I hope Trent Green's life insurance is paid up!

Both of his starting tackles from last year, Willie Roaf and John Welbourn, just retired.  Ouch!

730837[/snapback]

Welbourn retired over the summer and Roaf already stated he probably would not be back for 2005. Not really breaking news.

Roaf missed alot of last year because of injuries, so I'm sure that they took their toll.  THe did acquire Kyle Turley in the offseason to take Wellbourne's spot at RT.

730846[/snapback]

Turley is a tatoo of his former self. I wouldn't expect much from him.

I'm sure it was to most people.  And interesting that they didn't even draft an OT this year.

730867[/snapback]

Its actually not surprising that they did not draft a T this year because they need immediate help. Even with the high picks, the draft is a crapshoot. Second day picks are good if they contribute their first year as non-starters.

The draft is a useful tool and certainly a part of a winning strategy ( for the simple reasons good players have to come from somewhere and better players tend to be drafted).

However, it seems pretty clear that many fans place far to much importance in the draft as a strategy for creating a winning team. It must be PART of creating a winning base for a team, but its mostly about getting the best available player and after the 1st round has little to do with immediate need (or even rarely meets need the next season- though we hope Yobouty is an exception).

However, the advent of fantasy leagues and ESPN providing wall to wall authoritative coverage of the draft has inflated its importance beyond its production for many teams.

OK, this being the case, why is LJ listed as the top one, two or three fantasy back on most every "expert's" list?

731008[/snapback]

In Week 1 Welbourn didn't play and LJ didn't start yet still rushed for 110 yards and in the three games Roaf didn't play and LJ started he rushed for 107, 132 and 211 yards respectively. Granted missing both and Al Saunders will hurt LJ status but it's hard to ignore LJ's #s from last year.

In Week 1 Welbourn didn't play and LJ didn't start yet still rushed for 110 yards and in the three games Roaf didn't play and LJ started he rushed for 107, 132 and 211 yards respectively.  Granted missing both and Al Saunders will hurt LJ status but it's hard to ignore LJ's #s from last year.

Well that week 1 game WAS against the Jets, and 2 of the games Roaf didn't play that LJ did (there was a 3rd that LJ didn't start but got the majority of snaps-Oakland), he went up against 2 lousy defenses in Buffalo ( :w00t: ) and Houston. Welbourn missed another of LJ's starts, but there was no game that LJ started and in which he did well that both Roaf and Welbourn were both out. And Jordan Black, who filled-in for Roaf and Welbourn, according to snap.stats.com gave up 8 sacks last year in 10 starts, mostly at LT, but has a future at RT. He'll probably take-over there, but that still leaves a huge hole at LT and no one to fill it. Again this move blindsided the Chefs.

I think LJ is a great RB, but a great RB still needs a good O-line, and the Chefs suffered an enormous blow with the unexpected retirement of Roaf, if not Welbourn. Also Will Shields is getting up there as are Casey Wiegmann and Brian Waters (Shields will be 35 by the start of the season, Weigmann will be 33-1/2, and Waters is the youngster at 29-1/2).

And Jordan Black, who filled-in for Roaf and Welbourn, according to snap.stats.com gave up 8 sacks last year in 10 starts, mostly at LT, but has a future at RT.  He'll probably take-over there, but that still leaves a huge hole at LT and no one to fill it.  Again this move blindsided the Chefs.

731133[/snapback]

Actualy they have Kyle Turley now who according to a chiefs fan I talk to is up around 300lbs again and was placed at rt today in camp while Jordan Black was placed at lt. If I was a defensive coordinator up against the chiefs I wouldnt really worry so much about LJ, just stack the line and overload the left side to get to green. Green has a bad habit of holding the ball longer then any qb I've seen partialy due to the oline he has and lack of talent at the wr position. LJ will get his yards but I see the chiefs offense taking a huge drop off this year in overall production.