Egg Drop Contest

I like "The Chicken Drop" contest better. When I was in Belize, a restaurant had the Chicken Drop one night a aweek. It had a large pen, with numbers like a football pool of squares, 1-100. You would buy a number for a buck, and then as soon as all 100 numbers were filled up, they would toss a chicken in the pen and whatever number the chicken took a dump on won the $100. People were crazy screaming for numbers and the chicken like at a cockfight.

730044[/snapback]

Out in the sticks they do the same thing with cows, except there was no "tossing of the cow..." ;)

Exactly!... The 6x6x6 does seem to pose a problem... You sealed my doubt and said it perfectly!

730157[/snapback]

I have a talent for that: looking at a technical problem and intuitively pulling out the two or three salient issues of it. It used to freak out my thesis advisor; he'd start describing a problem, and I'd start giving him off-the-cuff results before he'd finished describing it.

Nowadays, of course, my talent in that regard only sees use in egg dropping contests... ;)

In Texas they toss the cow dung.  And they even think it's fun.  ;)

730193[/snapback]

Oh, yeah, that's yet another event here as well....but "Cow Chip Bingo" related more closely to K-Dog's event...

Not that anyone cares... Here is an update about what happened.

The fire department lent their bucket truck and raised it to an elevation of about 65 feet (so I am told)... The LZ was an asphalt parking lot.

I took CTM's (Tom's) advice and kept it simple... I used the the accordion folded laser printer paper and paked it along with a capsule around the egg... A parchute was made from a section of newspaper and fishing line.

The result... At that height, the 'chute opened (I feared it wouldn't since it was paper and clear packing tape added for strength... Pretty "crinkley"...)... Well it opened and caught air... Not as pretty as a store-bought 'chute... But did the job.

The egg lived with flying colors...

So simply it was a box, laser paper, newspaper, and 8# test... And an egg!

Pretty cool! The 'chute landed semi softly... I have a feeling it would have made it without the 'chute too...

:w00t::w00t:

Thanks Tom!

Not that anyone cares... Here is an update about what happened.

The fire department lent their bucket truck and raised it to an elevation of about 65 feet (so I am told)... The LZ was an asphalt parking lot.

I took CTM's (Tom's) advice and kept it simple... I used the the accordion folded laser printer paper and paked it along with a capsule around the egg... A parchute was made from a section of newspaper and fishing line.

The result... At that height, the 'chute opened (I feared it wouldn't since it was paper and clear packing tape added for strength... Pretty "crinkley"...)... Well it opened and caught air... Not as pretty as a store-bought 'chute... But did the job.

The egg lived with flying colors...

So simply it was a box, laser paper, newspaper, and 8# test... And an egg!

Pretty cool!  The 'chute landed semi softly... I have a feeling it would have made it without the 'chute too...

:w00t:  :w00t:

Thanks Tom!

731334[/snapback]

I am the Egg Drop King.

Wish I had another talent...but hey, you go with what you have: I am the Egg Drop King.

I am the Egg Drop King.

Wish I had another talent...but hey, you go with what you have: I am the Egg Drop King.

731345[/snapback]

That you are!

The only thing I had heartburn with was they said it had to be in a box... Therefore (I guess) less mess... Then towards the end they started to get cute and dropped melons and a watermelon... Of course the kids went wild for the Gallagheresque display... Of course the FD hosed it up... :w00t::lol:

I hope next year they ban the boxes and 'chutes... Let's see where the real skills are... :w00t::w00t:

Of course...I should talk... If I could retain you as consultant!!!

:lol::lol:

Back in 11th grade physics, we had this competition. However, the ONLY supplies we could use was two regular pieces of computer paper and two 2" pieces of Scotch tape....

I was, indeed, the only one who came up with a device that protected the egg. We had to drop the egg off of the top of a set of bleachers onto a wooden pallet. Anyway, all I did was roll the one piece of paper into a tube shape and used the tape to hold it. I then folded the other piece of paper accordian style. place this "spring-like" object in the bottom of the tube of paper, and egg on top. Folded the top of the tube to keep the egg from bouncing out. Dropped it, and it worked perfectly. I was shocked.

That being said, with all the materials you can use, you should have NO problem with this.