Here's my Training Camp Report from 7/31/06

We are now on Day 3 of Buffalo Bills Training camp. The Buffalo Bills finally came out wearing pads and had some hitting for a change. That was nice to see. They didn't do a lot of hard hits, but this was the first time that full contact was made. The players worked on a bunch of 11-on-11 drills and also some more special teams drills, along with the usual 7-on-7 and individual drills. By having Craig Nall out with an injury, this split the reps evenly with the quarterbacks. Both JP Losman and Kelly Holcomb shared the practice time and again neither one stood out.

Just like before, the team did the usual individual drills. The quarterbacks worked with the receivers and both of them made some nice throws. JP Losman did a nice job with some downfield throws to the receivers. On the other side of the field, the lines worked against eachother. I specifically watched John McCargo and Kyle Williams. McCargo showed his speed when he got by Justin Geisinger on one drill by pulling him down and then getting around him. Kyle Williams made some nice moves on Melvin Fowler and on one play spun around to get at the quarterback dummy. Ryan Denney also did a nice job at getting around the tackle.

CLICK HERE for the rest of the article

We are now on Day 3 of Buffalo Bills Training camp. The Buffalo Bills finally came out wearing pads and had some hitting for a change.  That was nice to see. They didn't do a lot of hard hits, but this was the first time that full contact was made. The players worked on a bunch of 11-on-11 drills and also some more special teams drills, along with the usual 7-on-7 and individual drills. By having Craig Nall out with an injury, this split the reps evenly with the quarterbacks.  Both JP Losman and Kelly Holcomb shared the practice time and again neither one stood out.

Just like before, the team did the usual individual drills. The quarterbacks worked with the receivers and both of them made some nice throws. JP Losman did a nice job with some downfield throws to the receivers. On the other side of the field, the lines worked against eachother. I specifically watched John McCargo and Kyle Williams. McCargo showed his speed when he got by Justin Geisinger on one drill by pulling him down and then getting around him. Kyle Williams made some nice moves on Melvin Fowler and on one play spun around to get at the quarterback dummy. Ryan Denney also did a nice job at getting around the tackle.

CLICK HERE for the rest of the article

732394[/snapback]

Was the qb dummy Kelly Holcomb ? :D

Thanks for the report, I especially liked your take on Ryan Denney... I for one wouldn't mind see him starting over Kelsay. RD has been much-maligned over the years but I thought he was one of our better players in 2005, hope he keeps improving.

Many thanks for your observations! In general, I find them very helpful because of the great level of detail you provide and you do a great job of pulling off the difficult task of stating your opinion without clearly having an agenda (beyond love for the TEAM) which cause a writer to see what they want to see.

I like it alot that you clearly have a point of view about who looked good and who did not in terms of their actions, but your writing is not twisted by you also having an agenda or liking this player or hating that one.

It really helps a writer make a good report which communicates good info to the reader.

Thanks!

Even though JP had some bad passes, that were mostly low, I like what I heard about him. Stepping up to avoid the rush and completing passes is a good thing. I think that with his arm strength, he's still learning how to put touch on the shorter passes, which was probably his problem today, along with having problems with the snap from Geisinger.

Thanks, Mike!

Are you going to be there tomorrow night?

So far it looks like I will be at night camp on 8/1, 8/3, and 8/8.

I'll be wearing my #81 with Rockpile (not Price) on the back.

Ironically, I got it for $10 in a bargain bin when Price was cut. :D

Many thanks for your observations!  In general, I find them very helpful because of the great level of detail you provide and you do a great job of pulling off the difficult task of stating your opinion without clearly having an agenda (beyond love for the TEAM) which cause a writer to see what they want to see.

I like it alot that you clearly have a point of view about who looked good and who did not in terms of their actions, but your writing is not twisted by you also having an agenda or liking this player or hating that one.

It really helps a writer make a good report which communicates good info to the reader.

Thanks!

732430[/snapback]

Thanks for you comments. I find it very hard to not be a homer with JP Losman over Holcomb and all, but i gotta do it to be fair.

Why is Kingsbury even in camp if they're not going to use him?

732520[/snapback]

They need lots of QBs to throw practice passes with speed and pace to the tons of receivers competing for a job. JP, KH and Nall are there to work on their own games. Kingsbury is there to help PP, Parrish and even Fast Freddy work on their games.

They'd rather have somebody who will never make the roster because they are a couple of steps below pro level throw passes to the WRs who will make the roster than have some scrub ballboy throw passes to our WRs.

Foe Kingsbiry it is a paycheck for playing a boys game, an opportunity to hang with a bunch of athletes as a peer briefly, at least dreams of making a pro roster, training that may help you get a good college coaching job, potentially a ride being a well-regarded pro in Europe (a friend who tried out for the Bills and MI and never made the roster played for a couple of years in Europe as one of the couple of Americans each team was allowed. In Europe he never paid for a meal for two years, got a nice wage and they even flew over a buddy to hang with him and keep him happy vause he did not soeak Italian.

In addition, a member of a pro team even briefly you get all the girls you can eat at bars for a while.

For some combo of these reasons Kingsbury is around.

Why is Kingsbury even in camp if they're not going to use him?

732520[/snapback]

Good question. I was starting to wonder that myself. Last year Tory Woodbury saw some action in camp. they arent giving any time to Kingsbury.