Glenn Wesley takes Cup to Marines.

millbank

Stanley visits the U.S Marines

Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Glen Wesley and his wife, Barb, have often passed by Jacksonville, N.C., home of the U.S. Marines' Camp Lejeune, when they take their three children to the beach. Camp Lejeune is the East Coast base for Marines.

Wesley knew that many Marines injured in battle rehabilitate at the base and he is aware of the debt that we all owe to these valiant soldiers.

As a member of the Stanley Cup-winning Hurricanes, Wesley was entitled to one day with the Stanley Cup and he decided to spend part of that day with members of Wounded Warrior Barracks at Camp Lejeune.

Wesley hoped it would help pay respect and raise the spirits of the wounded Marines and that it did.

- Interesting no word on Daniel Briere arbitration hearing. It was supposed to be announced by noon today. Islander Mike York's case was after Brieres but decision was announced today with player getting 2.85 million. Teams have 48 hours to agree or walk away from this decision , if team decides to walk away the player is a immediate free agent.

- also Mark Cuban's bid to purchase the Pittsburgh Penguins has been rejected

Cuban Bid

Stanley visits the U.S Marines

Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Glen Wesley and his wife, Barb, have often passed by Jacksonville, N.C., home of the U.S. Marines' Camp Lejeune, when they take their three children to the beach. Camp Lejeune is the East Coast base for Marines.

Wesley knew that many Marines injured in battle rehabilitate at the base and he is aware of the debt that we all owe to these valiant soldiers.

As a member of the Stanley Cup-winning Hurricanes, Wesley was entitled to one day with the Stanley Cup and he decided to spend part of that day with members of Wounded Warrior Barracks at Camp Lejeune.

Wesley hoped it would help pay respect and raise the spirits of the wounded Marines and that it did.

- Interesting no word on Daniel Briere arbitration hearing.  It was supposed to be announced by noon today.  Islander Mike York's case was after Brieres but decision was announced today with player getting 2.85 million.  Teams have 48 hours to agree or walk away from this decision , if  team decides to walk away the player is a immediate free agent.

- also Mark Cuban's bid to purchase the Pittsburgh Penguins has been rejected

Cuban Bid

727427[/snapback]

I didn't think that his was scheduled following one of the other 2 hearings. (Didn't pay that close attention to it, but I thought that the league was at or below 56 hearings remaining when they scheduled the hearings. If so, all the hearings should have started at 9:00AM.)

Yeah, I am kind of curious as to why his decision hasn't been announced to the unwashed masses. (Not sure why Mike Smith's hasn't been announced either.)

BTW, that was a very classy gesture on the part of Wesley. Hope it brightened some days.

Can't wait to hear about all the cool things the Sabres do with Lord Stanley's Chalice next July. :D

I didn't think that his was scheduled following one of the other 2 hearings.  (Didn't pay that close attention to it, but I thought that the league was at or below 56 hearings remaining when they scheduled the hearings.  If so, all the hearings should have started at 9:00AM.)

Yeah, I am kind of curious as to why his decision hasn't been announced to the unwashed masses.  (Not sure why Mike Smith's hasn't been announced either.)

BTW, that was a very classy gesture on the part of Wesley.  Hope it brightened some days.

Can't wait to hear about all the cool things the Sabres do with Lord Stanley's Chalice next July.  :D

727464[/snapback]

Brieres was to be the first.... that is why it is interesting no word has came out , given Islander player decision has. It was Darcy on radio who said that decision would be made public by noon Saturday. Its not speculation regarding the process , after a players hearing , the decision is to be announced no later than 48 hours after hearing , this is written into the agreement process. What that means likely is that League , Team , Agent and Player will be made aware of decision, and these parties at their discretion may inform the public when they wish. Its very possible for what ever reason one of the parties simply could not be reached .

Brieres was to be the first.... that is why it is interesting no word has came out , given Islander player decision has.  It was Darcy on radio who said that decision would be made public by noon Saturday.  Its not speculation regarding the process , after a players hearing , the decision is to be announced no later than 48 hours after hearing , this is written into the agreement process.  What that means likely is that League , Team , Agent and Player will be made aware of decision, and these parties at their discretion may inform the public when they wish.  Its very possible for what ever reason one of the parties simply could not be reached .

727469[/snapback]

You are correct about the 48 hours. But if there were 56 or less hearings scheduled, then ALL hearings would be scheduled for 9:00 on their particular day. I know that 69 players filed for arbitration, but more than 13 have settled outside of arbitration. I don't know if enough were settled prior to setting hearing dates/times, but it was my understanding that Danny and the 2 Mikes all had their hearings at 9:00 on Thursday. (Obviously, I don't know that for fact.)

As for someone not being reached, that is reasonably plausible as Danny is on vacation. Somehow, though, I would expect that his agent, the union, or the Sabres would be able to reach him via cell phone. I know that I would be real interested in hearing how much money I'd make next year, if I were in his shoes (skates).

You are correct about the 48 hours.  But if there were 56 or less hearings scheduled, then ALL hearings would be scheduled for 9:00 on their particular day.  I know that 69 players filed for arbitration, but more than 13 have settled outside of arbitration.  I don't know if enough were settled prior to setting hearing dates/times, but it was my understanding that Danny and the 2 Mikes all had their hearings at 9:00 on Thursday.  (Obviously, I don't know that for fact.)

As for someone not being reached, that is reasonably plausible as Danny is on vacation.  Somehow, though, I would expect that his agent, the union, or the Sabres would be able to reach him via cell phone.  I know that I would be real interested in hearing how much money I'd make next year, if I were in his shoes (skates).

727480[/snapback]

Thing is it was stated that Daniel's hearing was going to lead the process , his being the first to be heard, the others to follow his , not be done at the same time, his at 9 oclock, the others after his. This was stated on the NHL site, by Daniel, by Darcy, by numerous media sources.

Thing is the team and player can continue to negotiate until the decision has been announced, it would not be the first time that parties found away to not be able to be contacted such that they could continue to talk if they are close. It would be a way of buying some time. You are right , no way does he go on vacation and not want to hear result as soon as possible. ( unless it extends talk)..

It could even be they have come to agreement , and the issue is for them to send the agreement to NHL before they are contacted of Arbitors decision.

Easy to speculate many things, we will know soon enough.