Red Wings sign Hasek

Peter

Refresh my memory...didn't Hasek retire from the Sabres, to move back to the Czekoslovakia with his family, and proceed to beat a player there, in the Czeck leauge, pretty badly? IIRC he was banned from that leauge, thus the endless signings, and re-signings in the NHL...Hasek has to rank right up there with Elbert Dubenion as the most mystifying and complex sports hero in Buffalo sports history. You have to appreciate what they did while in Buffalo, but they are both kind of hard to like...

Refresh my memory...didn't Hasek retire from the Sabres, to move back to the Czekoslovakia with his family, and proceed to beat a player there, in the Czeck leauge, pretty badly?  IIRC he was banned from that leauge, thus the endless signings, and re-signings in the NHL...Hasek has to rank right up there with Elbert Dubenion as the most mystifying and complex sports hero in Buffalo sports history.  You have to appreciate what they did while in Buffalo, but they are both kind of hard to like...

732407[/snapback]

I'm guessing you meant Cookie Gilchrist, not Duby...

I'm guessing you meant Cookie Gilchrist, not Duby...

732445[/snapback]

No, I meant Elbert Dubenion, that old codger! :D

Seriously, you are correct...I am losing my mind! I meant Cookie...I am not old enough to remenber seeing him play, but the older Bills fans in my family always talked about how great he was, but what a jerk he was...kind of the feelings I always had about Hasek...just a very hard personality to warm up to...

No, I meant Elbert Dubenion, that old codger! :D 

Seriously, you are correct...I am losing my mind!  I meant Cookie...I am not old enough to remenber seeing him play, but the older Bills fans in my family always talked about how great he was, but what a jerk he was...kind of the feelings I always had about Hasek...just a very hard personality to warm up to...

732714[/snapback]

Someone who covered the AFL-era Bills once told me Gilchrist was the greatest player he ever saw (and yes, that includes Jim Brown), but also maybe the strangest person he'd ever met.

Hasek has to be right up there on the head-case scale, though. Heck, even Terrell Owens hasn't tried to strangle a reporter (yet).

And as Dan already mentioned - who knew he'd take that "Red Wing forever!" quote so seriously? :lol: