This team reminds me of......

Remember the 2004 chargers who surprised everyone and played extraordinarilly well?

My dad, (since for this board a college student would be considered a very young one) is a chargers fan, and at the time he was describing all of the coaching moves are how the chargers got rid of some big name players, I believe David Boston and Marcellus Wiley, and instead got high motor guys who worked hard play after play. Last year my dad and I watch the Bills-Chargers game, and my dad said that Losman reminded him of a young Drew Brees when he had no offensive line.

Are there differences, of course. Having arguably the best back in the NFL as well as the best TE will definitely make a difference. Is it likely that I've drank some of the pre-season cool-aid, absolutely. However there are striking similarities, as well as the chargers and dolphins both looking like the 2004 bills. That can be another topic though.

Welcome to the board. Thanks for sharing your optimism.

The great thing about the modern NFL is, you never know who's going to be the surprise team. The Bills certainly appear to have many more hurdles to overcome than most teams, but they could be this year's surprise team. Who knows? More than any time in recent history, they are positioned to be unable to perform below expectations.

One of the great joys of being a fan is to let yourself believe, and to visualise your team winning, rooting them each step of the way.

I for one think that with the parity in today's NFL, coaching and team spirit are more important factors than ever. Players are able to cash in like never before, but it's the teams that gel together that seem harder to beat. Even if they aren't more competitive, I'll find it easier to cheer younger, hungrier players establishing themselves than established stars with dollar signs in their eyes.

I saw former Bills QB Rob Johnson at Giants training in Albany yesterday.  I forgot they signed him!

I wonder what he'd do if someone showed up wearing a number 7 Doug Flutie Bills jersey.

731692[/snapback]

I'll be there next week and will have my daughter wear my sons old Flutie jersey. <_<

Another similarity as that the Chargers OL was regarded as one of the worst in the league. The same could be said for the 2001 Pats. Of course for every one of those teams there are dozens of teams who were supposed to suck and indeed ended up sucking.

Optimism will get Bill's fans nowhere. In fact, it's what causes all the whining around November on this board.

Look up the Stockdale Paradox, and embrace it, for it will make you a much happier person.

In short, if you think the Bills are going to be much better this year, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. If you know the Bills are going to get better, it's just a matter of when, then you'll be a much happier fan. The Stockdale Paradox is of great help for those who always feel tortured and/or cheated every season.

Remember the 2004 chargers who surprised everyone and played extraordinarilly well?

My dad, (since for this board a college student would be considered a very young one) is a chargers fan, and at the time he was describing all of the coaching moves are how the chargers got rid of some big name players, I believe David Boston and Marcellus Wiley, and instead got high motor guys who worked hard play after play.  Last year my dad and I watch the Bills-Chargers game, and my dad said that Losman reminded him of a young Drew Brees when he had no offensive line.

Are there differences, of course.  Having arguably the best back in the NFL as well as the best TE will definitely make a difference.  Is it likely that I've drank some of the pre-season cool-aid, absolutely.  However there are striking similarities, as well as the chargers and dolphins both looking like the 2004 bills.  That can be another topic though.

731687[/snapback]

The biggest similarity will be if Losman can pull a Brees--have the light go on suddenly and throw for 25 TDs and only 7 ints. I don't think anyone here can dispute if that Losman has such a year, we will be in the playoffs and legit SB contenders. I know that's what I'm hoping for! <_<

Hey SS, do you recall if Brees showed signs of progress in that 2004 pre-season or the tail end of 2003? Or was it just overnight something clicked and no one saw it coming?

The biggest similarity will be if Losman can pull a Brees--have the light go on suddenly and throw for 25 TDs and only 7 ints. I don't think anyone here can dispute if that Losman has such a year, we will be in the playoffs and legit SB contenders. I know that's what I'm hoping for!  <_<

Hell, I'd take Brees' stats from LAST year, minus the injury of course. :angry:

I saw former Bills QB Rob Johnson at Giants training in Albany yesterday.  I forgot they signed him!

I wonder what he'd do if someone showed up wearing a number 7 Doug Flutie Bills jersey.

731692[/snapback]

I don't know how he'd do it but he'd manage to get hurt