"Serenity" in HD - Saturday 10pm

ajzepp

Never saw it.  What's so great about it?

726578[/snapback]

It is a cult movie that was a cast off from a failed Sci-fi TV series. Not a bad "made for TV" movie, but as the box office receipts show it really should not have been a made for theatre movie.

Again, for what it is , it isn't bad, just not as good as some folks would have you believe.

Kind of like Losman, he really is a good football player in comparision to the average human being, but really doesn't belong on the field with NFL players. :D:doh:

It is a cult movie that was a cast off from a failed Sci-fi TV series.  Not a bad "made for TV" movie, but as the box office receipts show it really should not have been a made for theatre movie. 

Again, for what it is , it isn't bad, just not as good as some folks would have you believe. 

Kind of like Losman, he really is a good football player in comparision to the average human being, but really doesn't belong on the field with NFL players.  :D  :doh:

726626[/snapback]

VA, if your basis for what constitues a good film is box office receipts, you have no taste in movies whatsoever.

VA, if your basis for what constitues a good film is box office receipts, you have no taste in movies whatsoever.

726744[/snapback]

A lot of people do not agree with my assessments of movies. But that's why they are mine. However, this was a made for TV movie that happened to be shown at the theatres. Didn't make it bad also didn't make it good, just stating that is was what it was. It was a watchable movie if you like b sci-fi flicks.

A lot of people do not agree with my assessments of movies.  But that's why they are mine.  However, this was a made for TV movie that happened to be shown at the theatres.  Didn't make it bad also didn't make it good, just stating that is was what it was.  It was a watchable movie if you like b sci-fi flicks.

726761[/snapback]

What is your definition of "made for tv"? Low budget? Some of the best movies I've ever seen had very small budgets....are you one of these people who only go see the huge blockbuster films?

What is your definition of "made for tv"?  Low budget? Some of the best movies I've ever seen had very small budgets....are you one of these people who only go see the huge blockbuster films?

726765[/snapback]

Poor/mediocre acting which tends to go with low budget (of course that puts the last 2 Star Wars in that group with the Anikan and Amadala acting). Fake looking props, and generally a very limited plot line seem to be "made for TV".

Serenity meets all three criteria. Again, not a bad movie, just not a "big screen" ready movie.

Poor/mediocre acting which tends to go with low budget (of course that puts the last 2 Star Wars in that group with the Anikan and Amadala acting).  Fake looking props, and generally a very limited plot line seem to be "made for TV". 

Serenity meets all three criteria.  Again, not a bad movie, just not a "big screen" ready movie.

726791[/snapback]

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but if those things were true beyond your own point of view then critics would have been all over it. Bad acting and limited plot lines don't typically receive a lot of critical acclaim. As it stands, 80% of critcs and over 90% of fans gave it a thumbs up.

It is a cult movie that was a cast off from a failed Sci-fi TV series.  Not a bad "made for TV" movie, but as the box office receipts show it really should not have been a made for theatre movie. 

You're right. Fight Club is another example of a TERRIBLE movie. I mean, it had to be terrible because it didn't make much at the box office.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/fightclub.html

Serenity is still top-50 in Amazon sales, 8-9 months after release:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BW7QW...&v=glance&n=130

Other more "popular" movies are below it. Revenge of the Sith? 93rd. Chronicles of Narnia? 273rd. Harry Potter? 55th. Get the point?

And Failed Sci-Fi series? Perhaps that's one way to look at it. It was also the 2nd most TiVo'd show in history. It's also STILL, years later, in the top-25 of DVD sales (and has been in the top 10 more often than not over the past few years).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AQS0...&v=glance&n=130

Was it the best movie of all time? No, not even close. But to call it a b-movie with bad acting is just SO far off the mark that it's not even funny. As was stated elsewhere in this thread, bad movies with bad acting do not get raving reviews from critics. It definately would've been better in TV series format -- beacuse the characters and plot twists are what really made the show exciting -- but the movie was far better than a "b-rate" flick"; if the movie/show were so bad, why is it still selling like hotcakes?

CW

Yep, and the studio didn't pick it for one of the first three HD-DVD releases for no reasn :D

I don't know which is worse VAginaBILLS for posting such an obvious Flashing Neon Troll (If you had let Rich's subtle tweak lie it would have done the trick) or the usual suspects who you knew even before they posted would bite so hard they would hit bone. Supports my theory that technical aptitude drowns common sense. Very sad. :D

BTW, thanks for the heads up ajzepp.

Titan TV's list of showings for the next two weeks follows. [Note the *** rating]

10:00 PM 07/22/06 MAX Serenity (2005, , ***)

1:00 AM 07/23/06 MAXW

5:10 AM 07/23/06 MAX

8:10 AM 07/23/06 MAXW

7:00 PM 07/23/06 MOMAX

10:00 PM 07/23/06 MOMAXW

1:00 PM 07/24/06 MAX

4:00 PM 07/24/06 MAXW

8:00 PM 07/24/06 MAX

11:00 PM 07/24/06 MAXW

4:30 PM 07/26/06 MAX

7:30 PM 07/26/06 MAXW

10:00 PM 07/26/06 MAX

1:00 AM 07/27/06 MAXW

9:00 PM 07/28/06 MOMAX

12:00 AM 07/29/06 MOMAXW

12:30 PM 07/29/06 AMAXe

3:30 PM 07/29/06 AMAXw

8:00 PM 07/29/06 AMAXe

11:00 PM 07/29/06 AMAXw

10:30 AM 07/30/06 MAX

1:30 PM 07/30/06 MAXW

8:00 PM 07/30/06 MAX

11:00 PM 07/30/06 MAXW

1:30 PM 07/31/06 @MAX

9:00 PM 07/31/06 @MAXW

5:00 PM 08/03/06 MAX

8:00 PM 08/03/06 MAXW

8:20 AM 08/04/06 OUTMAX

12:00 AM 08/05/06 OUTMAX

10:30 AM 08/05/06 MOMAX

1:30 PM 08/05/06 MOMAXW

7:00 PM 08/05/06 MOMAX

10:00 PM 08/05/06 MOMAXW

• 1 month later...
I got a chance to watch most of this over the weekend on HBO.  Not bad.

770699[/snapback]

Glad ya liked it :D It actually gets better the second time, cause there are lots of little details that can be missed the first time around if someone isn't familiar with the Firefly series. Give it a second go-round one day and see if that holds true for ya....it's a really good flick!

Glad ya liked it <_<  It actually gets better the second time, cause there are lots of little details that can be missed the first time around if someone isn't familiar with the Firefly series. Give it a second go-round one day and see if that holds true for ya....it's a really good flick!

770872[/snapback]

Where should I start? On Monday morning, while scarfing down my am vittles, I came across this TV show where I recognized the actors. I knew them from previously seeing them in Serenity, so I decided to watch for a few. Little did I know that I was embarking on a two day journey of being glued to my TV. Monday happened to be a "Firefly" marathon on SciFi network, and by the time I realized what I had gotten myself into, I had watched 11 one hour episodes.

This feat revitalized my thirst for Serenity, which I only half paid attention to the first time and stoppped watching after 1 hour. So today after doing the Laundry in the morning, I went to blockbuster and rented Serenity. I spent the afternoon rewatching Serenity and the DVD bonus materials. What a freaking 48 hours!

Oh yeah, for those of you wondering what all the hype is about, I can give you four reasons to watch.

Morena Baccarin

Summer Glau

Gina Torres

Jewel Staite

Where should I start?  On Monday morning, while scarfing down my am vittles, I came across this TV show where I recognized the actors.  I knew them from previously seeing them in Serenity, so I decided to watch for a few.  Little did I know that I was embarking on a two day journey of being glued to my TV.  Monday happened to be a "Firefly" marathon on SciFi network, and by the time I realized what I had gotten myself into, I had watched 11 one hour episodes. 

This feat revitalized my thirst for Serenity, which I only half paid attention to the first time and stoppped watching after 1 hour.  So today after doing the Laundry in the morning, I went to blockbuster and rented Serenity.  I spent the afternoon rewatching Serenity and the DVD bonus materials.  What a freaking 48 hours! 

Oh yeah, for those of you wondering what all the hype is about, I can give you four reasons to watch.

Morena Baccarin

Summer Glau

Gina Torres

Jewel Staite

779712[/snapback]

LOL, welcome to the club <_< I pretty much did the same thing as far as watching them, but I had actually purchased the Firefly DVD set at the urging of Fezmid. I came REALLY close to turning it off in the middle of the pilot episode, but I'm glad I didn't....most of the episodes are GREAT. There is a real chemistry among the players, and Joss Whedon did a great job with the writing.

If more people would give this series/film a chance like you and I did, I think it would become a massive hit.

I'm pretty sure that's Charisma Carpenter:

http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/ce...carpenter_2.jpg

Here's a (not very flattering) picture of Morena:

http://www.celebopedia.com/baccarin/images...na_baccarin.jpg

I'm sure others can do better :angry:

Glad you liked the show - it really is (was) awesome. If I ever win a couple hundred million in the lottery, I'm funding more episodes of the show. :angry:

CW