Couple of tidbits I heard over the weekend

eball

Take these for what they're worth; I met someone at a party whose father has "ties" to Mouse McNally, so these comments are from his perspective:

-- Last year was McNally's least enjoyable since he started coaching; there was a tense, uncomfortable feeling from the top down.

-- Team had little confidence in JP; seemed to be "lost" at the LOS.

-- Strongly believes Peters is the real deal and could become a perennial All-Pro.

That was the extent of our conversation; no more details beyond what I've indicated above.

#1 is really no surprise to me; I think we as fans could sense that as well. #2 is certainly a concern, because you can go two ways with it: either JP doesn't have it "mentally," or he simply played like a rookie and needs more playing time. I haven't heard or seen anything from JP that would lead me to believe he's a dummy, so (surprise) I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until we see what happens this summer.

#3 is really great news. Kudos to Marv for getting Peters locked up.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that every Bills fan can see the potential of Jason Peters and is most definitely good that we locked him up for a few years :unsure: As far as JP goes, it wouldn't surprise me if he was a bust because everything else Donahoe did has seemed to turn to poo :D

McNally's line has sucked since he got here.

He's supposed to be able to take a bunch of crud players and get something out of them.

Who cares what McNally says. He's an average coach and nothing special.

Peters doesn't play LT, LG, C,, and RG all at once. Maybe we'd be better if he did.

As to the comment about being lost at the LOS, maybe you would be too not knowing where the heat's coming from on any given play. Losman got a few games here and a few games there. Anyone thinking that was a fair audition is on crack. McNally's a moron. If our line doesn't improve this season I say we kick his a$$ outta here. All we've had is talk about how McNally was going to take every other team's trash and turn it into something special. Yeah, we've got something special alright, one of the worst lines in the league. If you were a QB would you be excited to play behind our line? Or Willis?

As to Peters, put me in the I'll believe it when I see it category. If everything that these overrated coaches said was true we'd be challenging to go the Super Bowl this seaosn.

As to the first comment, it wasn't exactly the fans most enjoyable season to watch either.

Everything?  Like Peters?

727800[/snapback]

If you want to give Danahoe the credit for finding Peters so be it, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. But Peters wasn't drafted, so I don't think he was on Donahoe's or any other teams draft board. His favorite team growing up was the Bills and was a big reason why he signed a free agent contract here. I'm not saying that Donahoe didn't have anything to do with acquiring him, but I also don't want to give him all the credit like he was some genius.

He's supposed to be able to take a bunch of crud players and get something out of them. 

Who cares what McNally says.  He's an average coach and nothing special. 

727804[/snapback]

He should be fired b/c he doesn't live up to some columnists' prediction that he's the second coming?

Duke Preston, a 4th rounder, and Jason Peters, an undrafted rookie, came along pretty well last season. But I'm sure JM had nothing to do with that. :D

You can't make bricks without clay.

Who cares what McNally says.  He's an average coach and nothing special. 

Peters doesn't play LT, LG, C,, and RG all at once.  Maybe we'd be better if he did. 

As to the comment about being lost at the LOS, maybe you would be too not knowing where the heat's coming from on any given play.  Losman got a few games here and a few games there.  Anyone thinking that was a fair audition is on crack.  McNally's a moron.  If our line doesn't improve this season I say we kick his a$$ outta here.  All we've had is talk about how McNally was going to take every other team's trash and turn it into something special.  Yeah, we've got something special alright, one of the worst lines in the league.  If you were a QB would you be excited to play behind our line?  Or Willis? 

As to Peters, put me in the I'll believe it when I see it category.  If everything that these overrated coaches said was true we'd be challenging to go the Super Bowl this seaosn. 

As to the first comment, it wasn't exactly the fans most enjoyable season to watch either.

727804[/snapback]

McNally had a fat, injured bust at RT, an aging scrapper with one arm the entire season at RG, an out of position overrated-at-adequate C, a fat, penalty-waiting to happen slob-in-a-slump at LG and a street FA oft injured journeyman at LT. Oh, and a poor blocking or non-existent TE. But he did have a terribly coached unit, disarray in the locker room and no quarterbacking. He really should have molded a tremendous line out of that, and I don't know how he couldn't.

Yeah, all indications are that McNally was saddled with Williams and Teague at RT and C, and they weren't the right men for the jobs. As KTD said, throw-in Villy being injured most of last year and the inability to find a decent LG (some of which I will lay at the feet of McNally, since he was the one who thought Larry Smith would be a good LG) and there ya go.

Yeah, all indications are that McNally was saddled with Williams and Teague at RT and C, and they weren't the right men for the jobs.  As KTD said, throw-in Villy being injured most of last year and the inability to find a decent LG (some of which I will lay at the feet of McNally, since he was the one who thought Larry Smith would be a good LG) and there ya go.

727820[/snapback]

Hard to say that "McNally thought Lawrence Smith would be a good LG". It's my recollection and opinion that the LGs we had we SO bad that McNally thought Smith was the bench of the crappy bunch, and ended up starting a FA over what he was given. But that doesn't mean he thought he was good.

Raise your hand if you're glad that didn't happen.  Here's one.

727872[/snapback]

I second the motion.

Leinart isn't the Buffalo type. In terms of being able to hack/throw in the winds and weather, and in terms of he needs an OL or else he's Bledsoe2.

No doubt McNally did not have the greatest, or even mid-level talent to work with. But the fact that the line was "lost" speaks to the coaching. If players are adjusting and calling the correct schemes, but are just not good enough to execute, that's not the fault of the coach. But for the coach to say the OLine was "lost," shouldn't he be asking why?

McNally's most recent stint with the Giants produced some pathetic OLines. It's pretty clear he's like 99.9% of the other coaches in the NFL- you're smart with great players and you're an idiot with average to below-average players. Nobody is a miracle worker- the talent shines through on Sunday.

So this was from a guy who sells ties to JMac?

Seriously, what does "ties" mean?  We've been down this road before.

727822[/snapback]

Come on Francis.

Couple of tidbits I heard over the weekend, from a supposed "insider"...

I would say that's full disclosure...in other words take it or leave it.

So this was from a guy who sells ties to JMac?

Seriously, what does "ties" mean?  We've been down this road before.

727822[/snapback]

Reading comprehension a problem for ya? How many disclaimers do I need to write?

#2 doesn't surprise or concern me.  However if it remains that way THIS year, it will.

727776[/snapback]

I'm not worried- JP will struggle....this is his 2nd year, and 1st in this offense. He's bound to get confused at times