I guess Ralph isn't so senile after all

That's an interesting bit of info that I'm sure most of us didn't know: Language in the TV deal requiring payback in the event of a strike. Now it starts to make sense! I was very suprised at how quickly the owners caved in during the meeting. But considering how much money they stood to lose from a strike, what they gave the players isn't quite so much now.

If you've seen the language of the TV deal, do you know if a strike would void the contract completely?

As a "realist" allow me to say that Wilson was entirely correct in his original complaint. I have negotiated several labor agreements with, among others, ABC and the major Hollywood studios. There is no such creature as a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) which can be thoroughly, or thoughtfully, scrutinized in the 45 minutes allotted to the NFL owners. Wilson and Brown were correct in voting against it for that reason alone.

I won't haggle about the percentages because I believe workers (in this instance players) are entitled to whatever they can get from management. But, clearly, this deal was being ram-rodded because the majority owners feared a strike.

What you may not realize is the television network contracts contain language requiring the league to indemnify them in the event of a strike. That could result in the loss of hundreds of millions of dollars because the networks will no longer accept "scab" games as they once did. However, players stand to lose just as much--if not more--than the owners if there were to be a strike, so it was pretty much a game of "chicken" that saw the owners blink first.

So, Wilson was not senile. The fools were the owners who put their signatures on the document without fully realizing what was in it.

728188[/snapback]

That's an interesting bit of info that I'm sure most of us didn't know:  Language in the TV deal requiring payback in the event of a strike.  Now it starts to make sense!  I was very suprised at how quickly the owners caved in during the meeting.  But considering how much money they stood to lose from a strike, what they gave the players isn't quite so much now. 

If you've seen the language of the TV deal, do you know if a strike would void the contract completely?

The new language regarding a strike had NOTHING to do with the owners caving. The old CBA had no such language and that's what they would have been operating under for another year if they didn't approve a new CBA, therefore a strike would only have meant a work stoppage, which is still a bad thing, but no reason to panic and give away the farm like they did.

The new language regarding a strike had NOTHING to do with the owners caving.  The old CBA had no such language and that's what they would have been operating under for another year if they didn't approve a new CBA, therefore a strike would only have meant a work stoppage, which is still a bad thing, but no reason to panic and give away the farm like they did.

728428[/snapback]

I think I am misssing something in your point.

Neither CBA would include language stating that the owners had to give money back to the networks in the case of a strike. The CBA is between the owners and players; the TV contracts are between the networks and the owners.

The TV contracts are where that would be stipulated and considering that the networks are dropping billions of $'s, I'd have been shocked to find out the networks didn't protect their investment. Scab football is worth nothing to them because no one will want to advertise during those games.

It made for a good T.V clip making fun of the old man, and thats what ESPN is all about.

Who cares if he was right.

727980[/snapback]

That is the soundbyte society we live in now. Ralph actually said a whole lot more about why it was a bad deal then just that little snippet but that is all the "media" kept showing.

I think I am misssing something in your point.

Neither CBA would include language stating that the owners had to give money back to the networks in the case of a strike.  The CBA is between the owners and players; the TV contracts are between the networks and the owners.

The TV contracts are where that would be stipulated and considering that the networks are dropping billions of $'s, I'd have been shocked to find out the networks didn't protect their investment.  Scab football is worth nothing to them because no one will want to advertise during those games.

You're right, my bad. I wasn't thinking clearly at 7 AM.

Avoiding a work stoppage is a good thing overall, but they still had time to get something done without caving like they did. But now that the players have a taste of close to 60% total revenues, it will be impossible to get them to accept less in the future.