Rank the NFL's divisions

Looking at the NFL divisions, where do rank each in comparison with the others? Below is each division with last season's record, and you can click here if you want to view them in more detail. You can rank your divisions as the toughest to win, or as the best teams, top to bottom. Let's see where they shake out.

BTW, remember before the '03 season when every expert picked the AFC East to be the toughest in the NFL? Bledsoe and the Bills on the rise, the Jets coming off an AFC Championship game appearance, the Pats one year removed from their first Super Bowl, and Ricky coming off a career year for the Fins...It was set up to be a bloodbath, but that never panned out (well, ok, New England had a decent year.) The point is, don't be afraid to go out on a limb!

NFC EAST

NY Giants 11 5

Washington 10 6 

Dallas 9 7 

Philadelphia 6 10

NFC NORTH

Chicago 11 5 

Minnesota 9 7

Detroit 5 11

Green Bay 4 12

NFC SOUTH

Tampa Bay 11 5

Carolina 11 5

Atlanta 8 8

New Orleans 3 13

NFC WEST

Seattle 13 3

St. Louis 6 10

Arizona 5 11

San Francisco 4 12

AFC EAST

New England 10 6 

Miami 9 7

Buffalo 5 11

NY Jets 4 12

AFC NORTH

Cincinnati 11 5 

Pittsburgh 11 5

Cleveland 6 10 

Baltimore 6 10

AFC SOUTH

Indianapolis 14 2

Jacksonville 12 4

Tennessee 4 12 

Houston 2 14

AFC WEST

Denver 13 3

Kansas City 10 6

San Diego 9 7 

Oakland 4 12

Here's how I see them:

1. NFC East- that will be a dogfight. Nobody will walk over any of those teams.

2. AFC West- Again, top to bottom, there is not a 'gimmee' game in the bunch. I'm skeptical of Aaron Brooks in Oaktown, though. He could be really good, but he will probably be really bad.

3. NFC South- Tampa and Carolina were playoff teams. Simms has to prove that he's the long term answer, and Cadillac has to stay healthy. Atlanta is no pushover, and while Vick may be overrated, he wins more than he loses. The Saints with Brees and Reggie should make some noise.

4. AFC North- A bit top heavy, but Cleveland and Baltimore should both be improved. I wrestled with placing this division at #3 because the Steelers and Bengals are just that good, and the AFC has been better in recent years.

5. AFC East- Never easy playing one of these teams at their place. The Pats are still top dog until someone proves otherwise.

6. AFC South- VERY top heavy. Indy and Jax again this year. Houston could leapfrog Tennesee to get out of last place.

7. NFC West- Seattle alone keeps them out of the basement.

8. NFC North- Are you really frightened by any one of these teams?

1.  NFC East- that will be a dogfight.  Nobody will walk over any of those teams.

2.  AFC West- Again, top to bottom, there is not a 'gimmee' game in the bunch.  I'm skeptical of Aaron Brooks in Oaktown, though.  He could be really good, but he will probably be really bad.

3.  NFC South- Tampa and Carolina were playoff teams.  Simms has to prove that he's the long term answer, and Cadillac has to stay healthy.  Atlanta is no pushover, and while Vick may be overrated, he wins more than he loses.  The Saints with Brees and Reggie should make some noise.

4.  AFC North- A bit top heavy, but Cleveland and Baltimore should both be improved.  I wrestled with placing this division at #3 because the Steelers and Bengals are just that good, and the AFC has been better in recent years.

5.  AFC East- Never easy playing one of these teams at their place.  The Pats are still top dog until someone proves otherwise.

6.  AFC South-  VERY top heavy.  Indy and Jax again this year.  Houston could leapfrog Tennesee to get out of last place.

7.  NFC West-  Seattle alone keeps them out of the basement.

8.  NFC North-  Are you really frightened by any one of these teams?

733089[/snapback]

If it's toughest division to win then I agree with everything but I would switch 4 with 5. I don't see our division as easier to win than the North. Perhaps it's not that all the east teams are better, it's just that they have more parity.

However, I think that Pittsburgh is in trouble this year - they lost two guys, Randle El and Bettis that were their red zone go-to guys. Cowher can't keep turning no names into stars forever(not saying he hasn't done well), but this time around maybe they can't reload with who they have. Cincy will have to employ a team bailbondsman this year, I dunno. Maybe you're right.

1-NFC East. 36 wins last year, and the Eagles had an off-year.

2-AFC West. 36 wins. KC will be better, and Oakland can't get any worse.

3-NFC North. 34 wins. PGH, CIN will vie with BAL to determine one AFC contender.

4-NFC South. 33 wins last year, and Carolina's better now.

5-AFC South. 32 wins with Indy and Jax and now Baltimore, could go higher.

6-AFC East. 28 wins, but MIA and BUF are coming on.

7-NFC West. 28 wins. Seattle's worse than it seems.

8-NFC North-29 wins.CHI, and GB will be worse, DET and MIN slightly better.

The AFC West and NFC East were dead even last year head to head; and the NFCE teams were extremely lucky to escape in the Chargers-Eagles, Chiefs-Cowboys, and Broncos-Giants games. I expect the Cowboys/Eagles to be better this year, and the Giants/Skins worse so it probably ends up being a wash. The AFCW should be worse than last year though: Denver/SD ought to be worse, Oakland/KC about the same. I might put the AFC North as high as 2nd because I think both the Ravens and Browns could surprise some people.

I think I actually agree with smokin. Though I don't give the AFC North as much credit. I think the Bengals are VERY overrated- moreso than the fins. Somehow in all our awfulness we beat them up each year. Cleveland and the Ravens suck. Ravens are getting worse with each year. Cleveland is cursed, though I kind of like rooting for them.

Looking at the NFL divisions, where do rank each in comparison with the others?  Below is each division with last season's record, and you can click here if you want to view them in more detail.  You can rank your divisions as the toughest to win, or as the best teams, top to bottom.  Let's see where they shake out.

BTW, remember before the '03 season when every expert picked the AFC East to be the toughest in the NFL?  Bledsoe and the Bills on the rise, the Jets coming off an AFC Championship game appearance, the Pats one year removed from their first Super Bowl, and Ricky coming off a career year for the Fins...It was set up to be a bloodbath, but that never panned out (well, ok, New England had a decent year.)  The point is, don't be afraid to go out on a limb! 

Here's how I see them:

1.  NFC East- that will be a dogfight.  Nobody will walk over any of those teams.

2.  AFC West- Again, top to bottom, there is not a 'gimmee' game in the bunch.  I'm skeptical of Aaron Brooks in Oaktown, though.  He could be really good, but he will probably be really bad.

3.  NFC South- Tampa and Carolina were playoff teams.  Simms has to prove that he's the long term answer, and Cadillac has to stay healthy.  Atlanta is no pushover, and while Vick may be overrated, he wins more than he loses.  The Saints with Brees and Reggie should make some noise.

4.  AFC North- A bit top heavy, but Cleveland and Baltimore should both be improved.  I wrestled with placing this division at #3 because the Steelers and Bengals are just that good, and the AFC has been better in recent years.

5.  AFC East- Never easy playing one of these teams at their place.  The Pats are still top dog until someone proves otherwise.

6.  AFC South-  VERY top heavy.  Indy and Jax again this year.  Houston could leapfrog Tennesee to get out of last place.

7.  NFC West-  Seattle alone keeps them out of the basement.

8.  NFC North-  Are you really frightened by any one of these teams?

733089[/snapback]

1. NFC East- Evenly matched, all play well at home. I see the Redskins having a down year, though

2. NFC South- Hard to believe, two NFC div's at the top. I rank the top 3 in the NFC South even with the AFC West's top 3, and I see the Saints minus Brooks (and with Drew Brees, a healthy Deuce Mc, and Bush) as better than the Raiders with Brooks.

3. AFC West- This division may have peaked two years ago. Still tough, but on the downturn, IMO. Just look at the QBs- Green in KC, Plummer (with Cutler over his shoulder) in Den, Rivers in SD, and Brooks in Oak. Green is getting up in age, and there are question marks about the other three.

4. AFC North- Almost put the East here, but gave the North the nod because within lies the defending SB champs, who were unable to win this division last year. McNair will be better than Boller in Baltimore, but that's not saying much. I'm interested to watch Frye for a full season in Cleveland. I don't think he has 'it' but only time will tell.

5. AFC East- If I was standing back and looking at this objectively, I say there's only one good team in the division. I would lump the Bills and Jets in with some of the worst in the league. The Fins are not world beaters, and have plenty of question marks. But with our familiarity to this division, I have to rank them at 5. There is never an easy game, and like smokin said, all take care of the home field.

6. AFC South- Two good teams (Indy, Jags) tops the NFC West's one good team (Seattle).

7. NFC West- Seattle should have a home playoff game every year with the six freebie wins in this division. The Niners are sad, and the Rams just never seem to get it done. They remind me of the Vikings or Dolphins. Hopefully Arizona can take advantage of the sell-out crowds and actually play with a home field advantage for once! The sooner Leinart is ready, the better. Kurt Warner was a meteor in the NFL sky, but it's not 1999. Maybe the two receivers can ignite his career (again.) Otherwise it should be back to the supermarket.

8. NFC North- Chicago is the best of this sorry division- but that's like being the thinnest kid at fat camp. At least last year, if you could get to 17 points on them, you had a real good chance at winning. Vikings, Lions, Packers- I'd have to think the AFC East is licking their chops.