ESPN and Pat Tillman

Adam

Well, its nice that ESPN thinks they get to decide whether or not Pat Tillman earned his Star or not, and that they are judging the decisions of the army.

ESPN is not a news channel, and the people who work there are not journalists. Anyone who can't see that is nuts

Well, its nice that ESPN thinks they get to decide whether or not Pat Tillman earned his Star or not, and that they are judging the decisions of the army.

ESPN is not a news channel, and the people who work there are not journalists. Anyone who can't see that is nuts

726405[/snapback]

As someone who enter sports reporting as a fresh 23 year old college grad and left by 25 because I realized it was neither journalism or had an integrity, I couldn't agree more. Sure, it's an interesting story and sad at the same time, but the real story is, this guy walked away from millions and life as a pro football player, a position millions envy, to be a soldier for this country and to fight for what he believed in. The Sons of Liberty would be proud. How he died is irrelevant at this point. The message he sent to us is what's important. He's a hero. A refreshingly real person who played a game with a more ignorant college dropouts than real men.

As the days pass, I become more and more disconnected with sports. I stilltune in, check it out, watch these boards but imagine how much would change for someone like me who walked away from a career path as a sports reporter. I realized it's irrelevant and meaningless in our lives. It's a 3 hour getaway, not something to spend you life and career on and become some angry, surly, demeaning blowhard like Jerry Sullivan or Mike Schopp. Someone tell those two that it's a game and it makes their jobs not that big of a deal, maybe they'll lighten up a bit.

I think you're being a bit harsh. Yes, ESPN is sports journalism, but the author of this piece is a two-time Pulitzer Prize nominee in public service and investigative reporting. I think he counts as a real journalist. And Pat Tillman's sacrifice is a compelling story, but not to the exclusion of the other events that took place. If the government - up to the president - knowingly lied to exploit his death, then that is a story, too. And it would be nice if "news" outlets as you call them would step up and cover the story, but just because they don't doesn't mean ESPN shouldn't either.

I'm just starting as a news reporter at a major daily. I went through the same thing deciding whether sports journalism should be a full-time thing, and I came to the same conclusion. But when the writers at ESPN try to step beyond the narrow focus of sports, do they deserve to be criticized for it?

Finally, if you wre reading this in the New York Times or Wall St. Journal, how would you critique the piece?

agreed Adam! Revisionist history which ESPN is trying to cash on in a pompous manner. Tillman is the !@#$ing man! Don't mistake the trees for the forest ESPN and do not try and capitalize on a heros sacrifice!

I wondered myself whether or not this should even be a story...who's reporting it is irrelevant. Some people are just too focused these days on questioning or criticizing authority in order to expose a "wrongdoing" and say they were the first to report it. I'm waiting for the day when a major news outlet claims to be the first to report the 9/11 attacks....enough already.

Pat Tillman's story is one of a kind and should be passed along for many lifetimes after ours, especially to young sports fans. Let's leave it at that, please.

I wondered myself whether or not this should even be a story...who's reporting it is irrelevant. Some people are just too focused these days on questioning or criticizing authority in order to expose a "wrongdoing" and say they were the first to report it. I'm waiting for the day when a major news outlet claims to be the first to report the 9/11 attacks....enough already.

Pat Tillman's story is one of a kind and should be passed along for many lifetimes after ours, especially to young sports fans. Let's leave it at that, please.

726620[/snapback]

The whole Pat Tillman story or just part of it?

The only thing I disagree on this entire pat tillman issue is that he is no more of a hero then any other soldier fighting right now, in the past, or in the future. Sure, alot of the soldiers didn't step away from a career making millions playing a game, but alot of them have left Family's, wives, children, behind to go fight in a war to make sure everyone else is safe and Free back home. Its commendable theat he left a hgih paying job and a football career behind to fight, but he is no more of a Hero then the guy who left 2 kids and his wife behind to fight too.

This is also a comment comming from a Canadian who is willing to stand tall and show support for Canadian and American (and any other country fighting right now) troups fighting in this War and support and commend them for what they are doing. They are all Heros and should be remebered that way.

I think you're being a bit harsh.  Yes, ESPN is sports journalism, but the author of this piece is a two-time Pulitzer Prize nominee in public service and investigative reporting.  I think he counts as a real journalist.  And Pat Tillman's sacrifice is a compelling story, but not to the exclusion of the other events that took place.  If the government - up to the president - knowingly lied to exploit his death, then that is a story, too.  And it would be nice if "news" outlets as you call them would step up and cover the story, but just because they don't doesn't mean ESPN shouldn't either.

I'm just starting as a news reporter at a major daily.  I went through the same thing deciding whether sports journalism should be a full-time thing, and I came to the same conclusion.  But when the writers at ESPN try to step beyond the narrow focus of sports, do they deserve to be criticized for it?

Finally, if you wre reading this in the New York Times or Wall St. Journal, how would you critique the piece?

726469[/snapback]

If the US Army says that Tillman deserved the SIlver Star, then he does- that simple. ESPN does not have a right to nose in, just to report what happened

The whole Pat Tillman story or just part of it?

726639[/snapback]

The whole story....which to me is that he left a life of being wealthy and playing a game for a living to defending his country for almost nothing. That's how Pat Tillman should be remembered.

If the US Army says that Tillman deserved the SIlver Star, then he does- that simple. ESPN does not have a right to nose in, just to report what happened

726651[/snapback]

And if the US army says there are WMD's in Iraq, that simple?

How can you say ESPN doesn't have the right to report what happened? They're reporters.

ESPN is not calling into question the heroism of Pat Tillman. The story of Pat Tillman ended on a barren ridge in Afghanistan more than two years ago. The story they are reporting on is did the government try to exploit his legacy. It's a question worth asking, and a question Pat's parents want answered.

How can you say ESPN doesn't have the right to report what happened?  They're reporters.

ESPN is not calling into question the heroism of Pat Tillman.  The story of Pat Tillman ended on a barren ridge in Afghanistan more than two years ago.  The story they are reporting on is did the government try to exploit his legacy.  It's a question worth asking, and a question Pat's parents want answered.

726733[/snapback]

They can question what happened to him all they want (even though they supposedly report on sports)

Questioning whether he deserved the award or not is not their turf

How can you say ESPN doesn't have the right to report what happened?  They're reporters.

ESPN is not calling into question the heroism of Pat Tillman.  The story of Pat Tillman ended on a barren ridge in Afghanistan more than two years ago.  The story they are reporting on is did the government try to exploit his legacy.  It's a question worth asking, and a question Pat's parents want answered.

726733[/snapback]

Don't even try to explain it to them. Those who support the president hide behind the heroism of people like Pat Tillman, and other equally heroric soldiers, so they can take advantage of the situation to suit their agenda. When a reporter tries to actually get the truth out for a change, they are shouted down as "unpatriotic" or worse.

People ought to read George Orwell's "1984." The parallels between that book and what we are living through today are uncanny an frightening. An endless "state of war" gives government license to suspend the constitution and civil liberties, and accuse those who question their actions with disloyalty.

At this point, someone will move this thread to PPP.

PTR

I read the whole article and think it was fair. Pat would be disgusted if he knew the propaganda spin the government put on his death. The Silver Star awarded is an insult to those who earned it. Just like the Jessica Lynch story was all bull sh-- the government lied about this one. Pat is a hero- no need for the government to create some fictional, hollywood, heroism. The whole thing is sickening!

Not entirely related to the subject of their report on the PT story, I must add my history with ESPN as a sports fan.

Back in the 80's and most of the 90's, I loved the TV channel. I thought they were the ones who where giving all sports fans a good fix, whereas all we had before was newspapers, magazines, and radio. ESPN filled me up with sports and I was satisfied....i'd watch and tune out when I had my fill.

For some reason, right around the mid 90's, they decided to take a new avenue with regards to sports. Their internet site was gaining popularity and they exanded to their TV coverage, etc. etc.

They had me hooked. Remember the great commercials they had? I was still a big fan!

But they exploded. They started peddling the negative side of sports figures and started to get away from the real joy of sports....the x's & o's.

Everytime I tune into Colin Cowherd, Dan Patrick, Mike and Mike, etc. they are focusing more and more on what a player did off the field and base most of their broadcasts on the entertainment side of sports. Mind you, not the entertainment most fans get out of watching a great pitchers duel or a tight football game that goes into OT.....but the shock entertainment value. Who's doing steroids, who smacked who's wife, who ran over which traffic cop,....you get the picture.

I think that today ESPN stands for Entertainment SPiN.

Not entirely related to the subject of their report on the PT story, I must add my history with ESPN as a sports fan.

Back in the 80's and most of the 90's, I loved the TV channel. I thought they were the ones who where giving all sports fans a good fix, whereas all we had before was newspapers, magazines, and radio. ESPN filled me up with sports and I was satisfied....i'd watch and tune out when I had my fill.

For some reason, right around the mid 90's, they decided to take a new avenue with regards to sports. Their internet site was gaining popularity and they exanded to their TV coverage, etc. etc.

They had me hooked. Remember the great commercials they had? I was still a big fan!

But they exploded. They started peddling the negative side of sports figures and started to get away from the real joy of sports....the x's & o's.

Everytime I tune into Colin Cowherd, Dan Patrick, Mike and Mike, etc. they are focusing more and more on what a player did off the field and base most of their broadcasts on the entertainment side of sports. Mind you, not the entertainment most fans get out of watching a great pitchers duel or a tight football game that goes into OT.....but the shock entertainment value. Who's doing steroids, who smacked who's wife, who ran over which traffic cop,....you get the picture.

I think that today ESPN stands for Entertainment SPiN.

727022[/snapback]

couldn't agree more. Cowherd can come up with interesting topics, but I'll never forget or forgive his disrespect towards the late Eddie Guerrero

I read the whole article and think it was fair.  Pat would be disgusted if he knew the propaganda spin the government put on his death.  The Silver Star awarded is an insult to those who earned it.  Just like the Jessica Lynch story was all bull sh-- the government lied about this one.  Pat is a hero- no need for the government to create some fictional, hollywood, heroism.  The whole thing is sickening!

727008[/snapback]

I read it too. I agree that it was fair. It is easy for the government to come off bad when they keep changing their story or even worse, hide in a cloud of secrecy. The article does no disrespect to Pat, it acknowledes his sacrifice, and repeatedly commends his character. He is described as humble, and I know that in other articles I read about the man, he did not want a big deal media blitz made out of his decision to quit the NFL for the army. Given his nature I think it's even more ironic that the army felt the need to fabricate a story and cover up the truth. Basically, they used him. ANd that makes me mad.

The whole story....which to me is that he left a life of being wealthy and playing a  game for a living to defending his country for almost nothing. That's how Pat Tillman should be remembered.

726713[/snapback]

I don't think that in order to honor Pat Tillman and what he did that we have to pretend that what happened after his death didn't happen or agree never to speak of it. One can discuss the Warren Commission without it somehow degrading memories of JFK. It is not an either or situation. The two issues are unrelated.

I read the whole article and think it was fair.  Pat would be disgusted if he knew the propaganda spin the government put on his death.  The Silver Star awarded is an insult to those who earned it.  Just like the Jessica Lynch story was all bull sh-- the government lied about this one.  Pat is a hero- no need for the government to create some fictional, hollywood, heroism.  The whole thing is sickening!

727008[/snapback]

I'm not talking about spin- I didn't even pay attention to it. All I know is that the US Army deemed him worthy of an award- even if he did not meet the normal criteria. I am fine with that- that is their decision to make- not mine, or the media.

I accept that he was a hero, and thats more than enough for me.

727008[/snapback]

I have to agree the Pat would be disappointed but you have to realize that he gave up part of his NFL career to join the army and fight for our country.