LAMP--Con-Ed

During the peak of the heat wave in NY last week, my power went out Monday evening. I was thinking that it would be 24 hours tops because we had just set the record for energy used in a day. Boy was I wrong :D . We have been withour power since, and having entered week two of this debacle, we (my g/f and I) are one of the few thousand residents who hasn't had power restored. We just got our hot water back on Saturday evening.

Link to recent article about the situation

To make matters worse, Con-Ed says that they have been working dilligently in order to restore power, but here is an article that shows workers for the utility sleeping in their trucks.

Con-Ed: Working hard, or hardly working??

I am pi$$ed. All of my food has spoiled, it is 120 degrees in my apartment, and it smells like hot salty garbage.

During the peak of the heat wave in NY last week, my power went out Monday evening.  I was thinking that it would be 24 hours tops because we had just set the record for energy used in a day.  Boy was I wrong :D .  We have been withour power since, and having entered week two of this debacle, we (my g/f and I) are one of the few thousand residents who hasn't had power restored.  We just got our hot water back on Saturday evening.   

To make matters worse, Con-Ed says that they have been working dilligently in order to restore power, but here is an article that shows workers for the utility sleeping in their trucks.

I am pi$$ed.  All of my food has spoiled, it is 120 degrees in my apartment, and it smells like hot salty garbage.

727947[/snapback]

Jeez, I feel for you guys across the border here in Greenpoint. Hope they get your power going soon. That's unbelievable.

My dad works for National Grid as a lineman and they sent him to Philly. He's been working 16 hour days there. I was sort of surprised to hear that Queens wasn't seeking more outside help as well.

Jeez, I feel for you guys across the border here in Greenpoint.  Hope they get your power going soon.  That's unbelievable.

My dad works for National Grid as a lineman and they sent him to Philly.  He's been working 16 hour days there.  I was sort of surprised to hear that Queens wasn't seeking more outside help as well.

727950[/snapback]

I was reading that they had workers come in from Pennsylvania, NJ, and CT. They got guys working around the clock.

I am beginning to feel it in the wallet too. I had to throw away EVERYTHING in the fridge and freezer. As a result, I have had to dine out on a daily basis.

It is pretty boring. I have actually looked forward to coming into work for all the wrong reasons. At least I have internet access here.

I was reading that they had workers come in from Pennsylvania, NJ, and CT.  They got guys working around the clock.

I am beginning to feel it in the wallet too.  I had to throw away EVERYTHING in the fridge and freezer.  As a result, I have had to dine out on a daily basis. 

It is pretty boring.  I have actually looked forward to coming into work for all the wrong reasons.  At least I have internet access here.

727967[/snapback]

Power outages here in SW Ohio are common with the summer storms. Nothing of the length you've had, though.

Those inexpensive (10 to 25 bucks) 5-inch b&w TVs that run on D-cells, AC, or a car battery work well enough.

Only broadcast signals, but better than nothing - and you could watch the local tv folks chew out Con Ed and the Mayor. :unsure:

Dang, that's gotta really suck.

I gripe and moan about the fact that I lose power almost weekly, but it's seldom for more than an hour.

I almost posted a gripe post here about the 'rebate' I got from NationalGrid for roughly $5 for them failing to achieve their performance objectives.

I spend ~$3000 for electricity & delivery & I get a pitiful $5 credit? Wow, I bet they're losing sleep over that penalty.

727947[/snapback]

I'll bet their trucks have AC and Con_Ed is paying for their meals. :unsure:

Seriously, I think they are trying hard to get you back up.

During the peak of the heat wave in NY last week, my power went out Monday evening.  I was thinking that it would be 24 hours tops because we had just set the record for energy used in a day.  Boy was I wrong :unsure: .  We have been withour power since, and having entered week two of this debacle, we (my g/f and I) are one of the few thousand residents who hasn't had power restored.  We just got our hot water back on Saturday evening.   

I am pi$$ed.  All of my food has spoiled, it is 120 degrees in my apartment, and it smells like hot salty garbage.

727947[/snapback]

Please guy, come to south florida during hurricane season. Wilma knocked my power out for 2 weeks. No A/C, no hot water, no lights, no gas, three inches of water in the house and nothing remotly edible. And the weather was decent for about 2 days then the heat kicked up again. I know what you are going through it happens to us 5 times a summer at least. Stupid El nino.

Please guy, come to south florida during hurricane season. Wilma knocked my power out for 2 weeks. No A/C, no hot water, no lights, no gas, three inches of water in the house and nothing remotly edible. And the weather was decent for about 2 days then the heat kicked up again. I know what you are going through it happens to us 5 times a summer at least. Stupid El nino.

728037[/snapback]

It is one thing to have your power out due to a natural disaster--it is another thing when its negiligence against the utility that provides you with your power. Mayor Michael Bloomberg is calling for a criminal investigation against the utility and local councilmen and political leaders are asking for the CEO's resignation.

Natural disasters are explainable and unpreventable. Living in South Florida, it comes with the territory. THis is something that could have, and should have been prevented.

During the peak of the heat wave in NY last week, my power went out Monday evening.  I was thinking that it would be 24 hours tops because we had just set the record for energy used in a day.  Boy was I wrong :unsure: .  We have been withour power since, and having entered week two of this debacle, we (my g/f and I) are one of the few thousand residents who hasn't had power restored.  We just got our hot water back on Saturday evening.   

727947[/snapback]

I'm sorry to hear that dude. And to think, when I lost power the other night for twenty mintues, I was bitching up a storm. ;)

Good luck.

727947[/snapback]

I blame Canada.

$3000?!?! That's insane!

Electric heat. Cheapest bill is over $100/month in the Spring/Fall.

Winters are cold here (although probably not as bad as Minn).

I think I pay roughly 12¢ /kwh plus various other charges.

727947[/snapback]

Sorry to hear about the lack of juice.

Do you have any room in a yard or on a patio to set up a generator if you were to rent one or borrow one?

Between ice storms and freak Labor Day storms, I have been without electricity for extended times on several occasions. Having a generator has been huge.

One again, sorry you are without power.

Sorry to hear about the lack of juice.

Do you have any room in a yard or on a patio to set up a generator if you were to rent one or borrow one?

Between ice storms and freak Labor Day storms, I have been without electricity for extended times on several occasions.  Having a generator has been huge.

One again, sorry you are without power.

728175[/snapback]

No backyard--I live in an apartment complex.

I did get out this past weekend to go to Long Beach in Long Island to enjoy some quality Yeungling lager out of a kegerator, the beach, poker, golf, and grilling to help ease the pain and provide me with mindless entertainment and to help me take my mind off of my predicament. I think it just might be enough to hold me over.

No backyard--I live in an apartment complex.

I did get out this past weekend to go to Long Beach in Long Island to enjoy some quality Yeungling lager out of a kegerator, the beach, poker, golf, and grilling to help ease the pain and provide me with mindless entertainment and to help me take my mind off of my predicament.  I think it just might be enough to hold me over.

728197[/snapback]

Watch Con Ed try and charge you for something.

The way they operate, it wouldn't shock me. :unsure: