2006 Prediction

FGD

Before I am tempted by the training camp kool-aid: 5-11

1, No pass rush when it counts, especially the 3 headed marshmellow of Denny/Bannan/Kelsey

2. Won't be able to run to closeout a game

3. Lindell

4. Losman's lack of accuracy

5. I hate to agree with Denny Green, but they did not let the draft come to them and by my calculation left 2 or 3 picks go by the wayside.

6. With a young QB you need really solid O-Line play especially at Center and I don't see that

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1,  No pass rush when it counts, especially the 3 headed marshmellow of Denny/Bannan/Kelsey

2.  Won't be able to run to closeout a game

3.  Lindell

4.  Losman's lack of accuracy

5.  I hate to agree with Denny Green, but they did not let the draft come to them and by my calculation left 2 or 3 picks go by the wayside.

6.  With a young QB you need really solid O-Line play especially at Center and I don't see that

731338[/snapback]

Lindell is suddenly a problem? Did you catch his stats last year after we gave him a decent long-snapper? There are a lot of reasons we'll suck this year. Lindell isn't one of them.

1,  No pass rush when it counts, especially the 3 headed marshmellow of Denny/Bannan/Kelsey

3.  Lindell

5.  I hate to agree with Denny Green, but they did not let the draft come to them and by my calculation left 2 or 3 picks go by the wayside.

6.  With a young QB you need really solid O-Line play especially at Center and I don't see that

731338[/snapback]

You are totslly correct with at least part of item #1. Bannan will not produice even 1 sack for this Bills team. I guess your point really shows who is the marshmellow here.

3.  Lindell

731338[/snapback]

Well, Bannan is no longer on the Bills...........Lindell finished 10th among NFL kickers who played in 16 games last year with an 82.9% field goal average......ahead of Elam, Vinatieri, Jeff Reed, Josh Brown, and John Kasay ( just to name a few).....and spare us the " He only makes chip shot FG's argument. He was the ONLY kicker who started 16 games to go 100% on is field goal attempts from 50 yards or more...going 3 for 3.

And I love how you know so much about our offensive line and our running game when we have a new offensive coordinator, new system, and 3 different starters from last season's opening day squad.

You can "calculate" your draft opinions all you want to.....but until they step on the field...it's all opinion. So, using that as an argument at this point is really pointless. They wanted Whitner, and they didnt believe they could be guaranteed to get him by trading down....so it wasn't worth an extra 3rd round pick to potentially miss out on the guy you targeted as YOUR guy in the first round. Dont risk the first round for an extra 3rd round pick.

3.  Lindell

731338[/snapback]

Well with this negative nancy attitude I'd say they'll go 0-86, they won't win a game for the next 6 or so years

I'm going with 8-8, if you break it down many of the positions have been upgraded, albeit maybe not by much, some by "addition by subtraction", some through the draft and some by younger players stepping up.

Will BB win the super bowl, very doubtful but this team will surprise this year.

19-0 until proven otherwise.

731419[/snapback]

exactly...

There's more hope in this season than last. It's too complicated to argue addition by subtraction, direction, and coaching, but i will say that the bills have all of that, which will make them a better team than they were last year.

And I love how you know so much about our offensive line and our running game when we have a new offensive coordinator, new system, and 3 different starters from last season's opening day squad.

You can "calculate" your draft opinions all you want to.....but until they step on the field...it's all opinion. So, using that as an argument at this point is really pointless.

731532[/snapback]

Wait you mean people are expressing opinions on a message board? WTF the nerve <_<

exactly...

There's more hope in this season than last.  It's too complicated to argue addition by subtraction, direction, and coaching,  but i will say that the bills have all of that, which will make them a better team than they were last year.

731655[/snapback]

I'm not sure I agree there. First you have to look at the subtractions; and none loom larger than Eric Moulds.

Then there's the offensive line. Whatever chemistry developed with Teague under center is now gone; so the Bills have to start from scratch. Expect the line to take a good 6 - 8 games to gel, just as it did back in 2004.

Speaking of starting from scratch, the Bills will be learning a new offense and a new defense.

But, you say, the Bills have improved on paper at a number of positions. Fowler over Teague, Reyes over Anderson, Whitner over Milloy. I'm not completely convinced the first two are necessarily going to be improvements, thought they might be. As for the Milloy/Whitner situation, Whitner's rookie mistakes might cancel out the benefit of his added athletic ability. Other than Triplett, I don't know the Bills have necessarily improved themselves at any given position--at least not for the first half of 2006. Hopefully this team will start to build up some steam later in the year, and will be ready to compete in 2007.

My first post...

Out on a limb here, I'll go with 7-9 (because even the UB Bulls could sweep the Jets this year).

Marv seems to have the right idea - build the defence (in this case starting with the secondary) before worrying about the offence. That's the way it was done 20 years ago, and it will work eventually.

But for this year, no good. Having a bad offensive line and junk at the QB position won't cut it. With this line, McGahee is a 3.8 ypc rusher. Holcumb is below average, and Losman has one good quarter under his belt.

And Dick Jauron as Head Coach? <_<

A long season, but not as long as last year.

My first post...

Out on a limb here, I'll go with 7-9 (because even the UB Bulls could sweep the Jets this year).

Marv seems to have the right idea - build the defence (in this case starting with the secondary) before worrying about the offence.  That's the way it was done 20 years ago, and it will work eventually.

But for this year, no good.  Having a bad offensive line and junk at the QB position won't cut it.  With this line, McGahee is a 3.8 ypc rusher.  Holcumb is below average, and Losman has one good quarter under his belt.

And Dick Jauron as Head Coach?  <_<

A long season, but not as long as last year.

731967[/snapback]

You really went "out on a limb" there fella!

3.  Lindell

731338[/snapback]

1.) Bannan's gone. Denney and Kelsay distinctly average, but not distinctly terrible. Aaron Schobel and Larry Triplett are solid D-linemen, and they're backed up by a top-notch LB corps.

2.) maybe

3.) no

4.) Losman is obviously the question mark.

5.) Here's the third round: http://nfl.com/draft/drafttracker/round/round3

Add two or three of those players to the Bills. How many wins does that equal in 2006 in your mind?

6.) Better than last year's.

I'm not sure I agree there.  First you have to look at the subtractions; and none loom larger than Eric Moulds. 

Then there's the offensive line.  Whatever chemistry developed with Teague under center is now gone; so the Bills have to start from scratch.  Expect the line to take a good 6 - 8 games to gel, just as it did back in 2004.

Speaking of starting from scratch, the Bills will be learning a new offense and a new defense. 

But, you say, the Bills have improved on paper at a number of positions.  Fowler over Teague, Reyes over Anderson, Whitner over Milloy.  I'm not completely convinced the first two are necessarily going to be improvements, thought they might be.  As for the Milloy/Whitner situation, Whitner's rookie mistakes might cancel out the benefit of his added athletic ability.  Other than Triplett, I don't know the Bills have necessarily improved themselves at any given position--at least not for the first half of 2006.  Hopefully this team will start to build up some steam later in the year, and will be ready to compete in 2007.

731816[/snapback]

If by Chemistry developed with Teague under center you mean the left and right guards having to also help out the center then I hear your point. It's a shame because I don't think Teague was as bad of an offensive lineman as he looked most of the time, he was just out of position as has been stated many times.

I think the Bills will benefit from a complete attitude adjustment this year as well.

The offense will attack and try to exploit the defense more, and the defense will hopefully not attack quite as much. It seemed that last year Jerry Gray had the team blitzing 90% of the time which opened up holes in other areas of the field.

I think McGahee will run harder and regain a little swagger on the field as opposed to just off the field (bringing back the stiff arm). Even if Spikes isn't quite the same player he was before, his fire and attitude will be contagious on the field this year. It seemed at times before his injury that he literally willed his teammates to a big play.

I think the O-Line will progress into a solid but unspectacular unit. I think the receivers we have can get the job done. We may not have one guy with 90 catches but we'll have Evans with 70 and 2 guys with 45. I'm excited that we have a coaching staff that's been there before, a GM who stresses pride and intelligence over bench reps and 40 times. I'm optimistic this year...9-7