Status of our draft pick signings

Anyone have the details of whos signed and not and prognosis?

725887[/snapback]

Here's an excerp from a column today, from B'gal Cincy Enquirer reporter Mark Curnutte:

"The Bengals creep closer to the start of training camp without any of their eight draft picks signed to contracts.

But not having any picks under contract makes the Bengals the rule, not the exception, in the NFL.

Around the league, about 80 picks have signed, and just one of them is a first-rounder. The Texans reached agreement with defensive end Mario Williams the night before making him the No. 1 pick of the draft.

The complication league-wide is language that has yet to be delivered to teams by the NFL Management Council. It governs how teams can contractually punish players and actually works in favor of players because owners essentially accepted the NFL Players Association's last proposal to extend the collective bargaining agreement in March.

For example, the CBA extension eliminates the Bengals' so-called Carl Pickens Clause, which would have allowed them to recoup signing bonus money paid up-front to a player. The new deal also prevents teams from getting back signing bonus money from past years, which the Dolphins did two years ago when tailback Ricky Williams retired. The Dolphins got money back that had been paid to Williams by the New Orleans Saints in 1999."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...SPT02/607200339

Here's an excerp from a column today, from B'gal Cincy Enquirer reporter Mark Curnutte:

"The Bengals creep closer to the start of training camp without any of their eight draft picks signed to contracts.

But not having any picks under contract makes the Bengals the rule, not the exception, in the NFL.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...SPT02/607200339

725919[/snapback]

Well, the Bengals do have that bail issue to deal with too. Tough to get players signed when they only have 1 hour visiting time. :lol:

Well, the Bengals do have that bail issue to deal with too.  Tough to get players signed when they only have 1 hour visiting time. :lol:

725923[/snapback]

:o

A columnist in the Sunday paper opined that Bad, Bad, Mikey Brown is getting back into the picture after 4 years of keeping his nose out. Past B'gals could fill a prison wing.

Poor Marvin.

Interstingh as there was a report (published I think but I did not retain the linky) that the Bears had signed all their picks. This was used as new information which countered me answering a question someone raised about whether the Bills were slow in their signings. I shared my perspective that in the past the signings had started with late rounders who set the price and then creeped up to 1st rounders signing at the last moment or later.

It appears that this Bear's story (if true) was the exception and the rule is still about the process taking time and ending at the last minute or beyond. One hopes expects that a player like Whimer who was drafted at a much higher slot than anyone expected (and thus more $ than he expected) and the word he is a high character guy means he and the Bills will get a last minute deal done before camp begins.

Interstingh as there was a report (published I think but I did not retain the linky) that the Bears had signed all their picks. This was used as new information which countered me answering a question someone raised about whether the Bills were slow in their signings. I shared my perspective that in the past the signings had started with late rounders who set the price and then creeped up to 1st rounders signing at the last moment or later.

It appears that this Bear's story (if true) was the exception and the rule is still about the process taking time and ending at the last minute or beyond. One hopes expects that a player like Whimer who was drafted at a much higher slot than anyone expected (and thus more $ than he expected) and the word he is a high character guy means he and the Bills will get a last minute deal done before camp begins.

725980[/snapback]

[/quI

I dont think it matters where he was supposed to be drafted, he will get his money regardless. They drafted him there for a reason and he and more importatntly his agent both know that. As for the Bears they didnt have a 1st rounder so they really didnt have to wait to use the domino effect of all the 1st round signings. I hope Bush doesnt hold everyone back with a holdout that looks to be inevitable.