2 nights in Baltimore

MattyT

For the money, again, for the money...for a good steak dinner, nothing beats Outback.

733164[/snapback]

I do like Outback's steaks. My wife loves that bloomin' onion crap, too, so it's easy to get her to go there.

I also like the Bourbon St steak @ Applebees. They season it very well.

Tio Pepe's...

Tio Pepe, 10 E. Franklin Street, 410-539-4675. Expensive. The venerable Tio Pepe continues to endear itself to Baltimoreans. On a recent Saturday night, a majority of tables consisted of older generations introducing the traditional cuisine of Spain to their progeny. And what an introduction. When you walk down the stairs to the warren of whitewashed dining rooms, you’re immediately transported to another world. Even the waitstaff’s Latin accents contribute to the night-in-Sevilla mood. Try the langostinos a la parrilla, delectable, huge shrimp in their shells; or savory, briny seafood bisque; or something that you don’t normally see on a menu like veal kidneys, perfectly complemented by a sweet, dark sauce. Definitely peruse Tio’s wine list for some of the best values in town. But order with some caution. Sometimes the suckling pig is succulent, sometimes not. Likewise, some adore the famous pine-nut roll, some don’t. We’re in the latter category, so we’d skip it for a nice post-prandial glass of sherry instead.

http://www.baltimoremagazine.net/annuals/b...urants_2004.asp

Anyone going to the Bills game on 12/31, Tailgaiting?

What's the quickest way to get to BWI after the game-train or cab? I've got about 2 hours before my flight leaves.

Is the hotel I'm staying at, Wyndham Baltimore-Inner Harbor 101 W. Fayette St. as bad a dump as some internet reviewers say & will Sheraton renovations by December help, or is the neighborhood bad too?

How's the Harbor area in December?

Any other suggestions for a Saturday in Baltimore with no car?

733201[/snapback]

Too early to tell... bad day for it.

What's the quickest way to get to BWI after the game-train or cab?
Since it's NYE, I would probably do cab.

Is the hotel I'm staying at, Wyndham Baltimore-Inner Harbor 101 W. Fayette St. as bad a dump as some internet reviewers say & will Sheraton renovations by December help, or is the neighborhood bad too?
You're not far from The Block.

Still hopping. Usually not too cold out.

You're not far from The Block.

Ever since the '94 strike, I've been done w/ MLB, so I have no need to go there for a baseball game. 

The place I'm really looking forward to going is to the stadium in Erie where the Sea Wolves play.  I love minor league ball; much more fun, no prima donnas.  They built the stadium about a year or so after I moved to Maryland, and I still haven't seen them play there.  I don't usually make trips up to Erie until fall, and by then, the season is over.

733056[/snapback]

I definitely hear you about the baseball strike....the game overall has really let people down over the past ten or fifteen years, that's for sure. Strikes, steroids, little balance among teams, etc....I thnk that probably added to the appeal of Camden Yards when I went....it was like taking a step back into what going to the ballpark used to feel like, you know? It has all the modern amenites with the feel of a throw-back.

I'd love to take a trip back to Erie, myself....I've never gone this long w/out a visit back :lol:

What's the quickest way to get to BWI after the game-train or cab?  I've got about 2 hours before my flight leaves.

733201[/snapback]

The tailgate is already in the planning stages, Harv. I met w/ the owner of Sliders, a bar across the street from Camden Yards and just up the street from M&T Bank Stadium (where we've already had 2 successful tailgates in the past 3 years), and we're set. It'll probably be identical to what we did for the 2004 game, which is:

*Buffet that includes wings, burgers, chili, and plenty of sides to go w/ it for $10 per person, and...

*Drink specials, which were 2 for 1 Yuengling (Mmmm.........Yuengling!!) and Bud Light (yuck!!) plus rail drinks.

As we get closer to the date, I'll post more details.

Oh yeah, the Sheraton is very close to Sliders and to M&T Bank Stadium, Harv.

I'll be contacting the closer hotels to see if I can find a good group rate, which will be very tough considering it's New Year's Eve. But I will try.

Is The Block good or bad?  I'm guessing it's where the hookers hang out.

733224[/snapback]

It is very, very sleazy. Historic, but sleazy. A whole bunch of beat-up strip clubs with beat women... not counting the Hustler Club, which is a lot more upscale. That is the only place I would hang out at, but if you've never seen The Block, you should check it out at least once just so you can say you've been. :lol: Not so much hookers per se, though most of the clubs have a back room that you can take a dancer to if you buy a "bottle" as opposed to a drink... & you'll be getting a lot more than lap-dancing, anything goes for the right $$$. No telling what diseases you'd leave with though. :doh:

Oh yeah, the Sheraton is very close to Sliders and to M&T Bank Stadium, Harv. 

I'll be contacting the closer hotels to see if I can find a good group rate, which will be very tough considering it's New Year's Eve.  But I will try.

733229[/snapback]

Thanks for all the info re tailgate, I assume at some point we break up & go into the stadium. :lol: Where I'm staying isn't the Sheraton yet, I heard they're taking it over & renovating. It's listed as 6 blocks from Camden Yards, it's north of there, so I'm guessing it's 8 blocks from M&T. The hotel reviews were pretty bad on the internet, but I got the whole package-flights Saturday & Sunday & the hotel for $285.50 so I figured as long as I survive the night I'll be ok.

Do you know if I can bring dirty laundry & stuff into the stadium? I'm going straight to the airport after the game. If not I might wear same shirt & pants as Saturday & toss the rest.

(formerly)Collegeguy inspired me....

Leaving for a business trip in B'more today.....have 2 nights to eat out.....

Where should I go?

I'll be staying north of downtown near Johns Hopkins. Inner Harbor would be nice. No chains please.

Thanks in advance.

732802[/snapback]

Take a walk a few blocks from the Harbor into Little Italy and pick almost any restaurant there which appears dimly lit inside. You won't be disappointed. Just have someone point you to little Italy.

I did the last time the Bills played there, and I loved it.

Crabs: O'Brickey's or Bo Brooks

Italian: Sabatino's in Little Italy

Late Night drunk food: Pollack Johnny's on the Block.

Shrimp Salad with a view: The Bay Cafe

PTR

733535[/snapback]

Dam, haven't been to the bay cafe in ages, if its the same place im thinking bout, good call!!!!

Crabs: O'Brickey's or Bo Brooks

Italian: Sabatino's in Little Italy

Late Night drunk food: Pollack Johnny's on the Block.

Shrimp Salad with a view: The Bay Cafe

PTR

733535[/snapback]

O'Brickey's is great!