Whitner's Agent - Ties to Derrick Thomas/GM suit?

Cripes

From Today's Allen Wilson story:

"Another complication could be Whitner's agent, Jonathan Hurst. He works for the agency headed by Neil Cornrich, who has been suspended for one year by the NFL Players Association for testifying on behalf of General Motors against the estate of the late Chiefs linebacker Derrick Thomas."

WTF? Hurst is screwing his client...or punishing Buffalo...or messing with Ralph Wilson because of his Detroit connections? Nothing else in the story explains this. How the hell does this six degrees of separation crap factor into the Whitner talks?

"Another complication could be Whitner's agent, Jonathan Hurst. He works for the agency headed by Neil Cornrich, who has been suspended for one year by the NFL Players Association for testifying on behalf of General Motors against the estate of the late Chiefs linebacker Derrick Thomas."

WTF? Hurst is screwing his client...or punishing Buffalo...or messing with Ralph Wilson because of his Detroit connections? Nothing else in the story explains this. How the hell does this six degrees of separation crap factor into the Whitner talks?

732964[/snapback]

I sent Allen Wilson an email asking him the EXACT same question! I was as confused as you. It seems to be a completely random piece of information with no relevance to the rest of the article.

I'll post if he responds.

732964[/snapback]

I am not sure but I believe that Wilson simply meant there may be no real direction at the agency because the bossman was just suspended and cannot negotiate. These agents are not free agents for their agencies, for the most part. So the suspension of Cornrich could be affecting all of the agents at the company. In fact, Adam Vinateri was also represented by them, specifically Hurst himself, and then dropped him from what he perceived as a lack of movement. Whitner may soon do the same.

I seem to remember from when Lienart changed agents that if you leave your agent you must wait 7 days before you can sign with another. I hope that is not the case, because, unless Whitner were to represent himself (which means he gets to keep the 20%) he will be out well more than a week.

I seem to remember from when Lienart changed agents that if you leave your agent you must wait 7 days before you can sign with another. I hope that is not the case, because, unless Whitner were to represent himself (which means he gets to keep the 20%) he will be out well more than a week.

733031[/snapback]

I never knew what the commission was. 20% sounds awfully high. If I'm Whitner, I'd drop my agent in a heartbeat, drive straight to One Bills Drive, and tell them that if they give me a deal between #7 and #9 that I'll sign it. Keeping the 20% for myself would more than make up for whatever little extra the negotiator could have squeezed out of Ralph.

I never knew what the commission was.  20% sounds awfully high.  If I'm Whitner, I'd drop my agent in a heartbeat, drive straight to One Bills Drive, and tell them that if they give me a deal between #7 and #9 that I'll sign it.  Keeping the 20% for myself would more than make up for whatever little extra the negotiator could have squeezed out of Ralph.

Commission is actually 3%.