Clayton Chat From Yesterday

Rico

BTW: Roscoe made his "All-Salary Cap" team

Link

Darren (Buffalo): Do you think JP Losman can turn it around and lead the Bills to a winning season?

John Clayton: Yes, he will turn it around. I think he will end up being the starter at the end of camp. But the Bills aren't good enough to go to the playoffs. Sorry.

Chet (Huntington Beach, CA): John, how is Roscoe Parrish on your roster? I thought it's ESPN's policy to exclude the Bills from anything positive this season?

John Clayton: I like Parrish as a slot receiver. He's got good quickness. The only policy is to pick good players.

=======================

I don't think he's as easily flustered as Mort.

BTW: Roscoe made his "All-Salary Cap" team

Link

Darren (Buffalo): Do you think JP Losman can turn it around and lead the Bills to a winning season?

John Clayton: Yes, he will turn it around. I think he will end up being the starter at the end of camp. But the Bills aren't good enough to go to the playoffs. Sorry.

Chet (Huntington Beach, CA): John, how is Roscoe Parrish on your roster? I thought it's ESPN's policy to exclude the Bills from anything positive this season?

John Clayton: I like Parrish as a slot receiver. He's got good quickness. The only policy is to pick good players.

=======================

I don't think he's as easily flustered as Mort.

722393[/snapback]

LOL -- great question by Chet. Clayton's "All-Salary Cap" team is just another example of why I dislike ESPN so much these days. It has NOTHING to do with how they treat the Bills -- just that they're constantly shoving meaningless crap down our throats.

I would have had Tom Brady QBing that team...not Peyton Manning...

Manning is yet to win a AFC championship in 8 years....

Also, one interesting comment I found in his article was:

General managers will tell you teams are built around five key positions: quarterback, left tackle, wide receiver, cornerback and defensive end.

I definitely think that is a very good point.....Unfortunately we are really good

only at 2 of those 5 spots.....May be at the end of this year we will be more

versatile.

General managers will tell you teams are built around five key positions: quarterback, left tackle, wide receiver, cornerback and defensive end.

I definitely think that is a very good point.....Unfortunately we are really good

versatile.

722433[/snapback]

While I couldn't care less about anything John Clayton writes or says, I'd offer my completely biased opinion that the Bills -- right now -- are above average in four of those five positions. QB is the only question mark.

Mike Gandy IS an above average LT. If you don't believe me, please list the 15 LTs in the league who are better.

Aaron Schobel is much better than average at DE.

Clements / McGee at CB -- 'nuff said.

Evans / Price / Reed / Parrish / Davis -- I think this is an above average WR squad.

Looks like the Bills may be a competent QB away from really competing in this league. That must be very disappointing to everyone piling dirt on the grave.

LOL -- great question by Chet.  Clayton's "All-Salary Cap" team is just another example of why I dislike ESPN so much these days.  It has NOTHING to do with how they treat the Bills -- just that they're constantly shoving meaningless crap down our throats.

722399[/snapback]

I thought that was a very cool exercise, and something that would be very fun and challenging to do. I had never seen anything like that before (you'd have to have really good cap info on the entire league), but that is an interesting concept to pick a team and fill out a roster with various players, stars, and back-ups, and keep it within the salary cap to try to field a well rounded, best possible team. And I can't stand John Clayton.

While I couldn't care less about anything John Clayton writes or says, I'd offer my completely biased opinion that the Bills -- right now -- are above average in four of those five positions.  QB is the only question mark.

Mike Gandy IS an above average LT.  If you don't believe me, please list the 15 LTs in the league who are better.

Aaron Schobel is much better than average at DE.

Clements / McGee at CB -- 'nuff said.

Evans / Price / Reed / Parrish / Davis -- I think this is an above average WR squad.

Looks like the Bills may be a competent QB away from really competing in this league.  That must be very disappointing to everyone piling dirt on the grave.

722440[/snapback]

good post. it's about time gandy starts getting some credit for being a pretty good player.

The problem with his all-Cap team is that it's basically cheating - going around the league at putting in guys who had a breakout year and are still on their rookie contracts. Yes, Lofa Tatupu is a great player with a cheap tag. It's impressive to draft him, not pick him out. This would be interesting if he only included players who are on their second contract.

The problem with his all-Cap team is that it's basically cheating - going around the league at putting in guys who had a breakout year and are still on their rookie contracts.  Yes, Lofa Tatupu is a great player with a cheap tag.  It's impressive to draft him, not pick him out.  This would be interesting if he only included players who are on their second contract.

722463[/snapback]

He is just trying to field what he thinks is the best team for the money. He's not cheating, he's drafting. He obviously thinks that Tatupu is a good player, and worth the money. This is the team he is fielding for this year, and he over spends on some positions, like QB, and then has to underspend on other positions. That's why he chose Parrish, because his contract was only 700K. Again, I just think it's a cool thing to try to do. You can only afford a few stars and have to choose which ones you're willing to pay that cuts into your cap. He's not at all saying these are the best players, or even the best bargain, he's just drafting a team like a fantasy league under the salary cap.

He is just trying to field what he thinks is the best team for the money. He's not cheating, he's drafting. He obviously thinks that Tatupu is a good player, and worth the money. This is the team he is fielding for this year, and he over spends on some positions, like QB, and then has to underspend on other positions. That's why he chose Parrish, because his contract was only 700K. Again, I just think it's a cool thing to try to do. You can only afford a few stars and have to choose which ones you're willing to pay that cuts into your cap. He's not at all saying these are the best players, or even the best bargain, he's just drafting a team like a fantasy league under the salary cap.

722465[/snapback]

but if you look at it closely, its rather easy to do. he filled the team with superstars at all the starter roles, and then for backups, he basically picked minimum wage rooks or second year players.

Also, as said, he did not take into consideration more than 1 year. sure, dwight freeny is playing this season for roughly $72.14, btu next year his contract will skyrocket. Also, he picked lance briggs, who is dirt cheap, but is holding out in chicago.

but if you look at it closely, its rather easy to do. he filled the team with superstars at all the starter roles, and then for backups, he basically picked minimum wage rooks or second year players.

Also, as said, he did not take into consideration more than 1 year. sure, dwight freeny is playing this season for roughly $72.14, btu next year his contract will skyrocket. Also, he picked lance briggs, who is dirt cheap, but is holding out in chicago.

722475[/snapback]

Well of course, but how else are you going to do it? And it's fair game to criticize his selections. You, or someone else, may decide that depth is more important in certain positions than one stud starter and one crappy back-up. But the back-ups on most teams are pretty much no names anyway, and if they sign big name players, like, say, the Redskins did a couple years ago, the back-ups stink. It's just an exercise, and some drafters may have different strategies. It's to take the best roster that you can for the money for this year. I woudn't have made the same choices but that's what the concept is all about, who would you take if it were you? You would obviously feel your team was better than Clayton's overall. I know I would. I would assume everyone would or they wouldn't have chosen those players.

It's kind of like the refreshing honesty that Jauron had about the draft. Before the draft he said he was going to come out right after it and say of course it was a great draft. They wouldn't take players they didnt think were special. They may not say the same thing when they get them on the field or play the games or in 2-3 years, but right now they love this draft. You're just selecting players you think are good to fill out your roster.

I would have had Tom Brady QBing that team...not Peyton Manning...

Manning is yet to win a AFC championship in 8 years....

versatile.

722433[/snapback]

Ledt tackle is tougher to find than center, but center is more important- the line collapses w/out a good center

722440[/snapback]

Not sure how you could ever tell. We havent had anyone to get them the ball in years. But other than that. Evans is unproven as a #1 guy. Price has been deteriorating for the last few seasons. Reed? Parrish. I can barely remember him even catching the ball last year. Cant remember Davis :o

I agree with the cornerback deal though.