LAMP Need some moving help

30dive

So after a little over a year of knowing that we were going to move somewhere, but not knowing where or when, my wife has competed her PhD and accepted a really great job near Altoona PA. Now before all you PA bashers come out of the wood work, we realize that this part of the country is not Shangri La (sp) but the job is a perfect fit, the money is great, and while the area may not be great for its nightlife it does appear to be a good place to raise kids (we have 2 girls, 11 and 8 years)

So here is the question: Does anyone have any ideas on school districts? We have been told to look in Hollidaysburg, which seems very nice, but I hate to limit it to just one. We are in a rush as my wife will be starting on or about 9/11 and we need to find a home in aschool district that we will like.

Oh the job is actually about 10 miles west of Altoona, so Johnstown would not be out of the question, however State College would be a hike, apx. 50 miles.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

And oh I'm about five hours closer to the Ralph!

Don't know a thing about the schools, but my wife attended grad school at PSU. That region of PA is very beautiful. I think you and yours will like it a lot.

P.S. You must plan on getting good, conventional snow tires (not the "performance oriented" ones).

I have a friend who's from around there & her sister teaches there.

I've forwarded your inquiry & hopefully will hear back in the not to distant future.

729338[/snapback]

Thanks....I'll look for it!

Thanks....I'll look for it!

729356[/snapback]

ahh trading the genteel South for the hard scrabble land of Central PA. Least houses should be a might bit cheaper than here. If ya need some help with packing, moving etc, don't be afraid to PM me.Moving can be such the pain in the arse.

I know nothing bout those places other than i drive interstate 99 when heading to Buffalo. Only good thing is when your daughters decide to go the finest higher learning institute in the land, that being Slippery Rock University of PA, they will be close :lol:

My wife has relatives in Hollidaysburg, so I've actually spent a night there. Their kids are no longer in the area. One has a job in Germany after going to school there, and the other in Boulder, so the grade schools weren't too bad. Very nice area...