Artist from Beirut

Tools who think carpet-bombing is the solution probably won't appreciate this, but I felt there must be at least a few who might be interested in the human perspective from a country suffering for the sins of a minority.

This is a Lebanese improviser, Mazen Kerbaj, playing his trumpet on his balcony along to the bombs. It's pretty chilling -- you probably don't want to listen to it at work.

This is the guy's blog, which features some pretty compelling art.

Tools who think carpet-bombing is the solution probably won't appreciate this,

728532[/snapback]

Koom-bay-ya BushBad! Koom-bay-ya...

Stop crying like a little girl. Why don't we all sit around a table and talk about things. Yeah, that'll work.

Or rather, why don't we follow Kerry's plan. What was it again?

:D<_<

That was a trumpet? Sounded like he was blowing/whistling through a straw.

728566[/snapback]

Ya, Still it was impressive that he kept at it with sounds of explosions sounding relatively close....Imagine that happening in Ed's neighborhood, you think he stands his ground? :D

Ed, I don't even know what you wrote, it's ignored, and I don't really care.  You've made it clear to me that you've sacrificed a bit of your humanity for some warped ideology.

728575[/snapback]

"Tools who think carpet-bombing is the solution probably won't appreciate this"

What a surprise. He didn't appreciate it.

Ed's just a troll anyway. He doesn't have any strongly held beliefs. Don't give him a second thought.

Imagine that happening in Ed's neighborhood, you think he stands his ground? <_<

728578[/snapback]

No. He sits at his computer and creates 11 threads about it on TBD.

Everything from how it's affecting his sleep patterns to whether he should go outside and ask the bombers if they're horrible people to how he hopes none of the shrapnel hits his Fit.

No. He sits at his computer and creates 11 threads about it on TBD.

Everything from how it's affecting his sleep patterns to whether he should go outside and ask the bombers if they're horrible people to how he hopes none of the shrapnel hits his Fit.

728588[/snapback]

:D yep..

I probably would try to bail, those explosions sounded close, to close.

Although Beruit was and is a war ravaged city, so maybe they're use to it, like people living near an airport or jet flight ways <_<

Tools who think carpet-bombing is the solution probably won't appreciate this, but I felt there must be at least a few who might be interested in the human perspective from a country suffering for the sins of a minority.

728532[/snapback]

Philosophical question for the "deep thinker"....If mexico was harboring people who fired rockets into your hometown, would you not expect the government to do something about it?

Philosophical question for the "deep thinker"....If mexico was harboring people who fired rockets into your hometown, would you not expect the government to do something about it?

728623[/snapback]

What would be the real truth: is Mexico harboring them, or are these people using Mexico? My cost-benefit analysis says that making a whole bunch of Mexicans angry that we blew up their neighborhood in search of actual bad guys will cause the survivors to side with the bad guys. I'd expect the government to do something about it, but to me this is the wrong something and far excessive.

Turn it on its head. If the cops, while searching for a really serious criminal, blew up your backyard because they suspected he might be hiding there, would you be totally cool with it, because, in the end, they might get the bad guys?

Turn it on its head.  If the cops, while searching for a really serious criminal, blew up your backyard because they suspected he might be hiding there, would you be totally cool with it, because, in the end, they might get the bad guys?

728631[/snapback]

I'd be responsible for my backyard in the first place and get rid of the bad guy myself. These people (the Lebanese) haven't. I don't really believe they WANT hizbollah gone.

Turn it on its head.  If the cops, while searching for a really serious criminal, blew up your backyard because they suspected he might be hiding there, would you be totally cool with it, because, in the end, they might get the bad guys?

728631[/snapback]

What if you knew he was there and you said nothing to the cops? Lebanon says they want Hizballa out, then start doing something about it. The terrorists are the minority. time for the majority to stand up for themselves.

728623[/snapback]

In this case, the Hizbollah rocket attacks were a response to the Israeli bombing of Lebanese infrastructure. Hizbollah warned that if the Israelis resorted to bombing the infrastructure of Lebanon that they would respond by rocket attacks on Israeli cities. Doesn't make it right, but the popular perception that Hizbollah suddenly started attacking Israeli civilian targets and then Israel responded by bombing Lebanon is simply wrong. Hizbollah attacked a purely military target and captured 2 Israeli soldiers. Israel then responded by bombing the hell out of Lebanon, killing hundreds of Lebanese civilians in the process.

What if you knew he was there and you said nothing to the cops? Lebanon says they want Hizballa out, then start doing something about it. The terrorists are the minority. time for the majority to stand up for themselves.

728638[/snapback]

If that's the case, then it is too late. How is the majority going to stand up for itself when Israel won't even stop the bombing to see if that's possible?

How is the majority going to stand up for itself when Israel won't even stop the bombing to see if that's possible?

728648[/snapback]

They had plenty of time before the bombing started to get them out, correct? How many years were they in southern Lebanon?

728631[/snapback]

Ok, I use to lived in some rough areas in boston where their was gang activity and petty criminals, stealing cars, robbing houses, and mugging people...

Not much I as a citizen of boston could do about the criminal gangs... Other than have tight security on my home and vehicle, and a watchful eye, when I was on the street...And if I noticed some sh--heads pulling crimes, I would call the cops or try to take care of it myself if it was teen punk, maybe, cuz most of those cats carry weapons....

Now if the state pd along with the boston pd started shelling my neighborhood and yard...And one of my family members was injured or suffered a fatality,or even a friend.... I will be enraged, and will do something to seek revenge..No lawyer, no lawsuit....I will give them a taste of their own medicine, hell I already know how to make simple explosive devices, they will get some of those in return....

IMO, revenge is a common emotion for humans to have and if the initial act is serious enough, most people will react back with the same activity or similar...

And the last two decades were just preemptive responses to Israel's future bombing of Lebanese infrastructure...  <_<

728653[/snapback]

Forgive me, I don't ususally read the news, but didn't this latest flare-up originate with Lebanon types kidnapping some Isreali types?