Bills Sign ex Raven FB Alan Ricard

JoeF

I'm getting the impression that the ne regime is looking to have as much competition in camp as possible, giving the impression that no one is safe, and you are going to have to earn your spot this year.

732783[/snapback]

Exactly!!!!!!

I'm getting the impression that the ne regime is looking to have as much competition in camp as possible, giving the impression that no one is safe, and you are going to have to earn your spot this year.

732783[/snapback]

eeeeexcept when it comes to the #8 pick...

:D

eeeeexcept when it comes to the #8 pick...

:D

732801[/snapback]

Kinda tough to earn your starting spot when you're not in camp at all.

If/when he signs, I don't want the Bills to coddle him and give him his starting spot. Earn it like everyone else.

I like this pick-up a ton. Ricard was/is one bad-ass FB. He just buried guys not too long ago. The Bills have nothing to lose and much to gain with this one. If he is healthy, he could become very valuable. If he isn't he is just one more cut.

Lets all just relax, if he was this good or has this much upside as a signing he would have been in someone else's camp by now. My point is yes, this seems like a decent signing, but lets not get too crazy here, he is a backup fullback.

Lets all just relax, if he was this good or has this much upside as a signing he would have been in someone else's camp by now. My point is yes, this seems like a decent signing, but lets not get too crazy here, he is a backup fullback.

732864[/snapback]

He was. He was in the Bills camp a week or so ago after he was cut. They wanted him then. He decided to go to two other camps, Houston and Cinci, because he promised them he would, but he felt the Bills had the best opportunity.

Seems like damaged goods.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...sports-football

732766[/snapback]

Definitely some reasonable concern that he is damaged goods, but also given that he was invited to visit by some other teams and also there was even some trade talk about getting rights to him, but no one saw the need to give up trade value for a player who was going to be cut it did not happen.

I like the Bills situation regarding Ricard, because these questions can be answered by how he plays performs and survives on the field rather than some genius like TD making a judgment in the front office.

A key trying to figure this out what is most likely before reality happens (like good Americans we refuse to wait for reality) is to what extent was he not worth the Ravens nickel because of the past calf injuries and the pop in his calf he felt recently or to what extent was he let go because it is clear from the article in the Baltimore Sun they had a different O scheme they were pursuing.

I think the ultimate answer to the question above as to whether they have given up on Shelton, I think the answer is no. They have not totally given up on him, they are merely requiring that he win the job by competing on the field.

The best sign here is that decisions are being made on an assessment of how a player performs in competition rather than how he performs in TD, Modtrak, GW, MM or even Ralph's head. This difference is great.

Meh... I'd rather see them concentrate on 3 WR sets & 2 TE sets.

732871[/snapback]

I actually agree, but a concentration on 3WR and 2 TE sets should not (and actually cannot for a good team) mean we totally exclude the ability to play full house sets with the backfield employing a smashmouth FB.

Fine for me if this is Ricard and fine for me if this is Shelton.

A bit depends on the contract details, but given that we are sitting on ample cap room this year Isee little to lose and potentially much to gain by having Ricard compete with Shelton on the field for this job.

I see this as real competition for Shelton. They released Derrick Ming, and they're bringing in another guy who can compete with Shelton and Goldsberry for two FB/ST spots. Previous blocker for Jamal Lewis's record.