Jets go into the Season with the experienced

ganesh

Didn't someone start a thread with a report that Clemens stuggles with the deep ball??

733557[/snapback]

Yeah I noticed that too. Of course accuracy and strength are two different things, but somebody did say he had a weak arm. That must be incorrect if his arm is in fact stronger than Ramsey's.

I'm interested (for the first time in a long time) in the Jets this year, because they seem to have decided to rebuild from the trenches out, which I think is the way to build a great team. Ferguson and Mangold aren't going to get much press, but my thought is they have even less talent than the Bills, but have addressed the offensive line problem. I'm curious to see how the experiment plays out over the year and whether the Jets or Bills headed in the right direction.

I'm interested (for the first time in a long time) in the Jets this year, because they seem to have decided to rebuild from the trenches out, which I think is the way to build a great team.  Ferguson and Mangold aren't going to get much press, but my thought is they have even less talent than the Bills, but have addressed the offensive line problem.  I'm curious to see how the experiment plays out over the year and whether the Jets or Bills headed in the right direction.

733567[/snapback]

The problem is you need a good mix of both, you can't win with a dominant offensive line and no one to throw the ball/throw the ball too. Fergussen and mangold may end up as very good linemen, but they are still rookies who ill need to develop so as for this year, I don't see the Jets having any impact. The Bills have talent elsewhere, and have addressed their lines (somewhat, and not the way most of you believe it has to be done, but they have been improved) to a point where they may be capable to be a very good o-line and D-line if things fall into place quickly and the gel well together. I think both teams are starting off in the right direction, but I think the Jets have a much farther way to go then the bills do right now

I'm interested (for the first time in a long time) in the Jets this year, because they seem to have decided to rebuild from the trenches out, which I think is the way to build a great team.  Ferguson and Mangold aren't going to get much press, but my thought is they have even less talent than the Bills, but have addressed the offensive line problem.  I'm curious to see how the experiment plays out over the year and whether the Jets or Bills headed in the right direction.

733567[/snapback]

You can also take a close look at the Raiders, that like the Jets, walked similar paths with their selection of Gallery and Grove in the 2004 draft class.

Like Ferguson and Mangold, they were can't miss projects and they've been in the league for two years.

The only thing I know about the Raiders is that Gallery struggled in his rookie year at LT and was moved to RT. I can't recall much about Grove.

733567[/snapback]

I am sure if the Bills picked 4th, they would have picked the Brick too....

While they had a shot at Mangold, they went with a DT pick which was a

worser need than a OG, especially considering that they had just signed Reyes

before the draft.....

733567[/snapback]

In a lot of ways I agree, but building the lines through high draft picks is a tough way to do it. O-Lineman tend to not hit there prime until their late 20s. Usually as their rookie contracts are expiring. It is very rare that a first day o-lineman becomes a stud on the line in their first 3 or 4 years. Even the highly touted Levi Jones is far from dominant, he's just better than the mediocrity and inconsistency of his peers- M. Williams and B. McKinney.

The Raiders are the perfect example of this as the other poster pointed out. Those young guys might turn out to be great players...in 4 more years.

Pennington Wins the QB derby

733521[/snapback]

Good for the Jets, then.

I dislike qb competitions - offenses are tailored these days, and a coaching staff with their putative years of competent experience and knowing a qb's history, not being able to make a decision early on in camp, is irking.

Give your 1st rounder the practice and pre-season reps.

If he stinks this coming year, get rid of 'em.

Simple.

733567[/snapback]

ok, heres some foor for thought. The Jets spent 2 first round picks on the o-line.The bills added 2 younger players via FA to the o-line. Both teams "addressed" the lines. (Note:1st round picks are not the onyl way to add o-linemen).

So if 1/2 of the jets draft picks pan out, and are good, and 1/2 of the bills acquisitions pan out and are good, then whats the difference in how the teams acquired the o-lines?

Its very frustrating when people think that 1st round picks are the only way to improve a line.

ok, heres some foor for thought. The Jets spent 2 first round picks on the o-line.The bills added 2 younger players via FA to the o-line. Both teams "addressed" the lines. (Note:1st round picks are not the onyl way to add o-linemen).

So if 1/2 of the jets draft picks pan out, and are good, and 1/2 of the bills acquisitions pan out and are good, then whats the difference in how the teams acquired the o-lines?

Its very frustrating when people think that 1st round picks are the only way to improve a line.

733605[/snapback]

It isn't the first round picks alone. The draft for the Jets seemed focused on the offensive defensive lines (also LB's and a Tight End which bolster the line) and their moves have seemed to make that their priority. All I'm saying is that it will be interesting to see how the theory pans out in comparison to the Bills philosophy of rebuilding to fit the scheme of the season (Tampa cover 2 and St Louis West Coast.) I'm going to wait and see.

The bills added 2 younger players via FA to the o-line. Both teams "addressed" the lines. (Note:1st round picks are not the onyl way to add o-linemen).

733605[/snapback]

Well, let's be fair here. Ferguson was as close to a can't-miss as you can find in the draft and I personally like Mangold.

Now, the Bills picked up a couple of backups. This is a recipe they've followed before: try and pick up someone else's leftovers and cobble together a line.

How's that worked?

Well, let's be fair here. Ferguson was as close to a can't-miss as you can find in the draft and I personally like Mangold.

Now, the Bills picked up a couple of backups. This is a recipe they've followed before: try and pick up someone else's leftovers and cobble together a line.

How's that worked?

733638[/snapback]

Wasn't Reyes a starter for Carolina last year, and Fowlers became a starter and probably would have stayed if the vikings didn't already have a couple better starters at that position.

The FA pickups were no more of a gamble the getting the players through the draft, except that they have previous NFL experience and will take less time to develop for the Bills because they are experienced.

Wasn't Reyes a starter for Carolina last year, and Fowlers became a starter and probably would have stayed if the vikings didn't already have a couple better starters at that position.

The FA pickups were no more of a gamble the getting the players through the draft, except that they have previous NFL experience and will take less time to develop for the Bills because they are experienced.

733693[/snapback]

The FA pickups are far less of a gamble. A first round bust can cost you tens of millions. You know what the guys you get through FA are capable of, because they've already achieved on the pro level.