Marv is old, so what?

It seems every article I read mentions something about Marv's age, and that because he's so old, it means the Bills will suck.

Now, putting aside the fact that the Bills might actually suck (although I don't think they'll suck all that bad)....

What is the big freakin' deal about Marv's age? Just how does the age of the general manager correlate to the team's success on the field? It's not like he's out there running around making tackles, so what gives?

The only possible reasoning would be that since he's old, he's got dimentia, or whatever, and he can't think straight. But everyone knows that isn't the case -- and, by the way, you don't have to be old to have dimentia, just look at Mark Cuban. ;)

And if it has anything to do with him being out of the league for a long time, how do you explain Matt Millen and these other buffoons that come around with no GM experience? At least Marv is in the HOF for his football acumen...

Boy, I can't wait until they actually start playing football!

Every time I see Marv he looks too old to be doing what he's doing. Then every time he starts to speak he makes me believe he is totally capable of this job. Most of those who say Marv is too old are distant from the situation and don't know just how vibrant of a person he is.

It seems every article I read mentions something about Marv's age, and that because he's so old, it means the Bills will suck.

Now,  putting aside the fact that the Bills might actually suck (although I don't think they'll suck all that bad)....

What is the big freakin' deal about Marv's age?  Just how does the age of the general manager correlate to the team's success on the field? It's not like he's out there running around making tackles, so what gives?

The only possible reasoning would be that since he's old, he's got dimentia, or whatever, and he can't think straight.  But everyone knows that isn't the case -- and, by the way, you don't have to be old to have dimentia, just look at Mark Cuban. ;)

And if it has anything to do with him being out of the league for a long time, how do you explain Matt Millen and these other buffoons that come around with no GM experience?  At least Marv is in the HOF for his football acumen...

Boy, I can't wait until they actually start playing football!

723116[/snapback]

The issue is somewhat valid when you consider the fact that, as General Manager, this is now Levy's program--his team to build. That causes one to wonder just how many years he has left in an extremely stressful position.

General Managers don't just sit around in their offices making trades and deciding which players to retain. They are on the road quite a bit--even during the season--scouting players. Tom Modrak takes some of the load off for college scouting and John Guy does the same in the pro ranks. Still, the GM needs to see a lot of players.

So, you have to ask, will Levy be able (or even want) to do this job three or four years from now, when he'll be nearing 85 years of age. He's a marvelous physical specimen and there certainly isn't anything wrong with his mind now. Maybe--just maybe--he can pull it off. I wouldn't bet against him. But that doesn't mean questions about his age are not valid.