Raiders sign Huff

Peter

PFT sux, but good enough news if it's happened.

According to this, Huff gets 4 years, $22-25 mill. I wonder if Whitner is looking for anything longer-term. My guess is it'll pretty much be the same kind of deal, maybe less upfront money. Four years, $20M, $10M bonus, perhaps.

PFT sux, but good enough news if it's happened.

According to this, Huff gets 4 years, $22-25 mill.  I wonder if Whitner is looking for anything longer-term.  My guess is it'll pretty much be the same kind of deal, maybe less upfront money.  Four years, $20M, $10M bonus, perhaps.

728223[/snapback]

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2528698

its a 5 year deal for 22.5 million. i hope whitner signs for 6, but probably wont with huff only signing for 5.

I believe the longest rookies can sign for is 5 years now.

728257[/snapback]

wimbley signed for 6. 6 years is the max up until a certain pick. The rest of the 1sts have 5 years max, and everyone else is 3 or 4.

wimbley signed for 6. 6 years is the max up until a certain pick. The rest of the 1sts have 5 years max, and everyone else is 3 or 4.

728267[/snapback]

I'm not positive but I think it's the first ten picks can sign for six years and anyone else has a cap of five.

EDIT: In this article, Passthepotatoes says it's "the top half of the first round" but I don't necessarily believe him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2521796

I'm not positive but I think it's the first ten picks can sign for six years and anyone else has a cap of five.

728272[/snapback]

actually i think its the top half (16) of the first round can sign up to 6, bottom half can sign up to 5. 2nd and maybe 3rd rounders can sign up to 4, and the rest of the draft can sign for 3

anyways, i'm kinda wary about hearing it from PFT, but if its true then Whitner should be signed soon. Hopefully to a 6 year deal

actually i think its the top half (16) of the first round can sign up to 6, bottom half can sign up to 5.  2nd and maybe 3rd rounders can sign up to 4, and the rest of the draft can sign for 3

anyways, i'm kinda wary about hearing it from PFT, but if its true then Whitner should be signed soon.  Hopefully to a 6 year deal

728275[/snapback]

I edited above to include a link to Passthepotatoes who says the same thing as you. But that is kind of a slam these days to say he thinks the same way as you. :unsure:

EDIT: This site is pretty reliable, IMO, and says the same thing.

Teams can sign rookies selected in the first half of the first round of the NFL Draft to a contract that is at most 6 (six) years. Players taken in the second half of the first round can only be signed to deal with a maximum 5 (five) year duration. Players taken after round one cannot be signed to a deal longer than four (4) years. Meanwhile, rookie contracts can not be renegociated in the first two (2) years.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp