Potentially great news for US Soccer...

ajzepp

I don't know if he plans to take time off or what, or if he's even a little bit interested in taking over for Bruce "not my job to win" Arena, but at least he's available for contacting.

Klinsmann

a good chance he'll be the next US coach that's right as he lives in California.

721753[/snapback]

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...I'd love to see him take over the gig. I've had my fill of Bruce.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...I'd love to see him take over the gig. I've had my fill of Bruce.

721754[/snapback]

Agreed-what an enticing proposition. I just wonder if the timing works against us here. Would he be willing to take the US job this soon after stepping down? I'm sure his fellow countrymen would be apoplectic. This could be the biggest event

Apologies for the slight hijack AZ, but listed below is a nice little article on how the US Team may shakeout for 2010. In any event, if there are more than 2 soccer-related threads around this forum at any one time, it seems to inflame the masses. :w00t: Here's hoping Rossi is scorned by the Italians.

US 2010

Agreed-what an enticing proposition.  I just wonder if the timing works against us here.  Would he be willing to take the US job this soon after stepping down?  I'm sure his fellow countrymen would be apoplectic.  This could be the biggest event

Apologies for the slight hijack AZ, but listed below is a nice little article on how the US Team may shakeout for 2010.  In any event, if there are more than 2 soccer-related threads around this forum at any one time, it seems to inflame the masses.  :w00t:  Here's hoping Rossi is scorned by the Italians.

US 2010

721766[/snapback]

That's a good point about the timing....it'll be interesting to see how it all works out, and whether we're on his radar at all. I'd love to see him here, though, cause - unlike with SOME people - you'd know exactly what the guy's goals were from the get-go. He's here to win World Cups. I just think it's inexcusable for a coach to set the bar any lower than that. I don't care how good or bad the team is, if you never believe you can win it all, then you never will.

When I click on the link, it takes me to the main sports page for that particular website. I found the soccer section, but I want to make sure I'm reading the same article that you're referring to. I read an interesting one about soccer's popularity, but I don't think that's the one you were referring to....can you clarify for me?

That's a good point about the timing....it'll be interesting to see how it all works out, and whether we're on his radar at all. I'd love to see him here, though, cause - unlike with SOME people - you'd know exactly what the guy's goals were from the get-go. He's here to win World Cups. I just think it's inexcusable for a coach to set the bar any lower than that. I don't care how good or bad the team is, if you never believe you can win it all, then you never will.

When I click on the link, it takes me to the main sports page for that particular website. I found the soccer section, but I want to make sure I'm reading the same article that you're referring to. I read an interesting one about soccer's popularity, but I don't think that's the one you were referring to....can you clarify for me?

721895[/snapback]

My bad. Let me try this again...

My bad.  Let me try this again...

722001[/snapback]

You're right, that's a really good piece....I was wondering what the hell happened to Eddie Gaven, cause the few times I've seen him in an MLS game he was just on fire. I was disappointed he didn't make the team. Looks like two of the best players they list could potentially play for other national teams - Freddy Adu and that Rossi kid. I'm thinking we need to really sign an impressive coach in order to give these kids confidence that we're in it to win it come 2010. I really hope Freddy gets himself to Europe and advances his game with a great club.

Do you have any idea why he said there's still a chance the 2010 cup might not be in South Africa?? Is this just a, "you just never know what life has in store" type of comments, or what? I thought it was already a done deal, no?

You're right, that's a really good piece....I was wondering what the hell happened to Eddie Gaven, cause the few times I've seen him in an MLS game he was just on fire. I was disappointed he didn't make the team. Looks like two of the best players they list could potentially play for other national teams - Freddy Adu and that Rossi kid. I'm thinking we need to really sign an impressive coach in order to give these kids confidence that we're in it to win it come 2010. I really hope Freddy gets himself to Europe and advances his game with a great club.

Do you have any idea why he said there's still a chance the 2010 cup might not be in South Africa?? Is this just a, "you just never know what life has in store" type of comments, or what? I thought it was already a done deal, no?

722086[/snapback]

I thought they dragged a few guys there out of a sense of loyalty rather than a good mix of players who would get experience for the next WC. I.e. Taylor Twellman from the Revs, etc. But....

The thing about S. Africa is that despite the official designation and assurances from that country's leaders, there is some uneasiness that the country does/will not have the necessary infrastructure in place. Stadiums, communication, transportation, etc.... There are some who believe there should be a contingency plan to hold the WC in the US (which is probably the most able to accomodate it on short notice).

I thought they dragged a few guys there out of a sense of loyalty rather than a good mix of players who would get experience for the next WC. I.e. Taylor Twellman from the Revs, etc. But....

The thing about S. Africa is that despite the official designation and assurances from that country's leaders, there is some uneasiness that the country does/will not have the necessary infrastructure in place. Stadiums, communication, transportation, etc.... There are some who believe there should be a contingency plan to hold the WC in the US (which is probably the most able to accomodate it on short notice).

722236[/snapback]

If there is a God, he'll let the plan unfold exactly as you decribed....I'd LOVE to see the WC here in the states again. There's no way I'll get to S. Africa, but if it's here in the US there is absolutley no doubt that I'd go. That would rock, and it would be a perfect place for Klinsmann (my fellow German and WC hero) to lead us to our first WC....with a convincing 3-0 victory over Italy :o

If there is a God, he'll let the plan unfold exactly as you decribed....I'd LOVE to see the WC here in the states again. There's no way I'll get to S. Africa, but if it's here in the US there is absolutley no doubt that I'd go. That would rock, and it would be a perfect place for Klinsmann (my fellow German and WC hero) to lead us to our first WC....with a convincing 3-0 victory over Italy  :o

722255[/snapback]

They should have it in Atlanta too. YOu guys just had the Olympics held there not too long ago so you are all ready for it! :doh:

They should have it in Atlanta too.  YOu guys just had the Olympics held there not too long ago so you are all ready for it!  :o

722284[/snapback]

If I still live here in four years that would suck