I am looking for proposal/contract

I am starting a new business and want my proposals and contracts to look professional and include key elements that a good proposal should have.  My business is video/multimedia related.

Any recommendations?

731165[/snapback]

I knew it, I'm doomed!

I'm assuming you're not going into this business totally cold. i.e. you have some experience, hopefully professional in it.

Get copies from several other firms of their proposals and contracts. Use them as a guide. (Heck, in my experience that's all you get when you pay a few thousand for a lawyer to do it. They just cut and paste sometimes not even understanding what they're doing.)

As for actually drawing them up, any old word processor should do the trick.

Quickbooks Professional, in addition to being your accounting software, also permits you to easily create good-looking proposals and, consequently, good-looking invoices off the proposals (including incorporating your logo, etc.). I've been using it for the past two years, and while there are a few basic things they could definitely do better, it's a very comprehensive software package for a beginner.

Depending on the type of contract you are looking for, you'll be surprised how many canned contractual agreements are available at office supply stores or online.

I bought a few, such as Promissary Notes, etc., at Staples, but you can just buy/download them at this site. And look, these are just very generic, so you should always have a lawyer do this stuff for you, or at least look it over as it pertains to your local laws.

Quickbooks Professional, in addition to being your accounting software, also permits you to easily create good-looking proposals and, consequently, good-looking invoices off the proposals (including incorporating your logo, etc.). I've been using it for the past two years, and while there are a few basic things they could definitely do better, it's a very comprehensive software package for a beginner.

Depending on the type of contract you are looking for, you'll be surprised how many canned contractual agreements are available at office supply stores or online.

I bought a few, such as Promissary Notes, etc., at Staples, but you can just buy/download them at this site. And look, these are just very generic, so you should always have a lawyer do this stuff for you, or at least look it over as it pertains to your local laws.

731269[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. I am looking for something that creates a professional looking proposal that I can tweek depending on the project. Integrated accounting is a bonus. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the info.  I am looking for something that creates a professional looking proposal that I can tweek depending on the project.  Integrated accounting is a bonus.  I'll check it out.

731279[/snapback]

You create the default text for your proposals, so you can tweak them to your heart's content.

731269[/snapback]

I have never used quickbooks, just created my proposals from word, powerpoint, and excel. Should be all you need. Now, if like LA suggests, you are looking to build your invoicing from your proposals, I have NO idea how that would work.

But what LA also says is very important in terms of contracts. Are you going to be dealing with individuals or businesses. If businesses, make sure you have a IP lawyer look and draw up your base contract. Any modifications to that base contract absolutely NEED to be confrimed by the attorney, depending on the size of the contract. For instance, (taking a stab at your business) you install an integrated presention platform at a large software company and the day of a final demo the thing blows up. Company loses business, and you alloowed them to change your limitation of liability from zero to something else. They sue you for the value of the lost business, lets say $1,000,000. Now, you gotta fight them. I know the $100 bucks an hr may seem like money you do not want to spend, but let me tell you your customers are using lawyers to gain any advantage they can in a contract, and if yer not careful, will be at your expense.

Also, they may say the contract will be goverened by the laws of DE, and your in freaking CA. Now any disbute you have to hire a lawyer who is licensed to practice in DE, not your lawyer. Lots o liitle pitfalls ya need to careful with in contracts

For nstance, (taking a stab at your business) you install an integrated presention platform at a large software company and the day of a final demo the thing blows up. Company loses business, and you alloowed them to change your limitation of liability from zero to something else. They sue you for the value of the lost business, lets say $1,000,000. Now, you gotta fight them.

731926[/snapback]

Which now brings us to the question of whether you will need Errors and Omissions Insurance to cover you for such instances. Many companies won't hire you without it.

But your lawyer will guide you through that.

Did we say "get a lawyer???"

Which now brings us to the question of whether you will need Errors and Omissions Insurance to cover you for such instances. Many companies won't hire you without it.

But your lawyer will guide you through that.

Did we say "get a lawyer???"

731947[/snapback]

better not be in any kind o business without errors and ommisions. I think we did reference getting a lawyer <_<