Hey Parents! Should She Have Been Fired?

IDBillzFan

Every night a small part of my son's "going to bed" ritual is watching "The Goodnight Show" on PBS' Sprout channel. It's aimed at 2-5 year olds.

The host is this very cool chick named Melanie, and in between five minute clips of shows like "Make Way for Noddy" and "Thomas and Friends," she makes crafts, leads toddlers in exercises, plays games with them, and essentially gets them ready for bed.

We only watch about 20 minutes a night, but when "Noddy" is over, my son knows it's time to go to his room and read some stories before going to bed. He loves Melanie, as do wifey and I, because while she's obviously a bit sappy for adults, you can see how much fun my son when she's on.

Recently, Melanie let PBS know that an old video she made seven years ago -- a 30-second spot of sorts -- was making it's rounds on the internet. Immediately after seeing the video, PBS fired her and has been filling in her space with voiceovers, etc.

I don't think she should have been fired over this, let alone fired so abruptly. Online message boards are filled with parents very upset over this. Frankly, I'm not THAT upset, but I can't help but wonder...

Should she have been fired over this video???

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no. i don't think she should have been fired.

if she made the video while working for PBS. yeah sure. but not something she did in a previous life.

it looks like a pretty good PSA and should be aired on PBS after the toddlers go to bed.

Depends. If she hid this from the company during her interview process when I'm sure they asked her about past work, or made it while she was employed with them and violated some morals clause, then she should probably get canned. If her company knew about this and have just now decided to fire her then that's b.s.

Depends. If she hid this from the company during her interview process when I'm sure they asked her about past work, or made it while she was employed with them and violated some morals clause, then she should probably get canned. If her company knew about this and have just now decided to fire her then that's b.s.

728757[/snapback]

I'm told it's been on the internet for about a year now, but she only recently found out and apparently went to them to make them aware.

What is PBS worried about - that a 2 year old will figure out how to turn on a pc, access the internet, miraculously type "Melanie and Sprout" into Google, filter the hundreds of thousands of search results, view the 30 second video and then understand what is in the video?

This is almost has bad to what PBS did to Bill Moyers.

PBS KIDS Sprout has determined that the dialogue in this video is inappropriate for her role as a preschool program host and may undermine her character’s credibility  with our audience.

Uhhh...your audience is preschoolers. If a spoof on teenage abstinence undermines your credibility with three year olds, I'm not sure firing the host is going to fix that... <_<

Every night a small part of my son's "going to bed" ritual is watching "The Goodnight Show" on PBS' Sprout channel. It's aimed at 2-5 year olds.

The host is this very cool chick named Melanie, and in between five minute clips of shows like "Make Way for Noddy" and "Thomas and Friends," she makes crafts, leads toddlers in exercises, plays games with them, and essentially gets them ready for bed.

We only watch about 20 minutes a night, but when "Noddy" is over, my son knows it's time to go to his room and read some stories before going to bed. He loves Melanie, as do wifey and I, because while she's obviously a bit sappy for adults, you can see how much fun my son when she's on.

Recently, Melanie let PBS know that an old video she made seven years ago -- a 30-second spot of sorts -- was making it's rounds on the internet. Immediately after seeing the video, PBS fired her and has been filling in her space with voiceovers, etc.

I don't think she should have been fired over this, let alone fired so abruptly. Online message boards are filled with parents very upset over this. Frankly, I'm not THAT upset, but I can't help but wonder...

Should she have been fired over this video???

728740[/snapback]

That's BRILLIANT! I would have promoted her.

PBS KIDS Sprout has determined that the dialogue in this video is inappropriate for her role as a preschool program host and may undermine her character’s credibility  with our audience.

Uhhh...your audience is preschoolers. If a spoof on teenage abstinence undermines your credibility with three year olds, I'm not sure firing the host is going to fix that... <_<

728767[/snapback]

Little kids aren't really tuning in these shows though, their parents are. So the reality is these shows need only be credible with the parents. If the producers of the show feel that this will cause parents to tune in something else, bye-bye host.

Who really cares... Or is this important because PBS is the employer? The employer can do whatever they want (I haven't read her contract)... And at the very least if they don't like her anymore, let her go and compensate her with the money remaining obligated to her he under the contract.

The fact is... Damaging stuff is out there and they don't like her... They are the one's in control, not me, not her.

Is she entitled to this job? Just pay her off what you have to under her contract and say "see ya."

Hey, these aren't necessarily my views... But, the EMPLOYER seems to hold them.

So what are we debating here?

If the 2-5 year old market handled sending "Steve" (Blues' Clues) off to college and embraced "Joe"... What is the problem?

Oh... And Hi!

<_<:D:D

He loves Melanie, as do wifey and I

728740[/snapback]

Now that just sounds a little too kinky. Is there another video floating around out there we don't know about yet?

Now that just sounds a little too kinky. Is there another video floating around out there we don't know about yet?

728901[/snapback]

:D:D

Seriously? No, she should have not been fired. Her past video work would have almost been a requirement for hot high school teachers these days.

But, this woman's on a kid's show...she should have been spanked and sent to her room without supper. <_<

Mike

Little kids aren't really tuning in these shows though, their parents are. So the reality is these shows need only be credible with the parents. If the producers of the show feel that this will cause parents to tune in something else, bye-bye host.

728773[/snapback]

excellent point