I was just wondering

1. The loss of key players is an obvious factor (Williams, Bledsoe, Spikes).

2. The bad attitudes of the veterans (some understandable some not) I'm sure created a tough locker room situation for younger developing players.

3. Predictable offense-

-3rd down draw play to Shaud Williams every f$%king time.

-McGahee up the middle, seldomly sent outside.

-KH to dump it 7 yards to Moulds

4. Predictable defense-

-"Overblitzing" may not be a phrase but it should be in the Official WNY

Dictionary. Milloy on the blitz and OH MY!!! Clements or McGee gets burned

5. Mularky is gutless. He should have stepped up and made it very clear

to the team who the coach was. It seems like parenting to me, you can

be "friends" with your child and they will walk all over you. Or you can

guide your children with discipline and commitment and they may not like you

but they will act responsibly and make sound decisions and most

importantly realize who the boss is.

What happened to the Bills and Mike Mularky...I mean they were 9-7 in 2004, a pretty good record and one win away from the playoffs....then bam last year, we suck again...I'll be honest, I thought MM was going to be a good one

726630[/snapback]

I too thought that MM would be a good coach; something that still wouldn't surprise me down the road. The following is an answer to your question; the best guess I can offer.....

1) It is almost impossible to distinguish MM from TD in terms of making good and bad moves. MM was handed the job much in the way (although not as inexplicably stupid) that JP was handed the job. A weak case could be made that MM in some way deserved it. No rational fan can say the same for JP imo.

2) FFS/PG is correct. Cutting Shaw was a brave and smart move. He would catch a 7 yard pass while the team was down 21 points, spike the ball, and go into contortions. Then, he would drop pass after pass. He sucked, and had to go in a hurry.

Who gets credit, TD or MM?

3) The Bills had a terrible game and lost at home to Steeler scrubs. Someone blamed Bledsoe, and kicked him off the team. TD was fired from Pitt, and this too is where MM came from. Someone was embarrassed and acted like a small child. Meanwhile, JP is still listed as 2nd on the depth chart. Idiocy personified.

Who gets the blame, TD or MM?

4) After having squandered a 1st round pick for JP (call it what you will, a 2nd & 5th, whatever) despite having glaring needs at both lines, we opened our 05 draft with Roscoe (I'm a little teapot) Parrish and Everrett. Nice way to protect an inexperienced qb, huh? More idiocy.

Who gets the blame, TD or MM?

5) Losing TKO was crushing.

My guess is that MM was a virtual puppet of TD. MM was a novice of sorts and TD was an experienced football man, who had winning teams and superior drafts, until of course he arrived in Buffalo. :D

In 05, the lid flew off in terms of Williams, Moulds, Adams, and getting production from JP. Again, I am only speculating, but I don't think that MM had the power to cause all of this.

Jmo.

In 2004 we faced 5 teams  which appeared in the playoffs that year and played a total of 7 games because NE and NYJ both made it.

In 2005 we faced 5 teams which appeared in the playoffs that year and played a total of 6 games because only NE made it from the division.

During the 6 game winning streak which was pivotal to our having a winning record in 04, the 6 teams included 2 playoff teams, 4 of the 6 Ws were on the road and 2 of the road wins (against a horrible SF team and against a playoff making Sea team) involved cross country travel where we historically had stunk.

It is arguable that due to parity in the NFL and the way things happened to fall out with scheduling and injuries that the 04 opponents stunk.  However, its hard to argue that the 04 opponents stunk worse than the 05 opponents.  In fact a reasonable case can be made that the 04 schedule actually was against tougher opponents than 05.

726966[/snapback]

Well the idea of playoff teams implies that the Rams/Seahawks were the equal of the Panthers/Bucs, which is of course ridiculous. It also implies that the '04 Steelers backups were better than last year's Chargers, which is equally ridiculous.

Comparing apples to apples:

04 AFC East > 05 AFC East

04 AFC North < 05 AFC West

04 NFC West < 05 NFC South

The other two "non formula games"...04 Jaguars/Raiders = 05 Bengals/Texans

I still say the '05 schedule was tougher by a decent margin.