Montezumas Revenge on a cruise

cromagnum

Nothing like a buffet line on a cruise for food poisoning or getting the revenge.  People handling the food, food not staying at the right temperature, food left out to long.  You want to get sick...go to the buffet.

732070[/snapback]

I don't get it, in hotels and restaurants (in LA anyway) we had to jump through hoops to make sure food was safe. The industry changed dramatically in the last 3 years I was in it (1998-2001) in regard to food safety. I'm not sure what's going on on these cruise ships but their getting a bad rap, and rightly so.

Can we get an all cromagnum, all the time forum?   :angry:

732057[/snapback]

Sorry, about the humor in ''two post'' I definitely should have used the ''edit feature, I forgot, huge mistake, I'll try to rememeber next time..

I actually got the message sent to me in PPP ....So I deleted every thing. just about.....And changed the theme of the thread from left to right.....To make ammends <_< Human error, nothing more nothing less...Care for a plate of apologies served by me, on a cellulouse paper plate?

I don't get it, in hotels and restaurants (in LA anyway) we had to jump through hoops to make sure food was safe.  The industry changed dramatically in the last 3 years I was in it (1998-2001) in regard to food safety.  I'm not sure what's going on on these cruise ships but their getting a bad rap, and rightly so.

732084[/snapback]

When you think about how many cruises are going on at a time and how many people are on each ship, the numbers don't seem that high. It happens in restaurants all the time, but doesn't get reported as much because you don't have a high concentration of people (and most people don't report getting food poisoning, they just wait it out for a day or two).

IMHO, this is a non-story.

CW

I don't get it, in hotels and restaurants (in LA anyway) we had to jump through hoops to make sure food was safe.  The industry changed dramatically in the last 3 years I was in it (1998-2001) in regard to food safety.  I'm not sure what's going on on these cruise ships but their getting a bad rap, and rightly so.

732084[/snapback]

I just read a book, Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity: Get Out the Shovel--Why Everything You Know is Wrong, and in one section he talks about restaurant kitchens, and how clean they are supposed to be. Well, he went to one restaurant inspectors home to check out their kitchen, and it was "filthy" according to the standards they look for in commercial kitchens.

I just read a book, Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity: Get Out the Shovel--Why Everything You Know is Wrong, and in one section he talks about restaurant kitchens, and how clean they are supposed to be. Well, he went to one restaurant inspectors home to check out their kitchen, and it was "filthy" according to the standards they look for in commercial kitchens.

732463[/snapback]

I have been in the restaurant business 21 years and where I have worked is top notch when it comes to sanitizing, rotation, turning product, freshness, etc. That being said I know many other restaurants I would never eat at. We reject product if its not up to par- what we reject the next restaurant accepts. I hear horror stories from repairmen and friends who have worked in other kitchens. I will not eat at any local Chinese restaurants. You really are putting alot of trust into the restaurant that serves you. Foodborne illnesses are no fun

I have been in the restaurant business 21 years and where I have worked is top notch when it comes to sanitizing, rotation, turning product, freshness, etc.  That being said I know many other restaurants I would never eat at.  We reject product if its not up to par- what we reject the next restaurant accepts.  I hear horror stories from repairmen and friends who have worked in other kitchens.  I will not eat at any local Chinese restaurants.  You really are putting alot of trust into the restaurant that serves you.  Foodborne illnesses are no fun

732488[/snapback]

You've been a busboy for 21 years? Right on man, good pension in that.

I

would recommend the book Kitchen Confidential and the various sequels not only for a great read but for information regarding restaurants. One pointer the author (a New York City chef who apparently is more an author and celeb these days) gives for checking out a restaurant is to check the toilet facilities. If they are not clean, he says, you can be pretty sure the rest of the place is suspect...and leave. He calls the buffet the owners delight as it can be designed to fill people up on the cheap stuff in the beginning with the expensive things at the back. He calls the buffet line a disease petri dish as the food tends to stay too long, too many people are touching, breathing on, and sneezing on the food, and he recommends avoiding it at all costs.

I

would recommend the book Kitchen Confidential and the various sequels not only for a great read but for information regarding restaurants.  One pointer the author (a New York City chef who apparently is more an author and celeb these days) gives for checking out a restaurant is to check the toilet facilities.  If they are not clean, he says, you can be pretty sure the rest of the place is suspect...and leave.  He calls the buffet the owners delight as it can be designed to fill people up on the cheap stuff in the beginning with the expensive things at the back.  He calls the buffet line a disease petri dish as the food tends to stay too long, too many people are touching, breathing on, and sneezing on the food, and he recommends avoiding it at all costs.

732795[/snapback]

I agree, it's a good read, and pretty much spot on regarding the restaurant biz.

I

would recommend the book Kitchen Confidential and the various sequels not only for a great read but for information regarding restaurants.  One pointer the author (a New York City chef who apparently is more an author and celeb these days) gives for checking out a restaurant is to check the toilet facilities.  If they are not clean, he says, you can be pretty sure the rest of the place is suspect...and leave.  He calls the buffet the owners delight as it can be designed to fill people up on the cheap stuff in the beginning with the expensive things at the back.  He calls the buffet line a disease petri dish as the food tends to stay too long, too many people are touching, breathing on, and sneezing on the food, and he recommends avoiding it at all costs.

732795[/snapback]

Oh just great :doh:

One of the main dinners at my upcoming Navy reunion in Nashville is going to served buffet style.....and this is scheduled for the second night that we are there :lol: