2 sides to every story

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A minor distinction between the two sides is that while Hezb paints itself as a "liberating force," their real goal is the elimination of Israel, while Israel has no goal, nor reason to eliminate Lebanon.

Thus, if you present two sides of the story, the stories need to be framed in their proper context.

To continue the discussion started in the "Artist from Beirut" thread.

Hizbullah view

Israeli view

728700[/snapback]

You've GOT to be kidding me.

1) the Friggin Guardian?

2) I'm supposed to listen to the words of a terrorist who by your own reckoning is a mamber of a "minority" in Lebanon and take him seriously?

You've GOT to be kidding me.

1) the Friggin Guardian?

2) I'm supposed to listen to the words of a terrorist who by your own reckoning is a mamber of a "minority" in Lebanon and take him seriously?

728727[/snapback]

Why can't you listen to what he has to say? Are you so supremely confident that the US media is completely fair and balanced that there is no need whatsoever for you to listen to an alternative point of view? Why not research his claims, find out whether there is actually any truth to what he is saying and make up your own mind?

I think you have me confused with someone else. I'm not sure I have ever claimed that Hizbullah are members of a minority in Lebanon.

Why can't you listen to what he has to say? Are you so supremely confident that the US media is completely fair and balanced that there is no need whatsoever for you to listen to an alternative point of view? Why not research his claims, find out whether there is actually any truth to what he is saying and make up your own mind?

I think you have me confused with someone else. I'm not sure I have ever claimed that Hizbullah are members of a minority in Lebanon.

728738[/snapback]

Because he's the head of a criminal organization responsible for the deaths of countless thousands of civilians?

Because he's the head of a criminal organization responsible for the deaths of countless thousands of civilians?

728776[/snapback]

Sorry, but that's just completely incorrect. Most of their activities involve attacks on the Israeli military. Hizbollah didn't even exist until after the Israeli invasion of Lebanon. And I fail to see how any rational person can label attacks on an occupying army "terrorism".

How many deaths of civilians is the leadership of Israel responsible for? At least two hundred in this conflict alone. Wait, I forgot. That's ok because they were "accidental" and Hizbollah started it by attacking the Israeli military.

Sorry, but that's just completely incorrect. Most of their activities involve attacks on the Israeli military. Hizbollah didn't even exist until after the Israeli invasion of Lebanon. And I fail to see how any rational person can label attacks on an occupying army "terrorism".

How many deaths of civilians is the leadership of Israel responsible for? At least two hundred in this conflict alone. Wait, I forgot. That's ok because they were "accidental" and Hizbollah started it by attacking the Israeli military.

728820[/snapback]

Hrm, Khobar Towers, numerous civilian hostages taken, God knows how many CIVILIAN flights hijacked.

728820[/snapback]

You know the story is probably worse, when the UN takes a position largely supporting the Israeli viewpoint - UN the Israeli lapdog.

HIZB'ALLAH CROSSED THE BORDER AND KIDNAPPED ISRAELIS!!!

But you're right, it's not terrorism...it's an act of war.  And it's just shocking that the Israelis accepted the invitation...  <_<

728847[/snapback]

Yup, you're right. Crossing into Israel, killing two Israeli soldiers and kidnapping two Israeli soldiers is not terrorism.

It was an act of war, no matter how many times chicot wants to spin it.

Hrm, Khobar Towers, numerous civilian hostages taken, God knows how many CIVILIAN flights hijacked.

728843[/snapback]

Even assuming Hizbollah was responsible for all the aforementioned, I think you'd be extremely hard pressed to find "countless thousands of civilian deaths" in all those incidents, which was your original statement.

Not sure if what he said was actually "largely supporting the Israeli viewpoint". He also had some pretty harsh words for Israel.

728883[/snapback]

The POV is that it's difficult for Israel to avoid civilian casualties, since Hezb intentionally utilizes human shields. Don't know if you caught the news item that in addition to sending leaflets, the IDF had left phone messages in south Lebanese towns warning of the pending invasion. Now if that's not a novel use of telemarketing, I don't know what is.

The POV is that it's difficult for Israel to avoid civilian casualties, since Hezb intentionally utilizes human shields.  Don't know if you caught the news item that in addition to sending leaflets, the IDF had left phone messages in south Lebanese towns warning of the pending invasion.  Now if that's not a novel use of telemarketing, I don't know what is.

728959[/snapback]

He also said that Israel's offensive was "disproportionate and a violation of international humanitarian law".

It's nice of the IDF to warn people to leave, it would be nicer still if they wouldn't keep bombing people trying to do exactly that.

He also said that Israel's offensive was "disproportionate and a violation of international humanitarian law".

It's nice of the IDF to warn people to leave, it would be nicer still if they wouldn't keep bombing people trying to do exactly that.

728970[/snapback]

And even nicer if Lebanon didn't issue a de facto declaration of war to Israel to begin with.

You keep stumbling over that point, didn't you. Guess what? You declare war on a more powerful neighbor, chances are you get your ass kicked...