50TB DVDs using bacteria!

Fezmid

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see his motivation. It must use up a few terabytes on a hard drive to store Professor V Renugopalakrishnan's name.

Edit: I just read the article twice and have absolutely no idea how it works or how anyone could even think of it. Amazing. It renews my faith that the human brain can overcome unthinkable limitations.

Edit: I just read the article twice and have absolutely no idea how it works or how anyone could even think of it. Amazing. It renews my faith that the human brain can overcome unthinkable limitations.

721843[/snapback]

:w00t:

A certain molecule, when exposed to light, bends itself into a certain shape. When the light's removed, it returns to its original shape. That's one bit (on/off). String eight of them in a line, it's a byte. Eight million is a megabyte. The good doctor's big breakthrough was modifying the molecule to stay in its excited state for a usable length of time (i.e. years).

Was it really that complex? I'm seriously asking...I thought it was self-evident.

If it wasn't that "complex" Dexter, why didn't you do it yourself?  :w00t:

721901[/snapback]

Scientific breakthroughs, once made, are often simple to explain. It's the years of research leading up to the breakthrough that's the hard part.

Scientific breakthroughs, once made, are often simple to explain.  It's the years of research leading up to the breakthrough that's the hard part.

721911[/snapback]

The way monkey boy phrased it was that any moron could have come up with the idea.

:lol:

A certain molecule, when exposed to light, bends itself into a certain shape.  When the light's removed, it returns to its original shape.  That's one bit (on/off).  String eight of them in a line, it's a byte.  Eight million is a megabyte.  The good doctor's big breakthrough was modifying the molecule to stay in its excited state for a usable length of time (i.e. years).

Was it really that complex?  I'm seriously asking...I thought it was self-evident.

721891[/snapback]

Er...electron promotion requires energy to maintain a metastable state...it's unfavorable. Gerade/ungarde vibrational modes.. etc.

This sounds like yet another clown who thinks he's beaten the 2nd Law at no net cost..

Sysiphus once again being chased by the rolling rock up the hill.... :w00t:

If it wasn't that "complex" Dexter, why didn't you do it yourself?  :w00t:

721901[/snapback]

Because I don't work in biochem. And even if I did...the principle is obvious (anything that can exist in a ground state and an excited state can represent a bit of information. I could make a computer out of monkeys and light switches if I wanted). But Dr. Unpronouncable probably spent years trying to get the little molecules to stick to a media in an organized manner, and making them stay in an excited state for more than a day. Even ideas that are simple in principle can be a real bear to engineer (e.g. getting the damn monkeys to flip the light switches at the right time).

He's still a genius...but the basic idea's as obvious as the basic idea for the atomic bomb.

Er...electron promotion requires energy to maintain a metastable state...it's unfavorable. Gerade/ungarde vibrational modes.. etc.

This sounds like yet another clown who thinks he's beaten the 2nd Law at no net cost..

Sysiphus once again being chased by the rolling rock up the hill.... :w00t:

721938[/snapback]

:lol:

Shut up. Go play with your blocks. Let the adults talk.

Ooh...I thwarted you...bad, bad me. Bad, bad thermodynamics...:w00t:

721991[/snapback]

If what you posted made any sense whatsoever, it still wouldn't have anything to do with the topic. There's no violation of thermodynamics in the process, any more than there is writing data to magnetic media.

You didn't "thwart" me. You just once again are throwing big words out that you don't understand, and hoping against hope that just one of them sticks.

If what you posted made any sense whatsoever, it still wouldn't have anything to do with the topic.  There's no violation of thermodynamics in the process, any more than there is writing data to magnetic media.

You didn't "thwart" me.  You just once again are throwing big words out that you don't understand, and hoping against hope that just one of them sticks.

721997[/snapback]

What a profund case of ego over sense. :w00t:

When you can go - as well as that professaor - and strain a molecule via bending without imparting and maintaing the application of energy, book your tickets for your Oslo prize. ..for you've changed understanding.

Now, don't have a fit...