Why I moved my HQ to Philly...

-- Warning: this post requires objectivity and critical thinking skills. It is also long. Therefore, it requires a relatively decent attention span. All political party drones and ADD kids should move on now:) I am not responsible for any ruffled feathers, emotional distress or making you think - as dangerous as that is for a few of you. This is basically an open letter and while I am interested in your responses, my goal here is to provide a platform for thinking, not necessarily comment.

Moving on:

Ah yes, this is why we have the largest out-of-town fan club in professional sports. What was I thinking? - I came to 2 Bills drive to hear about camp and, What a surprise! niagarafallsreporter has applied their typical negative conjecture on the Bills too!

Exploiters of Negativity.lamers-r-us.com

I am so sick of the negative attitude that prevails in upstate(read: anywhere above Orange County) New York. Please understand, my parents are from the Falls. I was born in Texas(yes Army Brat) - I have never lived anywhere for long, both growing up and working, but I actually went to most of High School in upstate New York. While there I learned what it meant to be from WNY(Southern Tier), or at least the surrounding area, and those values have been key to my existence ever since.

When I left California start-up computer work for good - 2000 - I couldn't wait to return to a place where I "knew" that people had a stand up attitude under all circumstances and could be counted on to maintain the values our grandparents taught us. Most people in the Silicon Valley can't even comprehend this. It's not that they are stupid, they are simply ignorant to our supposed shared values. It's kinda like teaching a Pigmy about gunpowder. Upon returning to upstate, I was shocked to find endless variations on the theme which the article above defines consistently. That is: the area sucks, the people suck, if anyone does anything to improve things we are gonna say it sucks before it even starts(sound familiar?).

Before anyone starts to question the relevance/verity of my statments please understand that my uncle introduced me to, and spoke at length with, most of the staff of this so-called newspaper in a bar in Niagara Falls. Suffice it to say that my family has helped to create/uphold the original Democratic Party principles most of us were raised with, if not exposed to, since before all of us were born. More simply: politics - that's why I was introduced. Having met these NFR(New Found Retards) guys personally, please let me tell you that they are nothing more than used car salesman.

Rather than advocate for positive change - or even better - keeping the positives we do have and changing the bad stuff, they have seen an opportunity:

Take a negative situation, sensationalize it, and get others to either go along or be ridiculed.

This is what both Stalin and Hitler did initially, except the NFR guys do it without the megalomanical goals - they simply want to trade influence and/or make money. Truthfully, they are too low-end to ever approach Stalin's level.

Here in Philadelphia, I am responsible for my people before everything - especially myself. Believe me when I say that, minus the smoking in the bar thing, I would much rather be in Buffalo. BTW, I love the crew of Backers we have in Philly(over 100 now from all walks of life - 0 dummies). But seriously: Who wouldn't want to have season tickets and not have to fly to get there? However, I cannot ask my people to buy property in a place where apparently the attitude, and therefore the general thinking, is: "we suck before we even try".

I like Philly because it has the same "my work speaks, not my mouth" attitude as Buffalo, without the pantywaist nonsense we get to hear from niagarafallsreporter.com. I cannot ask people to trust me, move to Buffalo, try to enjoy the area, and wake up in the morning being told they live in a sh!thole.

If you are reading this and want the area to improve PLEASE, stop bitching, start thinking positively and/or proactivley and give those of us who have the means to return and make positive changes something to work with. Moreover, please don't tolerate any more negative exploitation.

Before you start yelling cop-out please understand that my original HQ was in NY. Before I moved back to Philly I spent 3 years trying to convince the NY politicians that we could create a brand new Valley(let's see: we have the educational institutions, we have the people, we have the infrastructure, and my guess is it doesn't cost $150 a night to stay at any Motel 6 within 100 miles of Buffalo - like it does within 100 miles of San Francisco) but all I heard was "we need to spend our money on factories cause manufacturing is what we do in WNY(read: I need to placate the dying manufacturing unions so I can get votes)". The truth is that these "pillars of the community" have clearly had the world pass them by, or they don't have the intellectual honesty to represent the long-term interests of those who they claim to "fight for". These Democrats are the lowest form of life on the planet.

For the Republicans in the group: please understand - the average stud computer guy/girl from upstate doesn't mind paying high taxes as long as we can guarantee a return in terms of new rookie programmers(or engineers, sales, etc.) we can count on. So stop talking about taxes and start talking about (my new phrase I invented 2 seconds ago):

Talent Reclamation

My peers and I represent a natural resource that is just waiting for someone to give us a reason to move home. We want to live in NY and we don't mind heavy social services as it will, or at least should, benefit us long term. Buddy - we are from New York - do you honestly believe that we can't reasonably deal with coming from behind when it comes to tax rates and other states? It ain't taxes - it's lack of creativity and knowing we have a partner in government that makes us move or stay away. Moreover, it's your party's need to ensure that the old guy stays in power no matter how many times he screws up - so that if you do it long enough you get to be the old guy.

Also for Conservative Republicans: we don't need your "leadership". We are the leaders, not you. We are the guys/girls who create cool stuff from scratch. We did not inherit our daddy's business/influence/money and thereby create things that benefit the club(I was in a wealthy fraternity - because my parents busted their asses - so I know the deal) and not everyone. We also don't then promptly turn around and thank God(should say Daddy) for our "blessings". For myself, I thank God for what I should: the talent, drive and balls to make it happen in the face of withering adversity - and the sense of duty that requires me to use those gifts. We are not the ones who stand straws on edge, knock them over, and because we can do that year in and year out call ourselves "business leaders". As always, there are a few exceptions but not many in the Republican party.

What we do need is a clear and consistent partnership between corporations(however lame) and excellent educational institutions - how the hell did UC-Santa Barbara become the best MIS(business and computers as a major) school in the country? Answer: Shitloads of post-graduate placement at the best IT companies in the world who just happen to be 30-40 minutes down the road. This will give us the best opportunity to retain our talent. We need to get the old bastards out on the golf course rather than in the board room. Or, we need to free the old bastards who know what I am talking about from the old bastards who do not, and let them lead the way. I am sure that: they exist, that they will lend their "old bastardness" to the effort if allowed:), and that they are capable of leading.

Of course the flip side of my argument is: why didn't I stand and fight? Answer: Maybe if I was a lawyer - like my best friend who still lives in Buffalo - I could have. Unfortunately(fortunately from my perspective) my work requires teams - not individuals. I have to think about my people, not just myself. Niagara Falls Reporter has the exact opposite values we(I think) have. As long as they can exploit($$$) the negative wave, and you allow them and those like them to, they will.

If you want positive change in WNY, I suggest we start with attitude. We already have the hustle. Maybe we need a coach besides Golisano and his "I started my company with $3,000"(and the part most don't know - millions in State and Federal aid!) nonsense to motivate the entire area. Please, before you say anything, understand that paychex has offered me a significant job - twice! Tom has done a great job in turning around the Sabres. But, let's see if he can find a way to sign our whole team from last year. Does he even want to?

Either way - negativity breeds negativity. I don't live there still so I guess it's up to you! Perhaps after we move into our next phase we can take another look at WNY. But, I refuse to do it alone again! I am coming back to WNY next week, family reunion stuff, and, in addition to trying to get to training camp:), and have set up a few meetings to see what's what. Regardless of all I have said here I am doing what I can personally to keep a positive outlook on WNY! I hope that you all expect the same from yourselves.

>>>>>-- Warning: this post requires objectivity and critical thinking skills. It is also long. Therefore, it requires a relatively decent attention span. All political party drones and ADD kids should move on now:) I am not responsible for any ruffled feathers, emotional distress or making you think - as dangerous as that is for a few of you. This is basically an open letter and while I am interested in your responses, my goal here is to provide a platform for thinking, not necessarily comment.<<<<<

I found the content of your post to be of interest. It is also good that you have so much self confidence.

The thing is, the above paragraph implies that you are simply WAY smarter than most of the posters here, and I just happen to doubt this. The last sentence says a ton.

Again, thanks for a decent post, but you might be well served to save the self-hype and the condescension for those who are in awe of your brilliance and achievement.

With all you have stated about yourself, I'm sure that list is rather long. <_<

Now, if you read this CTM, how about if you fall in line and give this person the respect he is due as an intellectual!

You must love condecsending pseudo-intellectuals. Not sure what we have here.

732001[/snapback]

Oh, there are some of us here. The rest just aspire to be...

I am a "conservative republican" that I hope would be considered an exception in most of the things you talked about. I do see the problem with people doing nothing but B word, B word, B word... It happens all over; not just Buffalo.

I certainly did not inherit any material thing to get where I am; my father worked for Loblaws and was in the Union. I passed out Democrat flyers door-to-door... I lived on the East Side of Buffalo; went to Niagara University; worked at Bell Aerospace... I am a software geek...

I do find it hard to get past the "taxes" thing when I consider that my property taxes in WNY would be more than my annual mortgage payments in Indiana. And I understand the need for social spending; but all too often see it wasted on those that don't need it, don't want it, don't work for it, don't have any incentive to get off it, etc.

As the population in Buffalo dwindles, the taxes per capita keep going up instead of the cost of services no longer necessary in Buffalo being reduced or eliminated.

It would be great if WNY were the "valley" of something other than what it appears to becoming...

Aspire to be a pseudo-intellectual?  What would an aspiring pseudo-intellectual be?  A faux pseudo-intellectual?

732028[/snapback]

Wouldn't a faux pseudo-intellectual not recognize that he's not a pseudo-intellectual?

Anyhoo, what are training wheels equivalents befor you get to full fledged pseudo status? NYC nightclubs have velvet ropes for the pseudo-hip crowd, what does this place have?

el oh el

You realize you sound like a whiny computer nerd right?

Anyway, responding to your post:

-- Warning: this post requires objectivity and critical thinking skills. It is also long. Therefore, it requires a relatively decent attention span. All political party drones and ADD kids should move on now:) I am not responsible for any ruffled feathers, emotional distress or making you think - as dangerous as that is for a few of you. This is basically an open letter and while I am interested in your responses, my goal here is to provide a platform for thinking, not necessarily comment.

Moving on:

Ah yes, this is why we have the largest out-of-town fan club in professional sports. What was I thinking? - I came to 2 Bills drive to hear about camp and, What a surprise! niagarafallsreporter has applied their typical negative conjecture on the Bills too!

I am so sick of the negative attitude that prevails in upstate(read: anywhere above Orange County) New York. Please understand, my parents are from the Falls. I was born in Texas(yes Army Brat) - I have never lived anywhere for long, both growing up and working, but I actually went to most of High School in upstate New York. While there I learned what it meant to be from WNY(Southern Tier), or at least the surrounding area, and those values have been key to my existence ever since.

First of all, get off your high horse. Condescention and whining don't go hand in hand.

Oh noes! A newspaper article was negative, whatever shall we do! And on top of that, it was an opinion piece!

WE'RE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED.

Guess what? Reality sucks. The Bills had a top 10 draft pick last year, which means they sucked. And you suck for not realizing that this is the case.

When I left California start-up computer work for good - 2000 - I couldn't wait to return to a place where I "knew" that people had a stand up attitude under all circumstances and could be counted on to maintain the values our grandparents taught us. Most people in the Silicon Valley can't even comprehend this. It's not that they are stupid, they are simply ignorant to our supposed shared values. It's kinda like teaching a Pigmy about gunpowder. Upon returning to upstate, I was shocked to find endless variations on the theme which the article above defines consistently. That is: the area sucks, the people suck, if anyone does anything to improve things we are gonna say it sucks before it even starts(sound familiar?).

Before anyone starts to question the relevance/verity of my statments please understand that my uncle introduced me to, and spoke at length with, most of the staff of this so-called newspaper in a bar in Niagara Falls. Suffice it to say that my family has helped to create/uphold the original Democratic Party principles most of us were raised with, if not exposed to, since before all of us were born. More simply: politics - that's why I was introduced. Having met these NFR(New Found Retards) guys personally, please let me tell you that they are nothing more than used car salesman.

No wonder why you are a Democrat: can't see reality.

The area does suck, and one easy change isn't going to make it better. It would take years and years, and quite frankly, other cities and areas have so many benefits that you have to question whether it would be worth it.

I love the people, the food, the comraderie, but look at it from someone else's point of view that didn't grow up with it: it sucks.

Rather than advocate for positive change - or even better - keeping the positives we do have and changing the bad stuff, they have seen an opportunity:

Take a negative situation, sensationalize it, and get others to either go along or be ridiculed.

This is what both Stalin and Hitler did initially, except the NFR guys do it without the megalomanical goals - they simply want to trade influence and/or make money. Truthfully, they are too low-end to ever approach Stalin's level.

rofl, did you just compare Buffalo to Stalin/Hitler?

I like Philly because it has the same "my work speaks, not my mouth" attitude as Buffalo, without the pantywaist nonsense we get to hear from niagarafallsreporter.com. I cannot ask people to trust me, move to Buffalo, try to enjoy the area, and wake up in the morning being told they live in a sh!thole.

If you are reading this and want the area to improve PLEASE, stop bitching, start thinking positively and/or proactivley and give those of us who have the means to return and make positive changes something to work with. Moreover, please don't tolerate any more negative exploitation.

Before you start yelling cop-out please understand that my original HQ was in NY. Before I moved back to Philly I spent 3 years trying to convince the NY politicians that we could create a brand new Valley(let's see: we have the educational institutions, we have the people, we have the infrastructure, and my guess is it doesn't cost $150 a night to stay at any Motel 6 within 100 miles of Buffalo - like it does within 100 miles of San Francisco) but all I heard was "we need to spend our money on factories cause manufacturing is what we do in WNY(read: I need to placate the dying manufacturing unions so I can get votes)". The truth is that these "pillars of the community" have clearly had the world pass them by, or they don't have the intellectual honesty to represent the long-term interests of those who they claim to "fight for". These Democrats are the lowest form of life on the planet.

Haven't lived there long has you?

To the rest of your post: You've oversimplified a very complex relationship between schools, talent, and jobs.

School's don't just magically get to place people into companies. They have to build a program first. This takes years, and tons of money.

Guess what else it takes? It takes companies to move into that area.

Lets just magically throw a lightswitch and make it all better!

Moving on:

Here in Philadelphia, I am responsible for my people before everything - especially myself. Believe me when I say that, minus the smoking in the bar thing, I would much rather be in Buffalo. BTW, I love the crew of Backers we have in Philly(over 100 now from all walks of life - 0 dummies). But seriously: Who wouldn't want to have season tickets and not have to fly to get there? However, I cannot ask my people to buy property in a place where apparently the attitude, and therefore the general thinking, is: "we suck before we even try".

For the Republicans in the group: please understand - the average stud computer guy/girl from upstate doesn't mind paying high taxes as long as we can guarantee a return in terms of new rookie programmers(or engineers, sales, etc.) we can count on. So stop talking about taxes and start talking about (my new phrase I invented 2 seconds ago):

Talent Reclamation

My peers and I represent a natural resource that is just waiting for someone to give us a reason to move home. We want to live in NY and we don't mind heavy social services as it will, or at least should, benefit us long term. Buddy - we are from New York - do you honestly believe that we can't reasonably deal with coming from behind when it comes to tax rates and other states? It ain't taxes - it's lack of creativity and knowing we have a partner in government that makes us move or stay away. Moreover, it's your party's need to ensure that the old guy stays in power no matter how many times he screws up - so that if you do it long enough you get to be the old guy.

Also for Conservative Republicans: we don't need your "leadership". We are the leaders, not you. We are the guys/girls who create cool stuff from scratch. We did not inherit our daddy's business/influence/money and thereby create things that benefit the club(I was in a wealthy fraternity - because my parents busted their asses - so I know the deal) and not everyone. We also don't then promptly turn around and thank God(should say Daddy) for our "blessings". For myself, I thank God for what I should: the talent, drive and balls to make it happen in the face of withering adversity - and the sense of duty that requires me to use those gifts. We are not the ones who stand straws on edge, knock them over, and because we can do that year in and year out call ourselves "business leaders". As always, there are a few exceptions but not many in the Republican party.

What we do need is a clear and consistent partnership between corporations(however lame) and excellent educational institutions - how the hell did UC-Santa Barbara become the best MIS(business and computers as a major) school in the country? Answer: Shitloads of post-graduate placement at the best IT companies in the world who just happen to be 30-40 minutes down the road. This will give us the best opportunity to retain our talent. We need to get the old bastards out on the golf course rather than in the board room. Or, we need to free the old bastards who know what I am talking about from the old bastards who do not, and let them lead the way. I am sure that: they exist, that they will lend their "old bastardness" to the effort if allowed:), and that they are capable of leading.

Of course the flip side of my argument is: why didn't I stand and fight? Answer: Maybe if I was a lawyer - like my best friend who still lives in Buffalo - I could have. Unfortunately(fortunately from my perspective) my work requires teams - not individuals. I have to think about my people, not just myself. Niagara Falls Reporter has the exact opposite values we(I think) have. As long as they can exploit($$$) the negative wave, and you allow them and those like them to, they will.

If you want positive change in WNY, I suggest we start with attitude. We already have the hustle. Maybe we need a coach besides Golisano and his "I started my company with $3,000"(and the part most don't know - millions in State and Federal aid!) nonsense to motivate the entire area. Please, before you say anything, understand that paychex has offered me a significant job - twice! Tom has done a great job in turning around the Sabres. But, let's see if he can find a way to sign our whole team from last year. Does he even want to?

Either way - negativity breeds negativity. I don't live there still so I guess it's up to you! Perhaps after we move into our  next phase we can take another look at WNY. But, I refuse to do it alone again! I am coming back to WNY next week, family reunion stuff, and, in addition to trying to get to training camp:), and have set up a few meetings to see what's what. Regardless of all I have said here I am doing what I can personally to keep a positive outlook on WNY! I hope that you all expect the same from yourselves.

731868[/snapback]

Are you kidding me? Philly's the whiniest town I've ever seen!

Seriously guys this was a rant. I wanted to provoke thought. I see I did that - that's all I wanted. Job done. As far as the personal attacks go - I am that confident(based on results not talk) so don't bother with trying to attack me personally - please, you'll be ignored at best. Plus all it does is weaken your position -i.e. if you can't repsond to what I am saying because you have nothing then attacking me as a last resort makes you look weak. Now on to business:

Whining would be trying to do what I did for only a year, or worse, talking about what I wanted to do but never actually kicking in. I am not whining->amazed that this is what came out of this since I spent a considerable amount of my own money and 3 years of my life. Rather, I am simply stating the facts as they happened.

Captain Obvious List:

We all know the Bills sucked last year. What's the point in focusing on the past?/Telling us that they are gonna suck this year? Negative conjecture sells these guys' newspaper, period.

I am neither a Democrat or Republican (reading comprehension is important - I clearly go after both sides here) but I generally vote the latter.

The area does not suck. I say again: the area does not suck. I thought we all knew that? Why are u saying it does?

I am not talking about the area, I am talking about the so-called leadership of the area.

Wait - it's going to take hard work, investment from business and government, and multiple years to get going? Really?

Buffalo and Stalin/Hitler (again reading comprehension is important) is just silly.

Most if not all of this, especially the --warning part, is written tongue-in-cheek. I am kidding - what you think I go around talking to people like this? This is my goofing around but getting your attention at the same time thing.

My question to you all is: If it's going to take years why don't we get started now? Think about it. What are the politicians waiting for? My grandmother's house in the Falls to be the only non-crackhouse? Also, it's not like we can't follow the same exact model that SF/SJ/Okland did. They arleady did the hard part, all we have to do is use their work.

Potential Misunderstandings:

Honestly - I certainly don't think I am above anyone on this board(excpet maybe that BF guy). Therefore condescention is not possible for me. If I consider you all equals, then I sure as hell cannot "lower" myself to your level. Anyway, that's not how I think, in any situation, and certainly not regarding u guys.

Bill - the last sentence is either a screw up on my part or you didn't take it right, probably a screw up on my part. I can see how it could be interpreted negatively. What I mean is: we all have to do something about positive action in WNY - not talk about it. I hate hypocrisy so I am explaining what I intend to do next week.

Finally, I cannot understand why a post like this moves some to focus on me rather than on what I am saying. Relating my personal experiences in an effort to define larger problems in WNY is the goal here. What do these larger problems have to do with me personally? As of now, not much. Acting like I could solve all this if everyone would simply listen to me - that would be ridiculous - and I could see that I would need to be smacked around. That's not what I posted. Regardless, the solution is not going to come from me personally. I don't have anywhere near the resources or the influence. The solution needs to come from all of us.

Anyway, I can't wait to go to camp on Monday+Tuesday I will take pictures and post them - might even find a way to get some video up.

Oh yeah I almost forgot:

Hey BlueFire: Check my signature - How the hell could I be a Democrat? :D

Seriously guys this was a rant. I wanted to provoke thought. I see I did that - that's all I wanted. Job done. As far as the personal attacks go - I am that confident(based on results not talk) so don't bother with trying to attack me personally - please, you'll be ignored at best. Plus all it does is weaken your position -i.e. if you can't repsond to what I am saying because you have nothing then attacking me as a last resort makes you look weak. Now on to business:

Whining would be trying to do what I did for only a year, or worse, talking about what I wanted to do but never actually kicking in. I am not whining->amazed that this is what came out of this since I spent a considerable amount of my own money and 3 years of my life. Rather, I am simply stating the facts as they happened.

Then perhaps it was worded poorly or everyone that thought that misunderstood, but thats what it seemed like.

Captain Obvious List:

We all know the Bills sucked last year. What's the point in focusing on the past?/Telling us that they are gonna suck this year? Negative conjecture sells these guys' newspaper, period.

Because the team seemingly got worse in some areas, better in others, and with a new coaching staff, a number of rookies, and a new system, odds are against them doing any better then they did last year.

Pointing to past results as a way to gauge future expectations is nothing new and more then logical here.

I am neither a Democrat or Republican (reading comprehension is important - I clearly go after both sides here) but I generally vote the latter.

And thus, based upon the 7-point Party Identification theory, you are a Republican. (This theory, by the way, has lots and lots of results/studies to back it up and what not. Pretty much as close to a law in political science as you can get).

So, since you seemed pissed (as any good Republican should be), my apologizes.

Not sure why the hell you said that you were raised as a Democrat then:

Suffice it to say that my family has helped to create/uphold the original Democratic Party principles most of us were raised with, if not exposed to, since before all of us were born.

Also, how the hell are you exposed to politics before you are born?

The area does not suck. I say again: the area does not suck. I thought we all knew that? Why are u saying it does?

I am not talking about the area, I am talking about the so-called leadership of the area.

Wait - it's going to take hard work, investment from business and government, and multiple years to get going? Really?

Really? It doesn't?

What advantages, exactly, does it offer over another region?

- Weather? No.

- Economy? No.

- An aging workforce? Nope.

- Taxes? No.

Buffalo and Stalin/Hitler (again reading comprehension is important) is just silly.Most if not all of this, especially the --warning part, is written tongue-in-cheek. I am kidding - what you think I go around talking to people like this? This is my goofing around but getting your attention at the same time thing.

No emoticons? No indication of sarcasm?

Internet skills ftw.

The reason why it was taken seriously, is there are people who really would think that way. The internet lets dumbasses like myself post every opinion ever thought like that anywhere.

My question to you all is: If it's going to take years why don't we get started now? Think about it. What are the politicians waiting for? My grandmother's house in the Falls to be the only non-crackhouse? Also, it's not like we can't follow the same exact model that SF/SJ/Okland did. They arleady did the hard part, all we have to do is use their work.

Because, quite frankly, why would anyone from outside the area want to invest in it?

At least California had some nice weather and land going for it.

Potential Misunderstandings:

Honestly - I certainly don't think I am above anyone on this board(excpet maybe that BF guy). Therefore condescention is not possible for me. If I consider you all equals, then I sure as hell cannot "lower" myself to your level. Anyway, that's not how I think, in any situation, and certainly not regarding u guys.

Bill - the last sentence is either a screw up on my part or you didn't take it right, probably a screw up on my part. I can see how it could be interpreted negatively. What I mean is: we all have to do something about positive action in WNY - not talk about it. I hate hypocrisy so I am explaining what I intend to do next week.

Anyway, I can't wait to go to camp on Monday+Tuesday I will take pictures and post them - might even find a way to get some video up.

Oh yeah I almost forgot:

Hey BlueFire: Check my signature - How the hell could I be a Democrat?  :D

732342[/snapback]

Cause you said you were raised one in your post.

Finally, I cannot understand why a post like this moves some to focus on me rather than on what I am saying. Relating my personal experiences in an effort to define larger problems in WNY is the goal here. What do these larger problems have to do with me personally? As of now, not much. Acting like I could solve all this if everyone would simply listen to me - that would be ridiculous - and I could see that I would need to be smacked around. That's not what I posted. Regardless, the solution is not going to come from me personally. I don't have anywhere near the resources or the influence. The solution needs to come from all of us.

732342[/snapback]

Because this is a well established message board. You're never going to get only specific, asked-for, logical responses to your posts or questions. Posters here have built up a long history, especially in the PPP forum, of bantering with each other rather than actually responding to the post. Or of challenging the poster to stick up for himself under verbal assaults usually reserved for the Supreme Court and the movie Defending Your Life. It's part of the TBD culture, and one of the best parts of the TBD culture. Your best hope is that some posters will actually respond the way you ask. You got 2-3 of those, so you're doing pretty well.

Whether you intended it or not, surely you came off as a know-it-all in your rant, and regardless of the legitimacy of some of your claims. You probably should feel good that more posters didn't attack you or the post or both for it. But it's part of the game here. It's a tough crowd.

Whether you intended it or not, surely you came off as a know-it-all in your rant, and regardless of the legitimacy of some of your claims. You probably should feel good that more posters didn't attack you or the post or both for it. But it's part of the game here. It's a tough crowd.

732360[/snapback]

There is that, too. The ease with which you got off as a first-time poster here is kind of complimentary, actually.

Plus...well, frankly, I just didn't have anything to say in response.

Because this is a well established message board. You're never going to get only specific, asked-for, logical repsonses to your posts or questions. Posters here have built up a long history, especially in the PPP forum, of bantering with each other rather than actually responding to the post. Or of challenging the poster to stick up for himself under verbal assaults usually reserved for the Supreme Court and the movie Defending Your Life. It's part of the TBD culture, and one of the best parts of the TBD culture. Your best hope is that some posters will actually respond the way you ask. You got 2-3 of those, so you're doing pretty well.

732360[/snapback]

Truthfully my biggest surprise is that anyone paid attention: figured it would be written off as raving lunacy(the know it all slant was intended - wanted to see what would happen :D). I am glad I finally left the ranks of lurkers and actually got an account this year. This is a lot of fun and I appreciate all of your perspectives. I only hope the Bills can improve this year so that we have more to say than "Oh no, we suck again".

Seriously guys this was a rant. I wanted to provoke thought. I see I did that - that's all I wanted. Job done.

Most if not all of this, especially the --warning part, is written tongue-in-cheek. I am kidding - what you think I go around talking to people like this? This is my goofing around but getting your attention at the same time thing.

732342[/snapback]

this is the lamest attempt at backtracking ever

"of course i know 5x5 is equal to 25 and not 30! i was just testing you!"

Philly.....one of the best qualities in Buffalo folk is the fact that they don't like to get BS'd. While many other regions are "more prosperous" and progressive, these same areas are usually more corrupt (the masses, not just govt.), and self-absorbed. There is no problem with starting debate, or proding.....but don't try to "sell" them something, be it a Jersey, a Bridge, or an outlook. Show me the facts and I will evaluate them and come to a conclusion. Simple and Sweet.

I just moved back to Buffalo after living in Miami for almost 10 years. It is nice to once again have a neighbor bring over a dish of food for no reason, or a person in the checkout aisle strike up a conversation with me to shorten the wait. It's nice to drink a $1.50 quality draft at a bar 2 blocks down, and be able to leave my keys and cellphone on the table while I take a whiz. Yes, the demographics scew older...and more blowhard, but I know when the crap hits the fan in any aspect of life, there are people here who genuinely care and want to help. Need a driveway shoveled...done. Need a job..."well my sister-in-law works at so and so, let me give her a call and see what she can do." For the love of all that is holy, you can't even adopt a dog at the SPCA because so many people give what they can here, including a home.

What Buffalo needs is for those who have been lucky to excel in their field outside of the area, to lead by example. You don't have to move back....but you can buy season tickets and give games to family or charity. Visit the area when you can, and maybe expose some others to the culture and hospitality we offer. Make sure to support local ventures, be it Buffalofoods.com, or Roswell Park.

I am convinced that a person who works hard and stays honest will eventually be rewarded. This area has too much good Karma built up for it not to explode upward in the near future. Until then, I'll be happy to listen to everyone B word and moan.....as long as they don't take my keys and my cellphone when I go to take a whiz.

OCinPhilly. Its nice to see posting like this, it really is. :doh:

I remember a poster, not long ago who used to post like this. His handle was cromagnum. Then he, well, then he went off the deep "tube" :doh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nejPtZ1gn0&search=drowning

My best wishes to you and  you silicone. ;)

732453[/snapback]

How in the hell did you find that video of ME ?:D

Your a big meanie :doh:

Still the same my man, just dabbling with links, new found skill. didn't know how to post a link before, kinda sad for 11 months computer use... :P Now, that video was friggen hilarious, you bastages.....Just you wait :D:D:doh: