Anyone have problems with actors using their fame

Frankly, I don't see how a concert is ruined one bit by a singer saying one line about his personal politics between songs, regardless of what those politics are, but maybe that's just me.

724422[/snapback]

It might spoil it for me...

...but then, if I thought it would, I just wouldn't go. Startling concept, I know...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might spoil it for me...

...but then, if I thought it would, I just wouldn't go.  Startling concept, I know...

724451[/snapback]

No one complained when Clinton played the saxophone on Arsenio. So what's the diff? I mean, no one that wasn't already complaining.

No one complained when Clinton played the saxophone on Arsenio. So what's the diff? I mean, no one that wasn't already complaining.

724456[/snapback]

The difference is, no one mistook Clinton for a professional musician simply because he was a political figure. But professional entertainers are portrayed as experts outside of their fields all the time. Which, as I said, is usually less their fault than it is the media's.

Although sometimes, entertainers actually ARE professionally skilled outside of entertainment fields. Hedy Lamarr springs most immediately to mind. But Sean Penn's not an expert on hurricane relief just because he brought a leaky boat to New Orleans, no matter how much the media portrays him as such.

And I never bothered watching that episode of Arsenio, either. I didn't vote for Clinton because of his saxophone skills any more than I'd go to a Sean Penn movie for his politics.

I think the problem with the Dixie Chicks was that they blindsided what was for the most part a very conservative fan base. Trust me, many of their former fans, seeing the true cat out of the bag have chosen the "just don't go route". The political statements were career suicide. Very brave, of really stupid, you make the call.

I think the problem with the Dixie Chicks was that they blindsided what was for the most part a very conservative fan base.  Trust me, many of their former fans, seeing the true cat out of the bag have chosen the "just don't go route".  The political statements were career suicide.  Very brave, of really stupid, you make the call.

724474[/snapback]

I think what's most embarrassing isn't that they're trying to be controversial and all, but they just aren't very smart. That's why I'm such a huge fan of a guy like James Carville. I agree with him about as often as I get to make out with supermodels, but the guy is brilliant, witty, and interesting as hell. I have all the respect for someone who has a differing viewpoint but is well thought out and respectful in their presentation of it. The Dixie Chicks come off like their Daddy went off in an anti-Bush rant and they're trying to repeat what they heard at the dinner table :)

The difference is, no one mistook Clinton for a professional musician simply because he was a political figure.  But professional entertainers are portrayed as experts outside of their fields all the time.  Which, as I said, is usually less their fault than it is the media's.

Although sometimes, entertainers actually ARE professionally skilled outside of entertainment fields.  Hedy Lamarr springs most immediately to mind.  But Sean Penn's not an expert on hurricane relief just because he brought a leaky boat to New Orleans, no matter how much the media portrays him as such.

And I never bothered watching that episode of Arsenio, either.  I didn't vote for Clinton because of his saxophone skills any more than I'd go to a Sean Penn movie for his politics.

724462[/snapback]

Of course not, and that's precisely the point. Who cares what the singer says politically at his concert. It has as much meaning and significance as the politician singing or playing a saxophone.

I think the problem with the Dixie Chicks was that they blindsided what was for the most part a very conservative fan base.  Trust me, many of their former fans, seeing the true cat out of the bag have chosen the "just don't go route".  The political statements were career suicide.  Very brave, of really stupid, you make the call.

724474[/snapback]

The Dixie Chicks are doing pretty well. It was hardly career suicide. They just switched genres and are still selling millions. I'm sure they were shocked that it became such a huge story. Naive, for sure, that it wouldn't cause such a stir, but it was just a personal feeling and bad joke by one of the three singers. They didnt go to England or that concert to make a political stand.

The Dixie Chicks are doing pretty well. It was hardly career suicide. They just switched genres and are still selling millions. I'm sure they were shocked that it became such a huge story. Naive, for sure, that it wouldn't cause such a stir, but it was just a personal feeling and bad joke by one of the three singers. They didnt go to England or that concert to make a political stand.

724482[/snapback]

I stand corrected. I see that the latest album was certified platinum.

Link

Oddly enough I haven't heard a song off the album. So it wasn't career suicide, but they certainly don't seem to hold the same level of notoriety they once had.

My problem with musicians making their concerts into political ralies is that I am paying to see you perform your music. I could care less what your stance is on this topic or this political leader. You are getting paid to perform your music, not force your opinions down my throat.

There are only a few bands that I would say I don't have a problem with them showing a political stance because that is what their music is about. (A band like Rage against the machine or System of a Down, or any type of folk singer whos music has strong political lyrics) I don't want to hear a band like Pearl jam or the Dixie Chicks (actually, I don't want to hear them at all, but thats besides the point) spout off about how they don't like whatever they are on now.

I stand corrected.  I see that  the latest album was certified platinum.

Link

Oddly enough I haven't heard a song off the album.  So it wasn't career suicide, but they certainly don't seem to hold the same level of notoriety they once had.

724495[/snapback]

Here's the song/video to the dixie chicks not ready to make nice off their new cd.

I'm just posting a link/not a statement.

http://www.findvideos.com/videos.php?id=2090

Of course not, and that's precisely the point. Who cares what the singer says politically at his concert. It has as much meaning and significance as the politician singing or playing a saxophone.

724479[/snapback]

More to the point: if you care, don't go. I opted out of watching Clinton play the sax; why can't I opt out of listening to the Dixie Chicks proselytize?

More to the point: if you care, don't go.  I opted out of watching Clinton play the sax; why can't I opt out of listening to the Dixie Chicks proselytize?

724507[/snapback]

You can, and you do, and you did. And if you would be so kind, please opt out of participating in the remainder of this thread. :)

He seems like a guy who believes in this particular little cause, and surely he has to weed through 100s if not 1000s of offers like this.

724368[/snapback]

Yeah, somewhere there's someone saying "Dammit, we've been rejected by Pitt, too! Is there no one out there who is willing to step forward and take a stand against cat juggling?!"

My problem with musicians making their concerts into political ralies is that I am paying to see you perform your music. I could care less what your stance is on this topic or this political leader. You are getting paid to perform your music, not force your opinions down my throat.

There are only a few bands that I would say I don't have a problem with them showing a political stance because that is what their music is about. (A band like Rage against the machine or System of a Down, or any type of folk singer whos music has strong political lyrics) I don't want to hear a band like Pearl jam or the Dixie Chicks (actually, I don't want to hear them at all, but thats besides the point) spout off about how they don't like whatever they are on now.

724496[/snapback]

Why should an artist have to separate his/her politics from his/her art? Just because the art doesn't always overtly reflect their personal politics doesn't mean that the said artist shouldn't ever be able to voice what that political view is. Your purchase of a concert ticket or going to a gallery doesn't negate their right to free speech. If you don't like what they have to say, whether it be through their art or not, don't go or support them.

If you pay $50 to see Don Henley play Hotel California, or whatever, and at some point in the show he states he's opposed to the war (not sure what his stance is, or what he did to freak out the people in Atlanta...I'm just using it as an example), why is he at fault? Because he made you uncomfortable? Because you paid $50?

Why should an artist have to separate his/her politics from his/her art?  Just because the art doesn't always overtly reflect their personal politics doesn't mean that the said artist shouldn't ever be able to voice what that political view is.  Your purchase of a concert ticket or going to a gallery doesn't negate their right to free speech.  If you don't like what they have to say, whether it be through their art or not, don't go or support them. 

If you pay $50 to see Don Henley play Hotel California, or whatever, and at some point in the show he states he's opposed to the war (not sure what his stance is, or what he did to freak out the people in Atlanta...I'm just using it as an example), why is he at fault?  Because he made you uncomfortable?  Because you paid $50?

724595[/snapback]

I paid my money to see him perform Hotel California, not to have to hear his political views, thats what I have a problem with.

That ticket i purchased was not for a political rally, it was for a concert to hear them play their music. Why do they feel that I should have to hear how they don't support x or Y or they dislike this political leader. Just shut up and do what your paid to do and play your music.

Just because your a celebrity, it doesn't mean that I care about your political views or want to know exactly what you believe in when I have payed my hard earned money to see you play your music.

I paid my money to see him perform Hotel California, not to have to hear his political views, thats what I have a problem with.

That ticket i purchased was not for a political rally, it was for a concert to hear them play their music. Why do they feel that I should have to hear how they don't support x or Y or they dislike this political leader. Just shut up and do what your paid to do and play your music.

Just because your a celebrity, it doesn't mean that I care about your political views or want to know exactly what you believe in when I have payed my hard earned money to see you play your music.

724634[/snapback]

Couldnt have said it better myself. Not interested in politics when Im going to a entertainment event. If I want to agrivate myself with political crap I'll watch CNN or something(which I almost never do anymore).

BTW imho Pitts best flicks, at least in terms of his acting ability, are "Kalifornia" and "Snatch".

724634[/snapback]

Ummmm... Hotel California is his political views. :) Better hope he doesn't play "The Last Resort" you may have to leave the show.

Couldnt have said it better myself. Not interested in politics when Im going to a entertainment event. If I want to agrivate myself with political crap I'll watch CNN or something(which I almost never do anymore).

BTW imho Pitts best flicks, at least in terms of his acting ability, are "Kalifornia" and "Snatch".

724646[/snapback]

Pitt was hysterical in Snatch. The dude has talent.