Dallas' DE Greg Ellis is wanting out of Dallas.

Apparently he wants to play in a 4-3 defense so he can produce at a high level and Dallas plays a 3-4. The guy is a player and is also a great locker room leader with character. He sounds like a Marv type player who has even played all across the defensive line.

Check out his bio on Dallas' website (NFL.com). This is the kind of player that I would love to see on Buffalo's roster.

Here, I'll make it easy for you, just click on his name.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team_roster.cfm

Not for a 3rd round pick, tons of money, and him being 31 already.

731078[/snapback]

While Ellis is on the wrong side of 30, he does have the size and likely ability to play Left DE. I consider him an upgrade to the two headed monster we call Denney/Kelsay, at the very worst he could be another Jim Jeffcoat but think he could easily start for us which might allow us to shift Denney inside full time and/or not worry about losing Kelsay after this year.

As a FA, sure.  Again though, not for a 3rd rounder and a bump in salary (with a new contract, you can pay him less.  With his old contract, he'll use that as a starting point in negotiating a new one).

731103[/snapback]

To me if you can get 3-4 years out of Ellis, which think we could, I think he's well worth a 3rd Round pick.

Well first-off, Ellis is a RDE. That's Schobel's spot, and making the transition from RDE to LDE might not be so easy. Second of all, Ellis is scheduled to earn $2.25M this year in base salary and has $12.225M left in base salary alone on the 4 remaining years of his contract, which he'll want to rework to get a good chunk in signing bonus. Last of all, you have to wonder why Parcells wants to kick his starting RDE to the curb like that?

While Ellis is on the wrong side of 30, he does have the size and likely ability to play Left DE. I consider him an upgrade to the two headed monster we call Denney/Kelsay, at the very worst he could be another Jim Jeffcoat but think he could easily start for us which might allow us to shift Denney inside full time and/or not worry about losing Kelsay after this year.

731102[/snapback]

I think Jeffcoact was his 1st line coach at Dallas too.

I tend to agree with the Denney/ Kelsay 2 headed monster comment. 1 of them is needed to step up their play. As 2nd rounders, i would have liked to have seen better play from that position.

It's almost like they share the LDE.

After you.

No after you.

Is it my turn?

I see Greg Ellis more of a Phil Hansen type- noting his ability to move through the line :w00t:

Very good point. I would be suspicious. Especially when Parcells is saying "play

or get out". Sounds like they're not missing him too much.

Well first-off, Ellis is a RDE.  That's Schobel's spot, and making the transition from RDE to LDE might not be so easy.  Second of all, Ellis is scheduled to earn $2.25M this year in base salary and has $12.225M left in base salary alone on the 4 remaining years of his contract, which he'll want to rework to get a good chunk in signing bonus.  Last of all, you have to wonder why Parcells wants to kick his starting RDE to the curb like that?

731107[/snapback]

Very good point.  I would be suspicious.  Especially when Parcells is saying "play

or get out".  Sounds like they're not missing him too much.

731155[/snapback]

According to ESPN Parcells said Ellis could either play for Dallas or retire.

I would like to mention a couple of points.

First, Ellis in his first two years he started at LDE until he hurt his left leg and then in 2000 he started at RDE. In 2001 he went back to LDE for all 16 games.

Secondly, everyone and everything has a value. Tuna would cough Ellis up for the right price. I'm not saying to overpay but I think that it wouldn't hurt to explore this avenue. Dallas in the last couple years has drafted ALOT of young defensive players. An aging, disgruntled player may be dispensible to them.

Thirdly, there is plenty of creative ways to structure a player's contract, especially when a player is going to a more conducive scheme. He is stuck in a 3-4 scheme that DOESN'T play to his strength and would be going to a 4-3 that DOES play to his strength. I think that he might be a little receptive AND flexible in his demands. Of course, this is just my opinion and is based on nothing but speculation.

Good call bro. Looks like Ellis played LDE for most of his career, except 2000 (can't verify but I'll take your word) and last year. I thought he was a LDE and was surprised to see he was a RDE last year. Should have done my homework better. :w00t:

As for trying to acquire him, if the price is right, why not? I'd at most offer a 4th rounder and if Ellis sees a team that will take him and the Cowboys can get something for him, they might do it. Then I'd tell him he plays under his old contract (i.e. no signing bonus and can get cut before the start of the season), but that he gets to go back to LDE and play in a 4-3 so take it or leave it.

It's looking like we might have an awesome secondary in the very near future. With fortified DEs and a good, solid LBing corp, it would help compensate the middle of our defense. If the new additions that we aquired at the DT position can be anywheres adequate, this could shape up to be a very dominate defense. Of course the better that our defense plays than the less pressure our offense will have. I would be all for adding a player of this caliber on our team. His veteran leadership would also be the perfect seasoning for our young, upcoming defensive linemen.

It certainly is worth talking to Parcells given his apparent willingness to do without Ellis and given the question marks we have at LDE.

However, it certainly is not a good negotiating tactic to rush into this and appear to panic and actually, given the Kelsay appeared to be on a great trajectory until a downturn last year (which apparently accompanied him bulking up per orders from the old regime) we need to take a look at him before we decide whether we give up the value Parcells would likely want for Ellis.

In addition, there will be a new D scheme this year which will call upon our LDE to focus primarily upon QB pressures and sacks and not the pass coverage duties and some stoutness against the run which were more of Denny's forte.

Just as it only makes sense for us to see how Kelsay adapts to trying to become the old Kelsay, it would be smart to develop a better semse of how Denney does in a new scheme before we trade.

I hope we enter the fray in terms of discussions but I see no need for us to just get 'er done until after the coaches get some feedback from practice and maybe not until after we see what we got in the first pre-season game.

Schobel could work magic as a LDE.....you would then have Kelsay coming off the bench as a 3rd DE with a versatile Denney as both a DE and DT.......however, I wouldn't give up a 3rd.

They can have Posey and a 5th  :w00t:

731190[/snapback]

We don't have enough depth at LB....Posey is a lock to make the final 53

Very good point.  I would be suspicious.  Especially when Parcells is saying "play

or get out".  Sounds like they're not missing him too much.

731155[/snapback]

They don't miss him that much because of the play of Chris Canty, the DE they drafted last year out of Virginia who is a better fit to the 3-4 (Al Groh's Caviliers also play the 3-4) due to his size (a Mario Williams-like 6-7, 295). Canty was supposedly a risk due to injuries he had in college and an eye injury he suffered right after his last year, but he recovered well from those and had a very good rookie season for Dallas.

They don't miss him that much because of the play of Chris Canty, the DE they drafted last year out of Virginia who is a better fit to the 3-4 (Al Groh's Caviliers also play the 3-4) due to his size (a Mario Williams-like 6-7, 295).  Canty was supposedly a risk due to injuries he had in college and an eye injury he suffered right after his last year, but he recovered well from those and had a very good rookie season for Dallas.

731265[/snapback]

Yeah, Ellis is a situational player for the boys. He's been trying to talk himself out of town since the end of last season. Tuna is obviously having none of that. My hope is that Ellis situation continues to fester until week 3 when Owens should be ready for his first explosion. :w00t:

Eliis arrived in camp and had a brief chat with Tuna. The contents of the conversation were not revealed. Ellis is going to wait until today before saying anything further. This situation might be worth keeping an eye on it.