Which is the real penny

millbank

The country is getting itself into a pickle.  It now costs more than a penny to mint a penny.  Perhaps they will be outlawed.

726874[/snapback]

It only costs an extra few million a year. The cost to consumers if the penny was outlawed would be FAR greater as you can be sure that retailers will make sure things round up a nickel instead of down.

CW

I's the cost of copper. Pennys for a long time have been a veneer of copper over some zinc alloy. In the late 70's I thin, the veneer got really thin. Take a penny from the 60s and one from now. Drop them on a table. You can hear the difference.

Make them out of steel (or some other metal)like in 43 when all the copper went to the war efort.

I's the cost of copper.  Pennys for a long time have been a veneer of copper over some zinc alloy. In the late 70's I thin, the veneer got really thin. Take a penny from the 60s and one from now. Drop them on a table. You can hear the difference.

Make them out of steel (or some other metal)like in 43 when all the copper went to the war efort.

727163[/snapback]

Actually, the main penny cost is zinc, not copper... :D

http://www.1728.com/projects.htm

CW

I guessed right, my wife guessed g.

As to the penny dillemma, I think they should make pennies every five years instead of yearly, and make it illegal to hoard pennies. I know I have a gallon in the other room. The fine for hoarding...Your pennies.

As to the penny dillemma, I think they should make pennies every five years instead of yearly, and make it illegal to hoard pennies.  I know I have a gallon in the other room.  The fine for hoarding...Your pennies.

727726[/snapback]

I hope that last part was a joke--last thing we need is another pointless law that restricts people's actions.