for a press conference with the local media, he found when he got to the airport that there was no seat for his agent, Jimmy Walsh. On top of that, the flight was sold out.

After that matter was finally cleared up and Cousineau and Walsh arrived in Buffalo, they were supposed to go to dinner that night with Bills owner Ralph Wilson and general manager Stew Barber.

“We waited down in the hotel lobby for them, but they never showed up. They didn’t even call,” Cousineau said. “I didn’t need to have my rear end kissed by the Bills, but the way they treated me was about as rude as it gets. For whatever reason, the Bills were playing hardball with me right out of the gate.

“Barber had played with the Bills, and I found out later that he didn’t treat any players very well. This was at a time when a lot of players were leaving Buffalo.”

Feeling insulted and with his and his client’s pride hurt, Walsh quickly called the Alouettes to see if they were interested in having Cousineau play for them. They did.

“By that evening, we had a deal,” Cousineau said.

“Buffalo went ballistic when they heard that. They were very unhappy. They thought I was bluffing.

“I wanted to play in Buffalo. I really did. I didn’t expect them to match the offer I got from Montreal, because it was very good. We told the Bills that if they were just close to that offer, I’d stay.

“But the Bills came back with an offer that was less than half that of Montreal’s. I didn’t wan to make it about money. I really didn’t. Like I said, though, the thing just got off in the weeds right away and never came back out.”

So Cousineau went to the CFL and, not surprisingly, was a star there, too. But his heart was still in the NFL, and in April 1982, the Browns’ AFC Central rivals, the Houston Oilers (now the Tennessee Titans), made him an offer sheet. The Bills still had NFL rights to Cousineau and could keep him by matching the Oilers’ deal, and they did.

The Bills, however, had no intention of Cousineau ever playing for them. They quickly traded him to the Browns for Cleveland’s No. 1 draft pick in 1983, a third-rounder in 1984 and a fifth-rounder in ’85.

So the Bills lost Tom Cousineau, the #1 overall pick in '79, because they were rude and cheap! I guess it worked out OK though, since we used that Clevelend 1st round pick (#14 overall) to draft Jim Kelly...

In 1983, Kelly was drafted as the Buffalo Bills No. 1 pick (their 500th draft choice in their history) as did the Houston Gamblers of the upstart USFL. Kelly made a statement that he cried when he found out that the Bills had drafted him..

"Twelve teams would have a chance to select me before Pittsburgh's turn came," Kelly said in his book Armed and Dangerous . "Buffalo would have two chances (twelfth and fourteenth), and I was praying they'd pass on me both times.

"‘No!' I yelled to the TV screen," Kelly recounted in his book. "‘Don't take me. Noooooo!' When the Bills drafted Tony Hunter, a tight end from Notre Dame, I breathed a sigh of relief. The Lions picked next; they took James Jones, a fullback from Florida.'Buffalo was up again, with the fourteenth choice. ‘Please!' I said. "Not me. Pleeeease!'

"NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle stepped up to the microphone and announced, ‘Buffalo selects . . . Jim Kelly, quarterback, University of Miami.'

"I let out a groan. My chin dropped to my chest. I thought, ‘Why did they have to take me?' So the minute I was drafted by the Bills, I began thinking about my options. "

So what's my point? Well, the Bills do have something of a history of being cheap - good thing we didn't draft Leinart, I guess.

Let's just get Whitner signed and in camp, and develop JP into an All-Pro so we don't have to worry about Brady Quinn.

Disagree on the Ravens, Cardinals & Bengals

You can add in Chargers, Dolphins, Cowboys, Falcons & Raiders.

734138[/snapback]

When is the last time we lost to the Bengals? I don't see any reason to think they're better than us. You may be right about the Chargers now that their qb spot is unproven.

When is the last time we lost to the Bengals? I don't see any reason to think they're better than us. You may be right about the Chargers now that their qb spot is unproven.

734157[/snapback]

I think until our young guys step up(if ever) the Bengals are definately ahead of us.

Star QB(assume he comes back to full health)

Star WR & solid #2WR

Very Good RB

Very Good O-Line

Decent D-line

OK LBs(1 top guy)

Top CBs & weak S

IMO the Bengals are not too far from the top(with a healthy Palmer)

I think until our young guys step up(if ever)  the Bengals are definately ahead of us.

Star WR & solid #2WR

Very Good RB

Very Good O-Line

Decent D-line

OK LBs(1 top guy)

Top CBs & weak S

734175[/snapback]

I like what they've done there, but I won't be surprised if they take a step back this year. I think Palmer is a very solid qb, and I love c. johnson, but I think all these character guys they've brought in are going to be a distraction.

I like what they've done there, but I won't be surprised if they take a step back this year. I think Palmer is a very solid qb, and I love c. johnson, but I think all these character guys they've brought in are going to be a distraction.

734187[/snapback]

True indeed. It's good to have the individual talent.....getting all the individual talent to play together as a cohesive team is probably of higher importance though.

I think until our young guys step up(if ever)  the Bengals are definately ahead of us.

Star WR & solid #2WR

Very Good RB

Very Good O-Line

Decent D-line

OK LBs(1 top guy)

Top CBs & weak S

734175[/snapback]

They have a tough schedule...SB champ PGH twice, and play-off clubs NE, TB, CAR, IND, DEN, and 2 decent opponents in SD and KC. Plus 2 against BAL, with a healthy Ed Reed and the QB change to McNair. His past record in ripping the B'gals a new one is obscene. If he still has it, he's as tough as they come.

Obtaining Adams probably won't help their so-so DL - teams that ran it up the gut sytmied them all last season, and as a poster here once observed, Sam is a "pass-rushing linebacker built like a rhino". <_<

I am with you on that!

And thanks for the history... I just love that #@$% <_<

I for one think that anyone who criticizes the current regime at OBD needs to look back at what a total clusterfark Stew Barber and company made of the place in the late 70s-early 80s. *shudder*

Touche!

However, if memory serves me, Cousineau did give the Bills his "word" that if drafted, he would sign with and play for the Bills, so the whole history of how the Bills lost Cousineau to the CFL is somewhat telling (and amusing)...

(from the Brown's web site)

When he [Cousineau] came out of Ohio State, Buffalo used the No. 1 overall pick in the 1979 draft to take him. It seemed like a good fit. The Bills were struggling and needed an infusion of talent. And playing in Buffalo, just three hours up I-90 from Cleveland, meant Cousineau would be close to home.

“I was incredibly flattered to have been drafted by the Bills and I looked forward to playing with them,” the now 47-year-old Cousineau said. “Chuck Knox, the coach there at that time, was a great coach. He was what they call a players’ coach. I just looked upon it as a great opportunity.”

But that feeling lasted for only a few fleeting hours – if that.

“My relationship with the Bills got off into the weeds, and it happened almost immediately,” he said.

When Cousineau went to fly on draft day from New York, where he had been for the draft, to Buffalo for a press conference with the local media, he found when he got to the airport that there was no seat for his agent, Jimmy Walsh. On top of that, the flight was sold out.

After that matter was finally cleared up and Cousineau and Walsh arrived in Buffalo, they were supposed to go to dinner that night with Bills owner Ralph Wilson and general manager Stew Barber.

“We waited down in the hotel lobby for them, but they never showed up. They didn’t even call,” Cousineau said. “I didn’t need to have my rear end kissed by the Bills, but the way they treated me was about as rude as it gets. For whatever reason, the Bills were playing hardball with me right out of the gate.

“Barber had played with the Bills, and I found out later that he didn’t treat any players very well. This was at a time when a lot of players were leaving Buffalo.”

Feeling insulted and with his and his client’s pride hurt, Walsh quickly called the Alouettes to see if they were interested in having Cousineau play for them. They did.

“By that evening, we had a deal,” Cousineau said.

“Buffalo went ballistic when they heard that. They were very unhappy. They thought I was bluffing.

“I wanted to play in Buffalo. I really did. I didn’t expect them to match the offer I got from Montreal, because it was very good. We told the Bills that if they were just close to that offer, I’d stay.

“But the Bills came back with an offer that was less than half that of Montreal’s. I didn’t wan to make it about money. I really didn’t. Like I said, though, the thing just got off in the weeds right away and never came back out.”

So Cousineau went to the CFL and, not surprisingly, was a star there, too.  But his heart was still in the NFL, and in April 1982, the Browns’ AFC Central rivals, the Houston Oilers (now the Tennessee Titans), made him an offer sheet. The Bills still had NFL rights to Cousineau and could keep him by matching the Oilers’ deal, and they did.

The Bills, however, had no intention of Cousineau ever playing for them. They quickly traded him to the Browns for Cleveland’s No. 1 draft pick in 1983, a third-rounder in 1984 and a fifth-rounder in ’85.

So the Bills lost Tom Cousineau, the #1 overall pick in '79, because they were rude and cheap!  I guess it worked out OK though, since we used that Clevelend 1st round pick (#14 overall) to draft Jim Kelly...

In 1983, Kelly was drafted as the Buffalo Bills No. 1 pick (their 500th draft choice in their history) as did the Houston Gamblers of the upstart USFL. Kelly made a statement that he cried when he found out that the Bills had drafted him..

"Twelve teams would have a chance to select me before Pittsburgh's turn came," Kelly said in his book Armed and Dangerous . "Buffalo would have two chances (twelfth and fourteenth), and I was praying they'd pass on me both times.

"‘No!' I yelled to the TV screen," Kelly recounted in his book. "‘Don't take me. Noooooo!' When the Bills drafted Tony Hunter, a tight end from Notre Dame, I breathed a sigh of relief. The Lions picked next; they took James Jones, a fullback from Florida.'Buffalo was up again, with the fourteenth choice. ‘Please!' I said. "Not me. Pleeeease!'

"NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle stepped up to the microphone and announced, ‘Buffalo selects . . . Jim Kelly, quarterback, University of Miami.'

"I let out a groan. My chin dropped to my chest. I thought, ‘Why did they have to take me?' So the minute I was drafted by the Bills, I began thinking about my options. "

So what's my point?  Well, the Bills do have something of a history of being cheap - good thing we didn't draft Leinart, I guess.

Let's just get Whitner signed and in camp, and develop JP into an All-Pro so we don't have to worry about Brady Quinn.

734150[/snapback]

You may be right about the Chargers now that their qb spot is unproven.

734157[/snapback]

It was only last November that the Chargers thoroughly demolished the Bills (48-10) in every facet of the game. It was one of the most embarrassing losses in Bills history (What was worse? Maybe the pair 43-0 and 24-0 losses to the Baltimore Colts in 1971?) It was an unbearable game to watch. It was probably the game that tipped the fate of the last coaching regime. The Bills line play was especially bad as was Nate Clements toast impersonation.

Phillip Rivers is ready to play. Not having Brees will not hurt the Chargers significantly.

The Bills have also lost the last two years to the Raiders.

The Jets should be improved especially on the offensive line with D 'Brick and Mangold.

If the Bills are more skilled than anybody they need to show it on the field.