Briere $5 million says TSN

millbank

$5 million for Briere

The Sabres now have 48 hours to accept the settlement or reject it and allow Briere to become an unrestricted free agent. Even if the Sabres accept the one-year deal, Briere will be eligible for free agency after the season. For that reason, the Sabres were rumoured to be quietly shopping Briere throughout the arbitration process.

In fact, Briere could be involved in a "sign-and-trade" within the next couple of days. The two sides are working on a 5-year, $25 million deal that would then see Briere dealt immediately. Montreal, Los Angeles and Atlanta are among the teams in the mix.

$5 million for Briere

In fact, Briere could be involved in a "sign-and-trade" within the next couple of days.  The two sides are working on a 5-year, $25 million deal that would then see Briere dealt immediately.  Montreal, Los Angeles and Atlanta are among the teams in the mix.

727561[/snapback]

I don't see the Sabres dealing Briere, he's a co captain and it would send the wrong message to all the other guys on the roster, especially with many of them under arbitration. As many could just accept short deals and become UFAs in a year or two. On the off chance he was dealt, I truly doubt the Sabres would deal Briere to a division rival like Montreal. Atlanta might inline for a top line C with Savard in Boston. Yet they don't have much to offer back unless want to give up prospects. The Kings could prove interesting but again really don't see Danny elsewhere.

I don't see the Sabres dealing Briere, he's a co captain and it would send the wrong message to all the other guys on the roster, especially with many of them under arbitration. As many could just accept short deals and become UFAs in a year or two. On the off chance he was dealt, I truly doubt the Sabres would deal Briere to a division rival like Montreal. Atlanta might inline for a top line C with Savard in Boston. Yet they don't have much to offer back unless want to give up prospects. The Kings could prove interesting but again really don't see Danny elsewhere.

727566[/snapback]

This is a tough call for the Sabres. As it stands now to keep him they must pay him

$5 million for this season after which he will be a unrestricted free agent. If he and Sabres do well this year, he would stand to increase his salary next season. If $5 million is to much now, no chance are they going to pay him more next year, its a given he would have signed a multi-year contract at $5 Million if it had been offered or he didnt think he could get more after this year.

The message that would be being sent is the Sabres have a limit they will pay players and for sure this will effect the rest of the team and the length of contracts they sign.

At issue is can the Sabres find in a trade a player as good as Briere or close for the money they wish to pay. On the short term they likely can.

727566[/snapback]

I think the players are already getting the message, if you are looking for some money in a contract, don't talk to us.

If Briere goes, so does the chance at the cup.

The only deal I see fair for Briere from Atlanta would be Kovalchuck, Maybe add in Biron too. But since Kovalchuck makes more then a bag of pucks, I doubt Darcy would pull the trigger.

$5 million for Briere

The Sabres now have 48 hours to accept the settlement or reject it and allow Briere to become an unrestricted free agent. Even if the Sabres accept the one-year deal, Briere will be eligible for free agency after the season. For that reason, the Sabres were rumoured to be quietly shopping Briere throughout the arbitration process.

In fact, Briere could be involved in a "sign-and-trade" within the next couple of days.  The two sides are working on a 5-year, $25 million deal that would then see Briere dealt immediately.  Montreal, Los Angeles and Atlanta are among the teams in the mix.

727561[/snapback]

I know that is what TSN reported, but the CBA states the Sabres have until 48 hours after resolution of their last arbitration case to make a decision to walk away (provided they haven't maxed out on their "walk-away rights" (w/ 8 arbitration cases still possible, they'd be able to walk away from 4)).

I know that is what TSN reported, but the CBA states the Sabres have until 48 hours after resolution of their last arbitration case to make a decision to walk away (provided they haven't maxed out on their "walk-away rights" (w/ 8 arbitration cases still possible, they'd be able to walk away from 4)).

727652[/snapback]

I really was not discussing the walk away process as much as conjecturing as to why the arbitors decision took so long to be announced.  Frankly a number of parties have stated that Brieres agent and the Sabres were working on a long term agreement , so to that extent it not a stretch to suppose they would have tried to extend the process as long as possible by whatever means they could. 

Here is article 12

from CBA

Arbitration

this is not from TSN

12.6. Walk-Away Rights.

1. If a Club has elected to arbitrate a one year contract, and the award issued is for $550,000 or more per annum, then the Club may, within 72 hours after the award of the Arbitrator is issued (or if a Club has any other player still eligible for salary arbitration at that time and for whom a decision has not been rendered by an Arbitrator at that time, and the Club still has a walk-away right available to it in such League Year pursuant to paragraph (d) below, 72 hours after the award of the Arbitrator for such other player is issued), notify the player, the NHLPA and the NHL in writing that it does not intend to tender to the player a Player Contract based on the award as determined by the Arbitrator. Upon receipt of that notice, the player shall automatically be deemed to be an Unrestricted Free Agent, subject to the provisions of paragraphs © and (d) below.

2. If a Club has elected to arbitrate a two year contract and the award issued is for $550,000 or more per annum, then the Club may, within 72 hours after the award of the Arbitrator is issued (or, if a Club has any other player still eligible for salary arbitration at that time and for whom a decision has not been rendered by an Arbitrator at that time, and the Club still has a walk-away right available to it in such League Year pursuant to paragraph (d) below, 72 hours after the award of the Arbitrator for such other player is issued), notify the player, the NHLPA and the NHL in writing that it does not intend to tender to the player a two year Player Contract based on the award as determined by the Arbitrator. Upon receipt of that notice by either the player or the NHL, the player and the Club shall enter into a one year Player Contract providing for the Compensation set forth in the award and the player will automatically be deemed to be an Unrestricted Free Agent at the conclusion of that one year Player Contract subject to the provisions of paragraphs © and (d) below.

3. If a Club exercises its walk-away right, the following applies:

1. If the player accepts an offer from a New Club in respect of that year of the contract which the Prior Club has walked-away from that is less than 80% of the award for such year, the Prior Club may, within seven (7) days after the date it receives the applicable Offer Sheet, elect to match the offer of the New Club and the Player and the Prior Club shall enter into a Player Contract on those terms and conditions; or

2. The player may (A) within seven (7) days after receipt of notice from the player's Prior Club that the Prior Club elects to walk-away from the arbitration award, in respect of the Prior Club's request for a one year contract, or (B) by July 15 of the League Year following the expiry of the first year of the award issued by the Arbitrator where the Club had requested a two-year contract, in either case by written notice to the Club, elect to enter into a Player Contract with the Club on the terms and conditions set forth in the Prior Club's Qualifying Offer. If such election is timely exercised, the Club must enter into such contract and, at the end of the term thereof, the Player shall be a free agent subject to the provisions of Article 10.

4. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (a) and (b) above, a Club may exercise the walk-away rights referred to therein not more than 3 times in any contiguous two League Years and in any event not more than twice in any League Year. If a Club exercises its walk-away right with respect to a two year award, the walk-away right shall be deemed to be exercised in the first year of the two year contract.

Here is article 12:1 from CBA

Arbitration

727656[/snapback]

You should probably link to the 2005 CBA rather than the old one. :D

Section 12 has had SIGNIFICANT modifications in the new version.

The section you are looking for is now 12.10. (12.6 in the new version covers the selection of arbitrators.)

EDIT: I didn't notice your comment in your last post that ended up "quoted" to me. Right now, I have absolutely no clue as to why it took so long to announce Danny's award to the public. Hopefully you are right and they are working on a LT deal.

Edited by dave_b

You should probably link to the 2005 CBA rather than the old one.  :D

Section 12 has had SIGNIFICANT modifications in the new version.

The section you are looking for is now 12.10.  (12.6 in the new version covers the selection of arbitrators.)

727657[/snapback]

Right you are , surprised you did not provide it....

CBA

Right you are , surprised you did not provide it....

CBA

727665[/snapback]

Sorry 'bout that. Didn't have the energy to go back tracking down where the link was. (I've been working off a paper copy of Article 12.)

Sorry 'bout that.  Didn't have the energy to go back tracking down where the link was.  (I've been working off a paper copy of Article 12.)

727668[/snapback]

What am I to know, I used the link provided by the NHL.Com site, I should have used the NHLPA site link. , I would have thought the NHL site would have been up to date

Fact is the Sabres anyway you wish to slice it, have a decision to make one of which is to walk away and Briere be a free agent even this year and at present he will be one next year. Its fair enough to conjecture as to what they might do.

$5 million for Briere

727561[/snapback]

[habs fan]

Pleasepleaseplease let this happen...

[/habs fan]

Briere wanted the exact same thing that veteran rearguard Jay McKee was seeking: a long-term deal with respectable dollars.

" I'm happy with the one year award", said Briere, "but all I really wanted was a long term deal. Like Jay (McKee), my wife, kids , and I love the Buffalo area. A long term deal is what we were seeking. They (the Sabres) don't do business that way. We'll see what happens", said Briere

Hockeybuzz.com

Briere wanted the exact same thing that veteran rearguard Jay McKee was seeking: a long-term deal with respectable dollars.

" I'm happy with the one year award", said Briere, "but all I really wanted was a long term deal. Like Jay (McKee), my wife, kids , and I love the Buffalo area. A long term deal is what we were seeking. They (the Sabres) don't do business that way. We'll see what happens", said Briere

Hockeybuzz.com

727724[/snapback]

Lets get him wrapped up for 4 years 16 million

[habs fan]

Pleasepleaseplease let this happen...

[/habs fan]

727719[/snapback]

I'm not a Darcy basher, but if he lets Briere go I just might have to jump on that bandwagon. If he is dealt, there is no way in hell he would be traded to a team in the division.

Hockeybuzz.com

727724[/snapback]

Sure, whatever you say Briere. Tallinder probably doesn't agree with that comment.

Including Briere's salary, the Sabres have ~$26 million in contracts for next season. Last year's team played for ~$29 million. I believe the Sabres still have 9 players eligible for arbitration, including Max (if Briere got $5, what's the leading scorer get?) Kalinin, Lydman, Campbell, Dumont, Connolly, Gaustad, and Pominville. All are due BIG raises.

I heard Darcy reference $33-34 million as the targeted total salary this year. There is no way they are at that number, considering where they already are, and the players yet to sign. The only savings I can see is that they should be able to free up ~$2 million by dealing Biron.

Locking up Ryan Miller to a long-term deal needs to happen. He is the key. But if they have to keep developing players and then trading them when they become too expensive, the team might as well move to Kansas City and call themselves the Royals.

Including Briere's salary, the Sabres have ~$26 million in contracts for next season.  Last year's team played for ~$29 million.  I believe the Sabres still have 9 players eligible for arbitration, including Max (if Briere got $5, what's the leading scorer get?) Kalinin, Lydman, Campbell, Dumont, Connolly, Gaustad, and Pominville.  All are due BIG raises.

727905[/snapback]

Campbell is already taken care of. Connolly's concussion history is going to hurt him badly in his hearing. Lydman already makes a big salary and he won't get too much of an increase. Kalinin's poor season will probably hurt him. Guastad will get a decent raise, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay below the $1 million mark. I have no idea what to expect for Afinogenov, Pominville, and Dumont. I just pray that no one else gets the same arbitrator that Briere had. :D