Long time fans know this era more typical

I get a kick out of the younger or bandwagon fans who view the Bills as a team of excellence whose recent down years are an abberation. The facts are that this team is down a lot more than it's up. I loved the late 80s early 90s teams, but the abberation was those teams and the teams of the mid 60s.

Here's something to remember: This team went 22 years without a home playoff game from 1966 until 1988. We long suffering fans have seen things a lot worse than we've got now. Since the merger, we've had the worst record in the league as many times as we've been in the Super Bowl.

I know this post is a bit of a downer, but in reality, there's a lot more hope for this team than some of the truly dismal teams with virtually no talent that we've had in the past. I think we've got a chance to get better in the next couple of seasons. If we don't I won't be giving up or start thinking this team has abandoned their history of winning, because the bottom line is the Bills have been losers a lot more than winners and the true fans have been there through the bad as well as the good.

Slaps Albany, n.y. in the face with a trout. :)

What you say is true, but you have to admit it's galling to see expansion franchises like Miami and Dallas doing better than The Bills. :) I won't even mention the newbies like Tampa Bay and Seattle. :(

Slaps Albany, n.y. in the face with a trout.  :)

What you say is true, but you have to admit it's galling to see expansion franchises like Miami and Dallas doing better than The Bills.  :) I won't even mention the newbies like Tampa Bay and Seattle.  :(

723542[/snapback]

Dallas is only 1 year younger than the Bills, so I wouldn't count them.

Tampa Bay fans have suffered as much as we have. Both teams have been the league's laughingstock at points in their history. Both teams lost the top pick in the entire draft. We lost Cousineau to the CFL, but fortunately retained his rights long enough to trade him for Kelly. TB lost Bo Jackson to baseball & he went back into the next year's draft & became a Raider with no compensation. We lost Kelly & Cribbs to the USFL. TB lost their franchise QB at the time, Doug Williams, to the USFL. We had a longer run than TB's Super Bowl Champ, but they have the ring.

All I want is 1 Super Bowl win & all the bad years will be worth it.

You are probably right. I was too young to follow the Bills closely until the late 80s if not early 90s. However, I think the NFL has changed and long-term playoff absences are extremely rare so I don't think it's weird to be so disappointed.

It is the reverse with my baseball team, the Orioles. Most of the time I have been around to follow them they have been awful outside of a couple decent years. Most older fans remember the great Earl Weaver teams and are less accepting of their current crapiness.

I get a kick out of the younger or bandwagon fans who view the Bills as a team of excellence whose recent down years are an abberation.  The facts are that this team is down a lot more than it's up.  I loved the late 80s early 90s teams, but the abberation was those teams and the teams of the mid 60s. 

Here's something to remember:  This team went 22 years without a home playoff game from 1966 until 1988.  We long suffering fans have seen things a lot worse than we've got now.  Since the merger, we've had the worst record in the league as many times as we've been in the Super Bowl. 

I know this post is a bit of a downer, but in reality, there's a lot more hope for this team than some of the truly dismal teams with virtually no talent that we've had in the past.  I think we've got a chance to get better in the next couple of seasons.  If we don't I won't be giving up or start thinking this team has abandoned their history of winning, because the bottom line is the Bills have been losers a lot more than winners and the true fans have been there through the bad as well as the good.

723538[/snapback]

Well forgive me for not being an old fogey hooked up to my respirator because of all the bong hits I took back in the sixties and a weak heart from all of the lines in the seventies. Some of us just weren't alive or old enough to have any concept of what our favorite team even was. If we still are fans of a team that lost 4 straight Super Bowls, how can we be "bandwagon fans"? Eat a box of prunes, burn all your old NFL Films, and get over it. :)

Well forgive me for not being an old fogey hooked up to my respirator because of all the bong hits I took back in the sixties and a weak heart from all of the lines in the seventies. Some of us just weren't alive or old enough to have any concept of what our favorite team even was. If we still are fans of a team that lost 4 straight Super Bowls, how can we be "bandwagon fans"? Eat a box of prunes, burn all your old NFL Films, and get over it. :rolleyes:

724249[/snapback]

Buh bye! :)

Well forgive me for not being an old fogey hooked up to my respirator because of all the bong hits I took back in the sixties and a weak heart from all of the lines in the seventies. Some of us just weren't alive or old enough to have any concept of what our favorite team even was. If we still are fans of a team that lost 4 straight Super Bowls, how can we be "bandwagon fans"? Eat a box of prunes, burn all your old NFL Films, and get over it. :)

724249[/snapback]

Hehe, yeah really. Maybe this would've been a good thread in like 2001. The 90's spoiled those of us who grew up with the SB teams. But in 2006, God - I don't think any fan regardless of their age is a spoiled brat after enduring the last 6-9 years. It may not be the longest streak ever, but it's bad enough; so I don't see the need to create such a divisive thread. If you older folks want a round of applause for living thru the 70's, I'm cool with that - I probably would've killed myself. Just don't blame me for not being born earlier and bitching about a team that's sucked for so long.

I get a kick out of the younger or bandwagon fans who view the Bills as a team of excellence whose recent down years are an abberation.  The facts are that this team is down a lot more than it's up.  I loved the late 80s early 90s teams, but the abberation was those teams and the teams of the mid 60s. 

Here's something to remember:  This team went 22 years without a home playoff game from 1966 until 1988.  We long suffering fans have seen things a lot worse than we've got now.  Since the merger, we've had the worst record in the league as many times as we've been in the Super Bowl. 

I know this post is a bit of a downer, but in reality, there's a lot more hope for this team than some of the truly dismal teams with virtually no talent that we've had in the past.  I think we've got a chance to get better in the next couple of seasons.  If we don't I won't be giving up or start thinking this team has abandoned their history of winning, because the bottom line is the Bills have been losers a lot more than winners and the true fans have been there through the bad as well as the good.

723538[/snapback]

I'd like to win, but I'll take the good w/the bad......got Sunday Ticket, and cant wait for the season! get ready for another abberation at some point in the next few years

... but... but....

we are out of salary cap jail!

723538[/snapback]

OK.

To all you young beer ponging Gen Z's and all you herb bonging old farts.

It

is

a

game,

and the Bills are my team - have been for about four decades.

See ya on opening day! :)

723538[/snapback]

Thanks for spreading good cheer

I get a kick out of the younger or bandwagon fans

723538[/snapback]

Well, being 34 I don't think I fall into the younger part but I suppose that depends on perspective. Growing up, my favorite team was the Cowboys(lets face it, it was my dads team and my parents dressed me in cowboys gear and bought me dallas paraphanalia). He was a huge Tom Landry fan(?). When pre-facelift Jones bought the team and unceremoniously ditched landry, my old man was pissed. So our family jumped ship, and started to root for the local team. Thank God because I don't know any Cowboy fans I'd like to share a beer with.

723538[/snapback]

I remember those days weel - still followed them, but did not have many expectations. I think expectations for the NFl product have gone up as much as those of Bills fans. There is enough of a level playing field that your city should be successful if the organization is competent enough...There in lies the rub - I would have though winning would be contageous to ralph and crew...

723538[/snapback]

Lemme guess, you had to walk uphill both ways in 5 feet of snow just to get to the rockpile to see a game? Just because a team has had a sub-par history by no means they will continue that way. The right people can bring a team out of its funk, ala dungy in tampa, lewis in cincy, etc.

Things were different when Ralph was a complete tightwad with Salaries, Contracts, spending on Facilities. These issues are normally not part of the equation these days as Ralph has demonstrated numerous times over the past 15+ years . I find no logical correlation between the old era and today.

Things were different when Ralph was a complete tightwad with Salaries, Contracts, spending on Facilities. These issues are normally not part of the equation these days as Ralph has demonstrated numerous times over the past 15+ years . I find no logical correlation between the old era and today.

724776[/snapback]

BINGO!