Whittner/Bills differing on length of contract

http://buffalobills.com/blog/?blogger_id=1

It's only a guess, but a logical one, from Chris Brown. Seeing that dollars are slotted, the only sticking point left is the length of the deal. Whittner's camp wants 5 years, the Bills want 6. Hopefully the can comprimise on a 6 year deal with the last year voidable, or something.

Sorry to disappoint the "Ralph is cheap" folks.

PTR

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that seems to be the deal with a lot of first rounders.

rosenhaus said last night on TV down here that that is the same hang up the fins are having with their 1st rounder jason allen.

one way to get around it is letting them sign a 5 yr deal and putting in an option for a 6th year.

If Huff and Sims signed 5-year deals, then Donte should get one as well.

A 5-year contract can be better for the team anyways if the player ends up sucking...

less cap $ to eat once you cut him.

Nice

"I was a little more encouraged a couple of days ago than I am now," Bills general manager Marv Levy said Monday. Levy added there's been little progress in talks with Whitner's agent, Jonathan Hurst, and the Bills have even had difficulty reaching the player by phone, saying the four numbers they have for Whitner have been disconnected.

:D

If Huff and Sims signed 5-year deals, then Donte should get one as well.

A 5-year contract can be better for the team anyways if the player ends up sucking...

less cap $ to eat once you cut him.

732192[/snapback]

I don't see the length of Sims contract as being all that relevant. Its the Huff contract that really gives Whitner leverage.

Nice

"I was a little more encouraged a couple of days ago than I am now," Bills general manager Marv Levy said Monday. Levy added there's been little progress in talks with Whitner's agent, Jonathan Hurst, and the Bills have even had difficulty reaching the player by phone, saying the four numbers they have for Whitner have been disconnected.

732244[/snapback]

Just saw that. At least Leinhart was in Arizona just in case he got the contract signed. Whitner is still on campus, probably milking his celebrity there for all its worth.

What a fuggin tool. Get your azz to camp, becasue like Marv said, "the odds of him earning the starting SS spot are diminishing by the day."

Nice

732244[/snapback]

He's a Marv kind of guy.

Bowen  would be a better option than Coy. 

You can't win the job if you don't make it into camp.  He is not earning the endorsement of his teammates either, I'm sure.

732314[/snapback]

I doubt that. Since all the players have been in the position of trying to negotiate the right deal for themselves, I'm sure they understand. If anything, they probably sympathize with him.

Nice

732244[/snapback]

amazing we dont have the freaking phone number for the guy. Someone needs to get Whitner by the neck and shake sense into him sign the freaking deal a hold out hurts you.