2 sides to every story

And even nicer if Lebanon didn't issue a de facto  declaration of war to Israel to begin with.

You keep stumbling over that point, didn't you.  Guess what?  You declare war on a more powerful neighbor, chances are you get your ass kicked...

728972[/snapback]

Unless you're Peter Sellers playing a queen.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The POV is that it's difficult for Israel to avoid civilian casualties, since Hezb intentionally utilizes human shields. 

728959[/snapback]

1. Attack Israel

2. Hide behind human shields (women and children) during counterattack.

3. Point out civilian deaths to western reporters.

4. Use civilian deaths to justify #1.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

And even nicer if Lebanon didn't issue a de facto  declaration of war to Israel to begin with.

You keep stumbling over that point, didn't you.  Guess what?  You declare war on a more powerful neighbor, chances are you get your ass kicked...

728972[/snapback]

I agree. Lebanon in effect wrote a check thier @sses couldn't cash...

728972[/snapback]

No, I'm not stumbling over that point at all.

For a start, I reject the notion that it was somehow "all quiet on the Western Front" until those dastardly Hizbollah terrorists launched a sneak attack. In reality it hasn't been all quiet on the Israel/Lebanon border for decades and since Israel ended it's occupation a state of low-level war has existed between Israel and Hizbollah with skirmishs, border incursions in both directions and incursions into each other's airspace (unmanned drones in the case of Hizbollah). In that context, the Hizbollah action represents a minor escalation at most, not a "de facto declaration of war". It was Israel that decided to take things to the next level by targetting Lebanese infrastructure.

Even if I accepted that Lebanon had declared war on Israel that still does not mean that Israel is entitled to do anything at all it wants to Lebanon. You keep repeating the phrase "they declared war on Israel" like somehow that means that proportionality goes out of the window. Would you regard it as all well and good were Israel to kill every man, woman and child in Lebanon? Were Israel to deliberately target primary schools, would you still repeat your mantra "well, they started it"? No? Why Not? After all, "they declared war on Israel" and that's all we need to know here. Nothing to see here, case closed, move along.

You might think that bombing clinics, power stations, the Red Cross and the UN is a justified response, I do not. You might think that weakening the Lebanese government that Israel expects to rein in Hizbollah is logical, I do not. You might think that bombing Lebanese army barracks and killing the very soldiers that Israel wants deployed to the Southern Lebanese border makes sense, I call it sheer stupidity. And far from turning the Lebanese against Hizbollah it seems to be having the opposite effect - a poll out tomorrow in a Lebanese paper puts support for Hizbollah against Israel in the Christian population at 80%! (Yes I know, polls, blah, blah, blah ...)

This Lebanese adventure was ill-advised and is already starting to go badly for Israel. Hizbollah aren't like most Arab armies i.e. incompetent. Whatever else they may or may not be, one thing they are is a highly capable fighting force. Israel's declared aim of having a "security zone" in southern Lebanon is likely to turn out at least as badly as it did last time but sadly hundreds, if not thousands, more people are likely to die before they realize that.

<looks left> <looks right>

JEW HATER!!!

<Looks left> <Looks Left>

;)

730338[/snapback]

"We, Israeli citizens resident in the UK, write to make public our dissent from the acts of aggression committed by the Israeli army in Lebanon and Gaza. The Israeli government claims this is necessary aggression in the interests of Israeli national security. We say: "Not in our name."

We do not share the sense of victimisation so immediately assumed by many Israelis. In casting themselves as the sole victims, they obscure the suffering of others, as well as their own role in inflicting that suffering. The destruction of a neighbouring country and the devastation of its civil society cannot contribute to the growth of a partner for peace. Likewise, the long-lasting occupation of millions of Palestinians cannot inspire good will among Israel's Arab neighbours.

The persistent policy of abducting of Lebanese and Palestinian citizens and their detention in Israel without trial cannot further the process of constructive political dialogue. The ongoing Israeli boycott of the democratically elected government of the Palestinian authority has resulted in a humanitarian crisis. This is now aggravated by the Israeli bombardments of densely populated civilian areas, meant to bring them into submission and to assert the Israeli control of Gaza, despite Israel's withdrawal.

Israel's unilateral politics cannot generate just solutions to constant Israeli aggression in Lebanon and to 40 years of occupation over the Palestinian people. We call upon the Israeli government to immediately withdraw all forces from Lebanon and to stop its attacks on Lebanese and Palestinian civilian populations. We call upon the British government and on the international community to actively intervene to end the Israeli aggression in Lebanon.

Ilana Bakal, Daphna Baram, Nimrod Ben-Cnaan, Ron Cohen, Talya Ezrahi, Naama Farjoun, Yael Friedman, Gali Gold, Anat Pick, Meir Shabat, Ehud Sivush, Tirza Waisel"

Letters to the friggin' Guardian

Damn these Jew haters ;)

Thank you for your well-thought out response to the points I raised  ;)

730339[/snapback]

Your colors have been set. We've been through this before. For you to think that " Your Response" is well thought out is redundant. You throw the same tired bull shiit up here all the time. Its a tired response. Admit it! You hate the Jews!

You've said in the past, " They shouldn't have that land" ( Para phrase)

I stay away from your BS posts most of the time, Jew hater. But sometimes I cant take it. I guess its just me. ;)

Your colors have been set. We've been through this before. For you to think that " Your Response" is well thought out is redundant. You throw the same tired bull shiit up here all the time. Its a tired response. Admit it! You hate the Jews!

You've said in the past, " They shouldn't have that land" ( Para phrase)

I stay away from your BS posts most of the time, Jew hater. But sometimes I cant take it. I guess its just me.  ;)

730347[/snapback]

Actually, I never said my response was well-thought out, I said yours was (it's called sarcasm). Whatever. You can call me what you like. Doesn't worry me in the slightest.

Actually, I never said my response was well-thought out, I said yours was (it's called sarcasm). Whatever. You can call me what you like. Doesn't worry me in the slightest.

730349[/snapback]

I really don't think sarcasm is appropriate when it comes to Jews getting killed by terrorists that you support. I'm sorry you think that's OK.

And you're right, your responses are never well thought out. They are consistent with your typical anti Israel rhetoric that you've laid on here for years.

I'm curious, Do you know who Ralph Wilson is? ;)

I really don't think sarcasm is appropriate when it comes to Jews getting killed by terrorists that you support.  I'm sorry you think that's OK.

And you're right, your responses are never well thought out. They are consistent with your typical anti Israel rhetoric that you've laid on here for years.

I'm curious, Do you know who Ralph Wilson is? ;)

730355[/snapback]

No, never heard of him. Is he a Republican politician?

For a start, I reject the notion that it was somehow "all quiet on the Western Front" until those dastardly Hizbollah terrorists launched a sneak attack. In reality it hasn't been all quiet on the Israel/Lebanon border for decades and since Israel ended it's occupation a state of low-level war has existed between Israel and Hizbollah with skirmishs, border incursions in both directions and incursions into each other's airspace (unmanned drones in the case of Hizbollah). In that context, the Hizbollah action represents a minor escalation at most, not a "de facto declaration of war". It was Israel that decided to take things to the next level by targetting Lebanese infrastructure.

So in other words, this is nothing new. Just a continuation of the war that began...in 1979? 1967? How about 1948?

Even if I accepted that Lebanon had declared war on Israel that still does not mean that Israel is entitled to do anything at all it wants to Lebanon. You keep repeating the phrase "they declared war on Israel" like somehow that means that proportionality goes out of the window. Would you regard it as all well and good were Israel to kill every man, woman and child in Lebanon? Were Israel to deliberately target primary schools, would you still repeat your mantra "well, they started it"? No? Why Not? After all, "they declared war on Israel" and that's all we need to know here. Nothing to see here, case closed, move along.

730334[/snapback]

Let me make this perfectly clear: there is NO law of warfare regarding "proportionality". None. Not when Hizb'Allah rockets Tel Aviv, not when Hamas bombs Sbarro's Pizza restaurants, not when Israel bombs the sh-- out of Lebanon. "Proportionality" in war is just a concept the ignorant use to make themselves feel warm and fuzzy inside that they're fighting a war "humanely". It's a crock. The only way to fight a war humanely is to do it as quickly as possible - to do so disproportionally, in fact. A "proportional" war just kills people without end...case in point: the Arab-Israeli conflict, which has been fought "proportionally" for 60 years now.

And furthermore, it's not my contention that Lebanon declared war on Israel. It's yours. I've said repeatedly that Hizb'Allah declared war, acting in their own interests and not those of the Lebanese. So don't spin your bull sh-- back on me, either. So, yes...if Israel killed every man, woman, and child in Hizb'Allah...that would be perfectly acceptable to me, as you don't pick fights with bigger bullies and then whine about it when you get pummelled.

And another thing. You responding to me at 3 AM your time just shows how pathetic you really are.  Get a life you !@#$ing terrorist. Allah and your 49 just wont beat it, dude.  ;)

730364[/snapback]

Actually my last response to you was at 1.15 am (it seems your arithmatic is somewhat flawed), which is about the usual time I go to bed but thank you for your concern.

So in other words, this is nothing new.  Just a continuation of the war that began...in 1979?  1967?  How about 1948? 

Let me make this perfectly clear: there is NO law of warfare regarding "proportionality".  None.  Not when Hizb'Allah rockets Tel Aviv, not when Hamas bombs Sbarro's Pizza restaurants, not when Israel bombs the sh-- out of Lebanon.  "Proportionality" in war is just a concept the ignorant use to make themselves feel warm and fuzzy inside that they're fighting a war "humanely".  It's a crock.  The only way to fight a war humanely is to do it as quickly as possible - to do so disproportionally, in fact.  A "proportional" war just kills people without end...case in point: the Arab-Israeli conflict, which has been fought "proportionally" for 60 years now. 

And furthermore, it's not my contention that Lebanon declared war on Israel.  It's yours.  I've said repeatedly that Hizb'Allah declared war, acting in their own interests and not those of the Lebanese.  So don't spin your bull sh-- back on me, either.  So, yes...if Israel killed every man, woman, and child in Hizb'Allah...that would be perfectly acceptable to me, as you don't pick fights with bigger bullies and then whine about it when you get pummelled.

730447[/snapback]

And furthermore, it's not my contention that Lebanon declared war on Israel.  It's yours.

Go back and read your earlier posts in this thread:

And even nicer if Lebanon didn't issue a de facto declaration of war to Israel to begin with.

And furthermore, it's not my contention that Lebanon declared war on Israel.  It's yours.  I've said repeatedly that Hizb'Allah declared war, acting in their own interests and not those of the Lebanese.  So don't spin your bull sh-- back on me, either.  So, yes...if Israel killed every man, woman, and child in Hizb'Allah...that would be perfectly acceptable to me, as you don't pick fights with bigger bullies and then whine about it when you get pummelled.

730447[/snapback]

Hizbollah is part of the Lebanese government last I checked. Anderson Cooper did a profile of Hizbollah last night and by his fellating of that criminal organization, you'd think they were the sisters of charity or something. News Flash, Anderson....THEY INVENTED SUICIDE BOMBING.

I hate liberals. I hate them. I know it's not right to hate, but liberals exist in a world where common sense is null and void. They're IDEALISTS, not REALISTS.