WGR55...........WTF?

WTF is WGR doing this morning?  It's all fuggin Sabres.  I love the NHL, and I admit, I am NOT a Sabres fan, however, I have to even think the Sabres fans want to hear some good Bills stuff on the first day of Bills camp.

Am I wrong?  I don't give a flyin fugg who the hell did or didn't go to arbitration.  Can I get an update on Whitner, McCargo?  They are live at St. John Fisher and we get wall to wall Sabres in fuggin JULY.

God.

730561[/snapback]

Do you live in Buffalo??? The biggest sports related thing I am hearing people talk about at work and out and about is the Sabres, their Unis and who they will be able to sign...

Training camp starts TODAY and GR will be doing live shows every afternoon from St. John Fisher. That's not enough??? What could be said for hours this morning? They're gonna practice today....

As for Whitner and McCargo.. what kind of update can a radio talk show host give beyond reporting what Marv said yesterday. "they're working on it". Should they make stuff up and speculate so you have something to B word about tomorrow when they are wrong.

Call down and wait until camp actually starts. :blink:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda funny............just went to the bank from work at 10:20 and got back now. On "The Opening Drive" 2 of the last 4 callers of the show called in to talk about the Bills.

Hmmmmmmmm. 2 out of 4 on a national show. But hey, let's talk Sabres, they actually won two fuggin playoff series.

I will have to say though, the last guy sounded like a moron as his claim to info was reading Bills Digest. The only other less objective media source is BuffaloBills.com.

First day of camp for GR < RJ.

I'm in Virginia, but I'm from Pittsburgh.  I grew up in the Mario Lemieux era, and love hockey.  The ONLY story that would take precedence back then over a Steelers training camp that would lead sports talk radio would be Lemieux retiring.

This is pathetic.  Seriously.  And don't tell me about hockey.....I had Pens season tickets for about 7 years until I moved.  I also go to Raleigh to watch the Canes just to get some hockey down here once in a while. 

But today is the first real day of football.   And WGR's coverage is pathetic.  I'm overly underwhelmed.

There are a ton of cool things WGR could have done today.  But I guess when you have hosts that prepare for a show by going to bed at night without putting in any work, you get the type of crap they gave us today.

Hell, even in Richmond Virginia, our hosts travel to Skins camp to cover wall to wall Redskins the first few days or their camp.

Pathetic.

730647[/snapback]

Maybe your right. Maybe their beat reporter should file the following report:

"Well Bulldog, big news here in Rochester. J.P. Losman, Nall, and Holcomb have arrived. Losman was driving a new SUV, while Nall and Holcoomb arrived in seperate luxury sedans. Now, this is the important part - neither of them talked to eachother but Lee Evans was seen talking to Losman. Also, the parade had pretty floats."

Sounds like news to me. :blink:

Maybe your right. Maybe their beat reporter should vilfe the following report:

"Well Bulldog, big news here in Rochester. J.P. Losman, Nall, and Holcomb have arrived. Losman was driving a new SUV, while Nall and Holcoomb arrived in seperate luxury sedans. Now, this is the important part - neither of them talked to eachother but Lee Evans was seen talking to Losman. Also, the parade had pretty floats."

Sounds like news to me.  :blink:

730701[/snapback]

I can understand this point. Because I'm kind of noticing that WGR is kind of the Connor Byrne of news reporting. About all they can come up with is the drivel you speak of above.

Call somebody, pull somebody over to the booth. Try to dig on Whitner and McCargo. DO SOMETHING.

If you sit on your ass all day, and can't get sources to come on your show.....well, I guess you talk about the Sabres all fuggin day like they do.

Again, maybe they should just host the show from HSBC arena tomorrow.

Pathetic.

Kinda funny............just went to the bank from work at 10:20 and got back now.  On "The Opening Drive" 2 of the last 4 callers of the show called in to talk about the Bills.

Hmmmmmmmm.  2 out of 4 on a national show.  But hey, let's talk Sabres, they actually won two fuggin playoff series. 

I will have to say though, the last guy sounded like a moron as his claim to info was reading Bills Digest.  The only other less objective media source is BuffaloBills.com.

First day of camp for GR < RJ.

730697[/snapback]

Everyone gets your point, dude. Relax. You don't need to reply to seven other threads questioning WGR's programming. You voiced your opinion and that was fine, but now you're really coming off like a B word.

Wah wah, it's the first day of camp, and I don't know what size sweatpants Shaud Williams is wearing...They should interview Marv and ask him...

Everyone gets your point, dude.  Relax.  You don't need to reply to seven other threads questioning WGR's programming.  You voiced your opinion and that was fine, but now you're really coming off like a B word.

Wah wah, it's the first day of camp, and I don't know what size sweatpants Shaud Williams is wearing...They should interview Marv and ask him...

730707[/snapback]

Yeah, you're right, we don't know about Shaud, but we sure as hell do know what Lindy Ruff ate for breakfast this morning.

Pathetic Coverage.

I wonder if SDS can report the relative stats for this Bills and Sabres sites.

730621[/snapback]

At around 4:00 yesterday, there were about ~266 visitors at the Sabres board, and about ~208 here.

Lv-Bls, you might have noticed the parody this morning where they were trying to go through sports news, including the signings of Lydman and Pominville, the fact Spikes may be out for the preseason, etc. All the way through it they had some crazy fan grumping about the logo. They do want to talk about the Sabres, the callers do.

You say you're not a Sabres fan. Well, picture it's February 1989. The young Bills team nearly went to the SB after years of bad teams and was profitable for the first time in years. Unfortunately, instead of disolving the NFLPA (giving us Plan B) in 1987, they put in place a new CBA which included a $44M Cap (not that Ralph was going to spend that much since he didn't want to lose money on the Bills) and an arbitration option to the RFAs. Half of that era's Bills were headed to arbitration, and Andre Reed, the first one to get a hearing, was awarded a $5M one year contract after which he is an UFA. Next up is Will Wolford, followed by Kent Hull, and Biscuit. Suddenly, you realize that they aren't going to be nearly as good as you had thought they'd be in the years to come, even if Ralph wanted to open the purse.

That's basically what's going on with the Sabres.

At around 4:00 yesterday, there were about ~266 visitors at the Sabres board, and about ~208 here.

Lv-Bls, you might have noticed the parody this morning where they were trying to go through sports news, including the signings of Lydman and Pominville, the fact Spikes may be out for the preseason, etc.  All the way through it they had some crazy fan grumping about the logo.  They do want to talk about the Sabres, the callers do.

You say you're not a Sabres fan.  Well, picture it's February 1989.  The young Bills team nearly went to the SB after years of bad teams and was profitable for the first time in years.  Unfortunately, instead of disolving the NFLPA (giving us Plan B) in 1987, they put in place a new CBA which included a $44M Cap (not that Ralph was going to spend that much since he didn't want to lose money on the Bills) and an arbitration option to the RFAs.  Half of that era's Bills were headed to arbitration, and Andre Reed, the first one to get a hearing, was awarded a $5M one year contract after which he is an UFA.  Next up is Will Wolford, followed by Kent Hull, and Biscuit.  Suddenly, you realize that they aren't going to be nearly as good as you had thought they'd be in the years to come, even if Ralph wanted to open the purse.

That's basically what's going on with the Sabres.

730720[/snapback]

I understand this completely. I'm happy for you guys that the Sabes made everyone happy. However, for this so called huge hockey city to have 266 visitors over there when the Sabres have a presser called for what has been said to be the biggest sports story this season (the uniform issue - which by the way I think is way cool they went back), and still 206 over on the Bills side, just shows that the NFL is still the main show for the most part.

You would think there would be about 1000 over there, and 3 over here. I'm sure there are other Sabres boards, better one's and all of that.....however, it's the first day of camp, and plenty of people to interview and find out about. It should have been better radio today! Period.

I understand the non-excitement about the Bills to some degree, and all of that, but this is the first day. The show just lacked IMO, today.....big time. And that kind of sucks, especially when it appeared the hosts are lazy as hell in trying to put together something exciting today.

Basically, everything in life boils down to money. WGR had probably it's greatest ratings ever the last few months thanks to the Sabres. People calling in want to talk Sabres. Training camp just became boring.

Don't get my wrong, I love the Sabres and I love the Bills. I'm equally passionate about both, but 90% of my conversations with friends locally here in Buffalo are about the Sabres. No one really cares about the Bills right now. We don't expect anything from them this year and probably next year.

The Sabres team -- however -- is everything Buffalo ever wanted. A bunch of no-names who made the city proud. The Sabres will be elitest in the NHL for many years to come. The Bills have been cellar dwellars for far too long. The Sabres haven't had season ticket sales like this since the 1970s. With mini-packs, they're going to have anywhere between 15,000 to 16,000 seats sold for every game before the season even starts. Most of us fully expect them to dominate this year.

So that's why Sabres are the toast of the town. We'll all jump on that Bills bandwagon when it's worth jumping on.

Finally, there were more people logged onto TSR yesterday than TBD. So maybe WGR isn't that crazy.

I understand this completely.  I'm happy for you guys that the Sabes made everyone happy.  However, for this so called huge hockey city to have 266 visitors over there when the Sabres have a presser called for what has been said to be the biggest sports story this season (the uniform issue - which by the way I think is way cool they went back), and still 206 over on the Bills side, just shows that the NFL is still the main show for the most part.

You would think there would be about 1000 over there, and 3 over here.  I'm sure there are other Sabres boards, better one's and all of that.....however, it's the first day of camp, and plenty of people to interview and find out about.  It should have been better radio today!  Period. 

I understand the non-excitement about the Bills to some degree, and all of that, but this is the first day.  The show just lacked IMO, today.....big time.  And that kind of sucks, especially when it appeared the hosts are lazy as hell in trying to put together something exciting today.

730730[/snapback]

Dude, your funny as hell!

what don't you get? Let put it like a math equation:

Sabres Salary Cap/ARbitration and dismantling of the team = News

Bills Players Unpacking and stretching = No News

Pathetic Coverage.

730711[/snapback]

What do you want to know? I'll respond to your questions from your earlier post.

How about an interview or two with a Bills player?

730711[/snapback]

Try listening. They had an interview with Spikes as he was walking into camp yesterday. He said he's not sure how things will go until practice starts (hmmm.) He'll take it slow. He doesn't need preseason games because once a dog knows how to bite, he doesn't forget. Oh yeah, I forgot, THIS MORNING when I was driving to work, I also heard an interview with Nate Clements, saying it depends on the individual for how long it takes to pick up new schemes. That also came as quite a surprise!!!

How about some talk on someone who might know about Whitner and McCargo?

730711[/snapback]

Per Marv Levy, both sides are close with the reps for both players, and they are looking for a deal that works well for the club and the player. They are looking forward to getting both players into camp as soon as possible. SHOCKER!!! BREAKING NEWS!!!

How about an interview with someone from the Bills on whether they will wear throwbacks, what stadium improvements were made and what types of marketing they'll do?

730711[/snapback]

I thought you didn't want to hear uniform talk? Marketing has gone well, as it has been WIDELY reported that only single seats remain for the Bills first four home games. The rest will be a tough sell because nobody is very optimistic about the team, and there are four late-season (cold weather) games. You would have heard this many times had you been listening, because they have been pouring over the schedule for the last month on WGR.

How about an interview with Andre Reed about going up on the wall?

730711[/snapback]

Really??? You really want to hear this??? Okay, well, he would've said it's a great honor to be named in the company of other Bills greats, and he's very excited about it. He's always loved Buffalo and the fans...blah blah blah blah

How about an interview with Marv or someone about the excitement of opening camp?

730711[/snapback]

Marv has been interviewed twice per week since May 1. He's very excited about seeing the product on the field and is anxious to see the position battles play out.

How about interviews from other AFC East cities beat reporters about what's going on with the Pats, Jets and Phins?

730711[/snapback]

You're right, how dare they talk about the Sabres on a Buffalo radio station. Let's find out what the Dolphins are up to. :blink: Schmuck. But since you asked:

Patriots are the team to beat. RB and LB are question marks. We'll know more once camp opens.

Dolphins are coming off a promising season, but have question mark at QB. Daunte's health? We'll know more once camp opens.

Jets are in limbo. Curtis Martin on PUP. QB situation up in the air. We'll know more once camp opens.

:blink::P:)

Bills Players Unpacking and stretching = No News

730746[/snapback]

See, this is what strikes me as kind of weird. In almost every other NFL city, teams unpacking and strectching, and obviously doing stuff as witnessed by some pictures here = news.

Unsigned draft picks, missing practice = news.

Team officials, especially legends, walking around the facility (Levy) = news to be shared if you can just get him on the radio for 3 mintues.

Oh, I don't know, I wouldn't mind hearing what Andre Davis, Price, Reed, or Parrish think their chances are in making this team since we have about 400 WR's on the roster.

Ohhhhh, I don't know, maybe hearing a little bit from JP's mouth about how he feels about being at camp.

But hey, the Sabres signed two guys. The Bills are missing two guys that need to be signed because practice starts TODAY.

I'm not sure how GR works, but the hosts seemed to talk a ton today. Either callers were on hold for about 45 minutes at a time, or there is marginal interest at best.

First day of camp for which they are LIVE and mostly Sabres talk < RJ.

See, this is what strikes me as kind of weird.  In almost every other NFL city, teams unpacking and strectching, and obviously doing stuff as witnessed by some pictures here = news.

Unsigned draft picks, missing practice = news.

Team officials, especially legends, walking around the facility (Levy) = news to be shared if you can just get him on the radio for 3 mintues.

Oh, I don't know, I wouldn't mind hearing what Andre Davis, Price, Reed, or Parrish think their chances are in making this team since we have about 400 WR's on the roster. 

Ohhhhh, I don't know, maybe hearing a little bit from JP's mouth about how he feels about being at camp. 

But hey, the Sabres signed two guys.  The Bills are missing two guys that need to be signed because practice starts TODAY.

I'm not sure how GR works, but the hosts seemed to talk a ton today.  Either callers were on hold for about 45 minutes at a time, or there is marginal interest at best. 

730776[/snapback]

You think Marv walking around is newsworthy? Maybe its news in a medical journal regarding geriatrics - but its not football news.

You think Marv walking around is newsworthy? Maybe its news in a medical journal regarding geriatrics - but its not football news.

730781[/snapback]

Yeah, cuz I'm sure Marv has nothing to say to anyone regarding the Bills.

Maybe, now that we know McCargo has signed.....that Marv could have said something about that this AM? I mean, maybe just a little hint that McCargo just could be on his way to SJF?

Ahhhhh, it wouldn't have been newsworthy. Marv would have added zilch to today's show. Well, at least when two dopes are running the show, I guess you would be right.

Yeah, cuz I'm sure Marv has nothing to say to anyone regarding the Bills.

Maybe, now that we know McCargo has signed.....that Marv could have said something about that this AM?  I mean, maybe just a little hint that McCargo just could be on his way to SJF?

Ahhhhh, it wouldn't have been newsworthy.  Marv would have added zilch to today's show.  Well, at least when two dopes are running the show, I guess you would be right.

730788[/snapback]

Nevermind that WGR interviewed Marv yesterday - but hey, lets drag his ass on the radio again so he can say the same thing today.

730776[/snapback]

Marv might be a little busy today. Especially considering the thousands of interviews he's granted WGR over the past two months.

730776[/snapback]

Okay, ready? Quote from (insert WR's name here): "I'm very excited to get out on the field and show the coaches what I can do. We have a very talented group of receivers here so I'm looking forward to getting on the field and performing. I have always had confidence in my ability...The time has come where reading the playbook is over and you have to show it on the field"

730776[/snapback]

Why don't you let them start camp first and then I'm sure you'll hear all about it.

Stop making yourself look like a stooge.

But hey, the Sabres signed two guys.  The Bills are missing two guys that need to be signed because practice starts TODAY.

I'm not sure how GR works, but the hosts seemed to talk a ton today.  Either callers were on hold for about 45 minutes at a time, or there is marginal interest at best. 

730776[/snapback]

Yeah, let's get some reports from beat writers in Boston and Miami about how their camps, which haven't opened yet, are going.

We get your point. Your point sucks.

Marv might be a little busy today.  Especially considering the thousands of interviews he's granted WGR over the past two months.

Okay, ready?  Quote from (insert WR's name here):  "I'm very excited to get out on the field and show the coaches what I can do.  We have a very talented group of receivers here so I'm looking forward to getting on the field and performing.  I have always had confidence in my ability...The time has come where reading the playbook is over and you have to show it on the field"

Why don't you let them start camp first and then I'm sure you'll hear all about it.

Stop making yourself look like a stooge.

Yeah, let's get some reports from beat writers in Boston and Miami about how their camps, which haven't opened yet, are going.

We get your point.  Your point sucks.

730791[/snapback]

And BOOM, McCargo signs this morning, and we talk about the SABRES. Yeah, nothing to break on WGR this morning. Maybe Marv could have provided some insight. But hey, the 4 callers in that last hour that pummeled the phone lines about the Sabres really was insightful.

Thanks ESPN I guess, for letting us know that McCargo signed. After all, if the two WGR stooges would have made some phone calls to ANYONE today about the Bills, maybe they would have broke it on air.

Another missed opportunity from a crappy sports station.

And BOOM, McCargo signs this morning, and we talk about the SABRES.  Yeah, nothing to break on WGR this morning.  Maybe Marv could have provided some insight.  But hey, the 4 callers in that last hour that pummeled the phone lines about the Sabres really was insightful.

Thanks ESPN I guess, for letting us know that McCargo signed.  After all, if the two WGR stooges would have made some phone calls to ANYONE today about the Bills, maybe they would have broke it on air.

Another missed opportunity from a crappy sports station.

730794[/snapback]

Hey bro, they've been saying for a week that both sides are very close, they're working out the details, and they expect both players in camp very soon. No lengthy holdouts expected. It's not unexpected that he signed. But perhaps Howard Simon should've reported at 8am today that McCargo signed at 11am...TODAY :blink:

Do you think Marv is going to go on WGR and give ANY TYPE of insight into the nature of the contract negotiations??? They've been saying all the same bullschit for weeks, "Fair deal, good for both sides, get them in camp, reflective of the marketplace, etc etc etc" What are you looking for? Just to B word about WGR?