Rep. Wexler says Cocaine

Two things:

1. Cocaine is a fun thing to do. It really is. At least sometimes. It's an incredibly stupid thing to do but that does not diminish its fun at the time.

2. The way they do that show is editing answers to different questions than they are showing, in order to make the guests look stupid. Wexler was a sport to agree to be humiliated, knowing beforehand that is what they were going to do. Humiliate him.

Two things:

1. Cocaine is a fun thing to do. It really is. At least sometimes. It's an incredibly stupid thing to do but that does not diminish its fun at the time.

2. The way they do that show is editing answers to different questions than they are showing, in order to make the guests look stupid. Wexler was a sport to agree to be humiliated, knowing beforehand that is what they were going to do. Humiliate him.

728340[/snapback]

That's really what this country needs is a better sense of humor. We need to be able to laugh at ourselves. Preferably high on cocaine in the company of prostitutes. :unsure:

That's really what this country needs is a better sense of humor.  We need to be able to laugh at ourselves.  Preferably high on cocaine in the company of prostitutes.  :unsure:

728375[/snapback]

Welcome to the board, Charlie Sheen.

Welcome to the board, Len Bias.

729336[/snapback]

It is implicit that whenever anyone mentions "cocaine" they actually mean "completely stomped on 100 times over cocaine" and not "relatively pure" cocaine that killed Len Bias. No one anywhere would likely say that kind of cocaine is fun. Mostly because 99.99% of the world has never seen such stuff. People that actually have will say stuff like, "this'll kill you".

Two things:

728340[/snapback]

1. Cocaine is indeed fun, I'd think! :lol:

2. To be fair to Colbert, his interviews like that aren't actually edited. The congressman also said he DID say it and he WAS joking, when they tried to create a stink about it.

There *are* parts of those types of shoes that are edited, but that wasn't one.

1. Cocaine is indeed fun, I'd think! :P

2. To be fair to Colbert, his interviews like that aren't actually edited.  The congressman also said he DID say it and he WAS joking, when they tried to create a stink about it.

729404[/snapback]

Welcome to board Mr. Sullivan. :lol:

1. Cocaine is indeed fun, I'd think! :lol:

2. To be fair to Colbert, his interviews like that aren't actually edited.  The congressman also said he DID say it and he WAS joking, when they tried to create a stink about it.

729404[/snapback]

Of course he said it, but what they do is get you to say something and then edit in a different question, or cut out a portion of what preceded it to make it look like that was how it happened naturally. Mr brother was on the Daily Show last year and that's exactly what they did to him (and made him like like a total fool, it was great). In the middle of a question they would blurt out some non-sequitor and the taping was still going when he responded. Then in the final cut they put in responses to questions that weren't even asked while they were taping him, but that they taped later. In his case, it was Rob Corddry but that is how they did most all the interviews.

Of course he said it, but what they do is get you to say something and then edit in a different question, or cut out a portion of what preceded it to make it look like that was how it happened naturally. Mr brother was on the Daily Show last year and that's exactly what they did to him (and made him like like a total fool, it was great). In the middle of a question they would blurt out some non-sequitor and the taping was still going when he responded. Then in the final cut they put in responses to questions that weren't even asked while they were taping him, but that they taped later. In his case, it was Rob Corddry but that is how they did most all the interviews.

729469[/snapback]

What was the interview with your brother? - I think I've seen almost every Daily Show - wonder if I'd remember the bit...

What was the interview with your brother? - I think I've seen almost every Daily Show - wonder if I'd remember the bit...

729493[/snapback]

The show about "The New Journalism" and white house correspondents. With "Dino Ironbody-The New Reporter". It wasn't a great episode I didn't think, and I usually love that show.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/03/03.html#a1776

729469[/snapback]

Yeah, I know, the Daily Show does it a lot. It was my understanding that Colbert does it much less though.

Yeah, I know, the Daily Show does it a lot.  It was my understanding that Colbert does it much less though.

729522[/snapback]

If you watch that interview close you can tell over and over when they cut to a different time period. The interview was great, don't get me wrong, and Colbert is fantastic, I think he's great. But really, think about it, do you really think he could get anyone to say stuff like that? My brother told me that he knew he would be humilated by them when they asked him to be on, but thought that people would think he was a good sport for participating in the comedy. And that everyone that goes on the show to some degree does it for that reason.

Oh, come on people! You guys kill me.

a) He said it, he meant to say it, while I wouldnt be suprised to know that editing occurs on these sketches frequently, the cocaine is fun part WAS NOT EDITED (source: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/24/...litics_1830819)

b) Who cares! I am as conservative as they get, and I dont like wexlers politics much. But seriously, WHO CARES. The guy isnt saying he did cocaine today, or even 20 years ago (and even if he did... again, who cares).

It was a joke, it was funny, it was apparently NOT edited. End of story. Some of you guys make this WAY more serious than it is.

If you watch that interview close you can tell over and over when they cut to a different time period. The interview was great, don't get me wrong, and Colbert is fantastic, I think he's great. But really, think about it, do you really think he could get anyone to say stuff like that? My brother told me that he knew he would be humilated by them when they asked him to be on, but thought that people would think he was a good sport for participating in the comedy. And that everyone that goes on the show to some degree does it for that reason.

729536[/snapback]

Except that everything besides your eyes says different. Including the news articles and the congressman himself. :)

Oh, come on people!  You guys kill me.

a) He said it, he meant to say it, while I wouldnt be suprised to know that editing occurs on these sketches frequently, the cocaine is fun part WAS NOT EDITED (source: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/24/...litics_1830819)

b) Who cares! I am as conservative as they get, and I dont like wexlers politics much.  But seriously, WHO CARES.  The guy isnt saying he did cocaine today, or even 20 years ago (and even if he did... again, who cares).

It was a joke, it was funny, it was apparently NOT edited.  End of story.  Some of you guys make this WAY more serious than it is.

729569[/snapback]

Yeah, I thought it was awesome that he did that. He gets my respect for having a sense of humor.

Oh, come on people!  You guys kill me.

b) Who cares! I am as conservative as they get, and I dont like wexlers politics much.  But seriously, WHO CARES.  The guy isnt saying he did cocaine today, or even 20 years ago (and even if he did... again, who cares).

It was a joke, it was funny, it was apparently NOT edited.  End of story.  Some of you guys make this WAY more serious than it is.

729569[/snapback]

It definitely was funny, and a joke. I think everyone knows that and no one is taking it seriously. I sure hope not. And the entire interview is edited. You can see where they edit. And of course he clearly said all that stuff, I didn't mean to say that they cut out parts of what he said. What I was talking about was how they get you to say stuff and then edit in such a way as to make it seem serious and seamless. Which they did terrifically in that particular spot. I was very surprised in that article, however, that his staffers didn't alert him to what they do. That's just a bad staff. :)