BUYING A CAR VIA EBAY FROM OUT OF STATE

Talonz

I am currently in the market for a used car. I am thinking about purchasing one through eBay. Has any NY state resident purchased a car from out of state? Is it a pain to get the title transferred? Is there anything special I need to know?

Thanks in advance!

I am currently in the market for a used car.  I am thinking about purchasing one through eBay.  Has any NY state resident purchased a car from out of state?  Is it a pain to get the title transferred?  Is there anything special I need to know?

Thanks in advance!

725340[/snapback]

Well, I sold a car on ebay. Actually, it didn't make to the final bid time because a guy emailed me and offered me $4G CASH for my 1996 integra. I popped a chubby and drove the car to him the next day. His parents are car dealers so he already had the paperwork straightened out. I might be able to get you his email if you really want to find out more info. (I hear he has a 96 acura for sale @ about 10k :) JK)

Actually, it didn't make to the final bid time because a guy emailed me and offered me $4G CASH for my 1996 integra. 

725404[/snapback]

Not to be a d!ck, but is that ethical? Does it happen a lot?

I just bought a car from a dealer in Massachussets this weekend. I did the paperwork, as long as you have a clean out of state title, I was able to transfer my plates from my old car to the new one. I did have to pay NYS sales tax, so I ended up with form 82 and one of the tax forms (I forget which one)

Not to be a d!ck, but is that ethical? Does it happen a lot?

725407[/snapback]

I ponedered the ethics and realized that most everyone on the damn site is trying to get over on the next guy. I just stopped my auction and sold it to the guy who wanted it the most. Several other members emailed me about doing the same thing as that guy but he offered the most $ and was persistent about it. Ebay tries to dissuade auctioners from this practice by slapping a $50 listing fee, no matter what happens with the car. So Ebay got their $, I got my $ and dude got a sweet integra with a huge system. :)

I am currently in the market for a used car.  I am thinking about purchasing one through eBay.  Has any NY state resident purchased a car from out of state?  Is it a pain to get the title transferred?  Is there anything special I need to know?

Thanks in advance!

725340[/snapback]

A guy I work with bought one in Fla. off e-bay, to get the title he paid for the car before seeing it, registered it in new york, so he could drive it back.

He flew down to find that he was slightly misled, he would of walked away, but he already owned it.

He flew down to find that he was slightly misled, he would of walked away, but he already owned it.

725414[/snapback]

Not surpised. Trolling around ebay, it's hard to find anyone who isn't trying to stick it to ya. The entire reason I was selling the car was that it was due for a water pump change and a belt replacement as well within the year. After talking to him, I realized he knew his sh-- and would understand what he was taking on with a car that had 80,000 miles.

Trolling around ebay, it's hard to find anyone who isn't trying to stick it to ya. 

725420[/snapback]

No doubt. My wife was found some paper that she liked until she saw that they were charging $10.00 shipping. For 100 sheets of paper!

A guy I work with bought one in Fla. off e-bay, to get the title he paid for the car before seeing it, registered it in new york, so he could drive it back.

725414[/snapback]

I guy I work with bought one in Texas; got a very good deal on a two year old Mercedes with front grill damage (literally, all it was...car was clean otherwise). Of course, he was lucky enough to have a friend in Texas who could check the car out for him before bidding...and smart enough to not pay until he took delivery of the car.

So if you're smart about it, it is possible to get a good deal on a car on Ebay and not get ripped off. If you're smart about it. If not, you're likely to get screwed...

No doubt. My wife was found some paper that she liked until she saw that they were charging $10.00 shipping. For 100 sheets of paper!

725422[/snapback]

A lot of ebay sellers make their profit by over charging on shipping. Many people don't bother to check that detail when they are bidding.

One girl in my office has bought 4 cars off E-bay and another has bought 2. They have had no problems but both have always bought from dealers not individuals and traveled to pick them up.

I guess it is a reasonable way to buy inexpensive cars for your kids. That's why they've done it so often.

I had a friend buy a car on e-Bay. He went to pick it up and on his way home, the thing died.

People will try to scam you on e-Bay. I saw somewhere that a guy had a picture of a PSP box. People thought he was selling the actual PSP player, but when you read the fine print, he stated he was selling the box only and not the player. Some dude bought a PSP box for $221 :doh: .

A lot of ebay sellers make their profit by over charging on shipping.  Many people don't bother to check that detail when they are bidding.

725433[/snapback]

that why you must always check

I'm add the bid price and the shipping and then I determine if I would pay that total price for it if it was in a store.

:D

Thanks in advance!

725340[/snapback]

My cousin purchased a 1980 Alfa Romeo off ebay. We picked it up in Manhattan and drove it back to Montreal. It is the same as buying in any other method. The only trouble is crossing the border.

I bought a car off of E Bay this past march.A number of items/problems  were not disclosed about the vehicle,and I sold it (in disgust) at a loss four months later.

Ask LOTS,and I mean LOTS of questions if you are going to do this....

'Buyer beware'

726997[/snapback]

It wasn't a 96 Integra was it? :D

p.s. I know it wasn't :P