A poll of how americans trust their gov't

People who actually think politicians are honest are living in a dream world. My philosophy when it comes to politics is to accept that they are all liars and thieves and vote for the crook who is more likely to push agendas that I support or vote against the crook whose agendas I don't support.

The people who believe ANY President is an honest man really need a slap in the face.

People who actually think politicians are honest are living in a dream world.  My philosophy when it comes to politics is to accept that they are all liars and thieves and vote for the crook who is more likely to push agendas that I support or vote against the crook whose agendas I don't support. 

The people who believe ANY President is an honest man really need a slap in the face.

723536[/snapback]

This is a terrible way of thinking. Suppose an honest man were to go into politics. He'd get no benefit from his honesty from people like you, because you'd just assume he was as much of a crook as the rest.

I grant this is a messed-up system, and that a deeply cynical attitude is more than justified. At the same time, honesty is vital. We need to be on the lookout for it; so that if an honest politician does come along, we can reward him or her with a high level of support.

This is a terrible way of thinking.  Suppose an honest man were to go into politics.  He'd get no benefit from his honesty from people like you, because you'd just assume he was as much of a crook as the rest. 

I grant this is a messed-up system, and that a deeply cynical attitude is more than justified.  At the same time, honesty is vital.  We need to be on the lookout for it; so that if an honest politician does come along, we can reward him or her with a high level of support.

723577[/snapback]

You might get an honest politician at a local level, but when you get into the $ it takes to get elected to high office, these people are always having to make some kind of sleazy compromise. By the time they get to run for President, they've lost just about all their honesty. The last 2 Presidents have been compulsive liars. One a Democrat, one a Republican-it doesn't matter which party they come from. The most honest President in recent years was Jimmy Carter, who got chewed up & spit out as President. I actually believe that guys who are President think that honesty is a character flaw. Ever hear someone say "He's too stupid to lie" ? These guys think "I'm too smart to tell the truth"

You might get an honest politician at a local level, but when you get into the $ it takes to get elected to high office, these people are always having to make some kind of sleazy compromise.  By the time they get to run for President, they've lost just about all their honesty.  The last 2 Presidents have been compulsive liars.  One a Democrat, one a Republican-it doesn't matter which party they come from.  The most honest President in recent years was Jimmy Carter, who got chewed up & spit out as President.  I actually believe that guys who are President think that honesty is a character flaw. Ever hear someone say "He's too stupid to lie" ?  These guys think "I'm too smart to tell the truth"

723583[/snapback]

There's too much truth to what you're saying. But imagine an intrinsically honest man or woman at a local level; doing a good job. Now this person wants to run for governor. Unwilling to make compromises with big corporations or unsavory PACs, this politician's war chest is a little low. But regular people can make up for this by making heavy contributions to this person's campaign.

If this happened at every level, this politician could eventually become president. I know it's unlikely, given our deeply flawed, largely plutocratic system. But it could.