B'gals re-sign Levi Jones to extension

Ramius

I remember an interview with Mel Kiper that someone asked him has any NFL teams contacted you regarding a position in scouting. His reply was I get at least 10-15 offers a year. I have to call bull---- on Mel here. This guy is no more an expert than anyone of us. The only problem is we have full time jobs and cant devote every second to calling coaches and talent evaluators. If I had a whole year to prepare for a 2 day event, you bet your sweeta-- I would know what I am talikng about. Mel at best in the past has been 40-60 with his analysis and eventual turn out of players.

So much for my prediction that they'd try to extend Steinbach first... :lol:  :P

729287[/snapback]

I guess they took the lesser of two evils.

If they tag Steinbach, he'll get the average of the top 5 OL's salaries. That's pretty steep, but they may feel he's worth it and don't want him to hit the open market, where they'd get nothing for him if he leaves (as opposed to getting draft compensation if he's tagged).

Plus, Jones is a LT rated by many to be in the top 5 in the NFL in ability, so there's no way a team should let him go. In my opinion, I think that, all things considered, he'd be my 2nd choice of any LT in the league w/ Walter Jones being first. Pace and Ogden are both still very good, as is Willie Roaf, but all of them are up there in years and if I were managing an NFL team, I'd put the big bucks on a great young guy like Levi before I'd go after one of them.

Has Steinbach even made a Pro Bowl yet?

729330[/snapback]

pro bowl alternate last year (his 3rd season).........

he will get LT money basically, through the franchise tag or a long-term deal.....in my opinion, the bills shouldn't give him that unless he's looked at as a LT solution (which could be the case - he has spent some time there).......

I guess they took the lesser of two evils.

If they tag Steinbach, he'll get the average of the top 5 OL's salaries.  That's pretty steep, but they may feel he's worth it and don't want him to hit the open market, where they'd get nothing for him if he leaves (as opposed to getting draft compensation if he's tagged). 

Plus, Jones is a LT rated by many to be in the top 5 in the NFL in ability, so there's no way a team should let him go.  In my opinion, I think that, all things considered, he'd be my 2nd choice of any LT in the league w/ Walter Jones being first.  Pace and Ogden are both still very good, as is Willie Roaf, but all of them are up there in years and if I were managing an NFL team, I'd put the big bucks on a great young guy like Levi before I'd go after one of them.

729297[/snapback]

It would be quite a surprise for the B'gals to use the franchise tag. Perhaps transition.

They have been reported as working out 2nd round pick Andrew Whitworth on the left side in the guard spot. An intriguing thing is whether the injured UDFA, C Ben Wilkerson, has any possibility of returning to form.

It would be quite a surprise for the B'gals to use the franchise tag. Perhaps transition.

They have been reported as working out 2nd round pick Andrew Whitworth on the left side in the guard spot.  An intriguing thing is whether the injured UDFA, C Ben Wilkerson, has any possibility of returning to form.

729503[/snapback]

Wilkerson? That would be nice if he could. There were a lot of people rooting for him to bounce back, and it showed in the draft previews the year he came out, as many thought he would recover well and return to form. I'd rather that happen than he become the next Kris Farris.

That would be an unwise move for them, William.  The tag would mean paying an average of the top 5 salaries on the offensive line, NOT the top 5 @ guard alone.  Considering the deal Jones made (4th highest paid tackle in the NFL now) and the huge deal Hutchinson got from Minnesota, they would make Steinbach ridiculously wealthy by tagging him.

729167[/snapback]

I fully see your point, but I think that the Hutch deal served to set a new standard wrt the contracts of OGs. Hutch is great, and I wish that the Bills gave him the 52 million, but Steinbach (if he stays healthy) is probably (considering that there will be yet another hike in the cap) going to get a similar deal if he goes the UFA route.

Really, I think that Jones cost himself millions by re-signing with the bengals, but I admire the fact that he took the safe route and provided lifetime security for his family.

Is current Bills LT back-up Matt Morgan a relative of yours?  This would seem to be the only logical explanation for a Bills fan to want Gandy to be gone.

729262[/snapback]

I'm really concerned......

I expected to have to scroll down half a page reading this post. You feeling okay?