Watching the Bills via a Slingbox

MDH

I'm not sure if this belongs in Off The Wall or not as it does involve the Bills…

My wife and I are seriously contemplating a move to the UK. After speaking with Nick in England via PMs it has become evident that watching every Bills game in London just isn't going to happen as they don't offer Sunday Ticket.

So, my question: Would it be possible to buy a Slingbox, hook it up to my brother's second Direct TV receiver (in CT) and watch the Bills game via my computer in the UK while he watches his Colts game on his TV? I've never used a Slingbox or spoken to anybody that owns one so I'm curious as to the quality of the video and what type of lag you get while using it (particularly someplace as far away as the UK).

Other than needing a power-converter for my computer are there any technical issues that I'd need to deal with?

A second question: Is it possible to take my NTSC TV with me to the UK along with my DirecTV dish, point the dish to the proper place in the sky and receive my direct TV programming (namely Sunday Ticket) while in the UK? I realize DirecTV wouldn't allow me to do this if I informed them, but if I changed my billing address to a family member in the US is there anything technically that would prevent me from receiving the signal in the UK?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can offer a little illumination on either of these subjects.

My brother-in-law is living in London for a couple years and didn't want to miss any KU basketball, the Chiefs etc.. So, he got a Slingbox, and watches his dad's TV in Kansas City. It works out great for them. His dad wants to watch all the same games, so there's no conflict with what station is tuned. Also when he gets home from work, he is 6 hrs ahead of his dad, so he can watch whatever he wants in the eveing.

I think this is exactly what you're describing. To be clear, a single line DTV tuner can only be on one channel. Because you said second tuner, I think you're okay (NOT the one he's watching the Colt on, right?).

I don't know the answer if you have a two-line DTV tuner like I do, but I think it does't work since the Slingbox changes the channel like a remote control. I think it is on your system between the Tuner and TV, so whatever is being sent to screen is being "posted" to the web.

For Q #2, I don't know. I can't see anything that would stop you from setting up your DTV receiver, but the signal may not be strong enough given the different longitude, since the satellite is geo-stationary over the US (actually over South America I believe).

So, my question: Would it be possible to buy a Slingbox, hook it up to my brother's second Direct TV receiver (in CT) and watch the Bills game via my computer in the UK while he watches his Colts game on his TV?

As long as they're two separate receivers, you're fine. He can't watch the Colts and you watch the Bills on the same receiver though.

A second question: Is it possible to take my NTSC TV with me to the UK along with my DirecTV dish, point the dish to the proper place in the sky and receive my direct TV programming (namely Sunday Ticket) while in the UK?  I realize DirecTV wouldn't allow me to do this if I informed them, but if I changed my billing address to a family member in the US is there anything technically that would prevent me from receiving the signal in the UK?

Won't work because you can't see the satellites from that part of the world. Same reason that you can't use XM Radio in Hawaii (for example).

CW