Altoona Curve

First of all, I agree that the promotion is very funny and clever...HOWEVER, the coffee giveaway is in poor taste. If folks knew all of the facts behind the McDonald's coffee lawsuit, they would realize that calling the suit frivolous is ridiculous. I'd like to know how the guys around here would feel if they accidentally spilled some drive-thru coffee into their laps and instantly burnt the skin off their penises. It ain't funny, or frivolous.

First of all, I agree that the promotion is very funny and clever...HOWEVER, the coffee giveaway is in poor taste.  If folks knew all of the facts behind the McDonald's coffee lawsuit, they would realize that calling the suit frivolous is ridiculous.  I'd like to know how the guys around here would feel if they accidentally spilled some drive-thru coffee into their laps and instantly burnt the skin off their penises.  It ain't funny, or frivolous.

725507[/snapback]

yeah i remember reading about that thing. i rember afterwards thinkin mcd's deserved to be sued.

*of course they always deserve to be sued.. they were the ones to brought that crap food to the countries forefront.

I'd like to know how the guys around here would feel if they accidentally spilled some drive-thru coffee into their laps and instantly burnt the skin off their penises.  It ain't funny, or frivolous.

725507[/snapback]

Anything concerning a penis the size of mine is certainly not frivolous. Burning the skin off of that thing would be like clearing rainforests in the Amazon.

First of all, I agree that the promotion is very funny and clever...HOWEVER, the coffee giveaway is in poor taste.  If folks knew all of the facts behind the McDonald's coffee lawsuit, they would realize that calling the suit frivolous is ridiculous.  I'd like to know how the guys around here would feel if they accidentally spilled some drive-thru coffee into their laps and instantly burnt the skin off their penises.  It ain't funny, or frivolous.

Did McD's PUT the hot coffee BETWEEN the woman's legs? The cup says "caution, coffee is hot."

725507[/snapback]

but it was. and frankly, i am not stupid enough to put ***HOT*** coffee in between my legs. She was, and thats her fault. The jury should have given her the settlement of 1 solid whack upside the head with a hard blunt object for being a moron.

<Sigh> If only we could punish stupidity.

but it was. and frankly, i am not stupid enough to put ***HOT*** coffee in between my legs. She was, and thats her fault. The jury should have given her the settlement of 1 solid whack upside the head with a hard blunt object for being a moron.

725558[/snapback]

here we go

Did McD's PUT the hot coffee BETWEEN the woman's legs?  The cup says "caution, coffee is hot."

725536[/snapback]

Way to go, children of ignorance. Do yourselves a favor and read the link posted by rtconner.

Way to go, children of ignorance. Do yourselves a favor and read the link posted by rtconner.

Did you read THIS at the bottom of that link?

Courtesy of Legal News and Views, Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers

What was that about ignorance, again?

The lady bought coffee at a drive-thru and put it between her legs. Couldn't she have put it anywhere ELSE? Could she have asked for one of those paper caddies? Have you ever had a 185 degree coffee cup between your legs? It's STILL fuggin' hot WITHOUT spilling it on yourself.

I'd like to know how the guys around here would feel if they accidentally spilled some drive-thru coffee into their laps and instantly burnt the skin off their penises.  It ain't funny, or frivolous.

725507[/snapback]

I will offer insight on this tragedy.

4 of us cruising down the highway in the front bench seat of a pickup truck , each of with our 25oz hot morning coffee on the way to work, while smoking a joint.

scott who was in the middle toking at the remnants of a roach with his coffee between his legs(while wearing shorts) dropped the roach between his legs, burnt his leg and reacted by squeezing his legs together,which crushed the coffee cup and ended uo spilling hot coffee directlty on his nutz and stick.

He immediately started screaming and shuffling in the packed front bench seat the 4 of us were sharing. Now were all stoned and this is the funniest thing to witness when your baked and your co-worker is putting on a hilirious show because he just roasted his nutz with hot coffee while jammed in a truck cruising down the highway with no way for him to alleviate agony. Sad but hilarious :)

here we go

725567[/snapback]

"The most important message this case has for you, the consumer, is to be aware of the potential danger posed by your early morning pick-me-up. Take extra care to make sure children do not come into contact with scalding liquid, and always look to the facts before rendering your decision about any publicized case."

Save me from myself, or I'll sue.... :)

"The most important message this case has for you, the consumer, is to be aware of the potential danger posed by your early morning pick-me-up. Take extra care to make sure children do not come into contact with scalding liquid, and always look to the facts before rendering your decision about any publicized case."

Save me from myself,  or I'll sue.... :)

Tort reform is NOT needed. Every case has merit! ;)

Did you read THIS at the bottom of that link?

"Courtesy of Legal News and Views, Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers"

What was that about ignorance, again?

725645[/snapback]

The ignorance and knee-jerk reactions of people whose only response to news of the McDonald's verdict was "WHAT? Coffee is SUPPOSED to be hot!!!" necessitated an effort to disclose the actual FACTS of the case. Imagine that.

I have to deal with these attitudes on a weekly, and sometimes daily, basis. Trial lawyers take a beating because people keep listening blindly to the insurance industry and big business message that lawsuits are out of control, when the truth is that trials have been steadily declining in both number and value for years.

Yes, it is everyone's responsibility to act reasonably, but why in these situations do people only blame the individual? The "little guy" does need help, believe it or not. There are plenty of protections in place to make sure the courts are not riddled with frivolous or unjustifiable claims.

EVERYBODY -- including McDonald's -- knew that when people go to the drive thru, they often put their purchase between their legs while they get their money, etc. Is that unreasonable? Of course not. In 1994 every vehicle didn't have cup holders. Is it reasonable to brew coffee at a temperature that causes irreparable burns within seconds?

It honestly pains me to hear the ignorance of folks like you who know none of the facts yet make blanket statements based upon the misleading messages put out by those who would be served by removing all hint of accountability for their actions.

The ignorance and knee-jerk reactions of people whose only response to news of the McDonald's verdict was "WHAT?  Coffee is SUPPOSED to be hot!!!" necessitated an effort to disclose the actual FACTS of the case.  Imagine that.

I have to deal with these attitudes on a weekly, and sometimes daily, basis.  Trial lawyers take a beating because people keep listening blindly to the insurance industry and big business message that lawsuits are out of control, when the truth is that trials have been steadily declining in both number and value for years.

Yes, it is everyone's responsibility to act reasonably, but why in these situations do people only blame the individual?  The "little guy" does need help, believe it or not.  There are plenty of protections in place to make sure the courts are not riddled with frivolous or unjustifiable claims.

EVERYBODY -- including McDonald's -- knew that when people go to the drive thru, they often put their purchase between their legs while they get their money, etc.  Is that unreasonable?  Of course not.  In 1994 every vehicle didn't have cup holders.  Is it reasonable to brew coffee at a temperature that causes irreparable burns within seconds?

It honestly pains me to hear the ignorance of folks like you who know none of the facts yet make blanket statements based upon the misleading messages put out by those who would be served by removing all hint of accountability for their actions.

725968[/snapback]

Dude, stop. You're killing me. You can't be serious. The McDonald's coffee lawsuit was the EPITOME of frivolity.

Dude, stop. You're killing me. You can't be serious. The McDonald's coffee lawsuit was the EPITOME of frivolity.

725974[/snapback]

I'd expect that from you. I'll stop posting in this thread now. Go Bills.

The ignorance and knee-jerk reactions of people whose only response to news of the McDonald's verdict was "WHAT?  Coffee is SUPPOSED to be hot!!!" necessitated an effort to disclose the actual FACTS of the case.  Imagine that.

I have to deal with these attitudes on a weekly, and sometimes daily, basis.  Trial lawyers take a beating because people keep listening blindly to the insurance industry and big business message that lawsuits are out of control, when the truth is that trials have been steadily declining in both number and value for years.

Yes, it is everyone's responsibility to act reasonably, but why in these situations do people only blame the individual?  The "little guy" does need help, believe it or not.  There are plenty of protections in place to make sure the courts are not riddled with frivolous or unjustifiable claims.

EVERYBODY -- including McDonald's -- knew that when people go to the drive thru, they often put their purchase between their legs while they get their money, etc.  Is that unreasonable?  Of course not.  In 1994 every vehicle didn't have cup holders.  Is it reasonable to brew coffee at a temperature that causes irreparable burns within seconds?

If you're stupid enough to put a hot cup of ANYTHING between your legs, you have no one to blame but yourself. The U.S. has become a country of people who CANNOT accept responsibility for their own problems and need to pin the blame on someone else. And that's largely because there are too many lawyers who need to drum up business, and who will take ANY case no matter how ridiculous it is. And GREAT to hear that lawsuits are decreasing. But it's only a start.

I'd expect that from you.  I'll stop posting in this thread now.  Go Bills.

725988[/snapback]

700 incidents of serious burn... How many cups of coffee did they sell over that period? If this coffee was so hot that it would melt the flesh off your bone - why did people put it in their mouths? Are their mouths immune from the scalding hot tempertures? Why would anyone buy a second cup from them if the 1st one was so hot they couldn't drink it? Did most people buy it and let it sit for 15 minutes until they started to drink it? Didn't the fact that they sold a billion cups of coffee indicate that the general public didn't think it was too hot?

725974[/snapback]

The jury disagreed with you on that one after a trial, though.

I would think there are better examples. Typically, they are dismissed or overturned. For example, from Snopes:

In 1993, McDonald's was unsuccessfully sued over a car accident in New Jersey. While driving, a man who had placed a milkshake between his legs, leaned over to reach into his bag of food and squeezed the milkshake container in the process. When the lid popped off and spilled half the drink in his lap, this driver became distracted and ran into another man's car. That man in turn tried to sue McDonald's for causing the accident, saying the restaurant should have cautioned the man who had hit him against eating while driving. :lol: