Jags to Cut Mike Williams

I disagree.  While he was the 4th pick taken in a Draft he was not nearly as highly touted as Mandarich (one of the best OL prospects ever) and Leaf (considered by some as the top pick over Manning).  Shoot.  I'd say even Akili Smith, Steve Entman (sp? U of Wash DL), and Desond Howard were bigger busts... 

That said, Mike Williams was thought of by most to be a "safe" as a ROT for a decade.  He is a big (in more then one way) bust.

Too bad b/c you can tell he is a really good guy that just did not have it mentally (toughness) to make it in the NFL.

721603[/snapback]

Desmond Howard was a Super Bowl MVP, remember? Even though he didn't live up to his potential, I'd have to say that counts for something. You certainly can't put him on this list with all of these other hurbs. C'mon now. :w00t:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago one of the preview magazines had worst first picks in the entire draft-Walt Patulski "won".

721602[/snapback]

Walt was rough, but he doesn't come close to #1. Leaf has the top spot sewn up, and at this point I would put Williams ahead too. At least Patulski did have a few years where he was on the field.

I disagree.  While he was the 4th pick taken in a Draft he was not nearly as highly touted as Mandarich (one of the best OL prospects ever) and Leaf (considered by some as the top pick over Manning).  Shoot.  I'd say even Akili Smith, Steve Entman (sp? U of Wash DL), and Desond Howard were bigger busts... 

That said, Mike Williams was thought of by most to be a "safe" as a ROT for a decade.  He is a big (in more then one way) bust.

Too bad b/c you can tell he is a really good guy that just did not have it mentally (toughness) to make it in the NFL.

721603[/snapback]

Akili Smith was a very dumb pick (1 year of college ball), insisted upon by owner Mike Brown - and turning down Ditka's Ricky Williams offer.

He got thrown to the wolves - and I don't think he would have been a good qb anyway - but no question about his attitude. He was beaten bloody by the opposition, but wasn't a complainer and always showed up ready to play. Tough man.

Getting the last laugh, he left the B'gals with ten million bucks of Brown's. :w00t:

His best move was pressuring the club to draft Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmanzedeh in '01.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/jaguars/index.html

After the Bills cut OT Mike Williams this offseason, the Jaguars signed him and gave him a $1.4 million bonus. But Williams weighed almost 400 pounds as recently as early June. The Jaguars are very disappointed in him and might opt to cut their losses in camp.

721589[/snapback]

Wow! A former top first round pick getting cut by three teams (Buf, TB, Jax) in one offseason ... that is sad :lol::lol:

hey moderators, can we have are "Bucs are already displeased with Mike Williams" thread unlocked?!? No? Well I had to ask. :w00t:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/jaguars/index.html

After the Bills cut OT Mike Williams this offseason, the Jaguars signed him and gave him a $1.4 million bonus. But Williams weighed almost 400 pounds as recently as early June. The Jaguars are very disappointed in him and might opt to cut their losses in camp.

721589[/snapback]

I know we all enjoy piling on the big guy, but it's not like MW is any closer to being cut than he was the last time this issue was brought up. Just sounds like a Sporting News guy trying to catch up on everybody else's internet news from last month.

Levi Jones who went to Cincy at around #10 in retrospect was by far the correct LT choice to make in this draft/

721860[/snapback]

Don't forget to throw in Levi was a "reach" at the 10 spot. At least according to the draft experts.

I miss the other Mike Williams thread.  Since it's no longer OTR's birthday I believe the thread should be re-opened. (if that's possible)

721864[/snapback]

Only by him that closed it (OTR) or perhaps some mod with super powers. A mod is unlikely to intervene though, they use their powers only for good.

Levi Jones who went to Cincy at around #10 in retrospect was by far the correct LT choice to make in this draft/

721860[/snapback]

Considerable retrospect. The local fans were sure that CB Philip Buchanon would be the pick - their defensive backfield was putrid. I was one of those - I sure was wrong. :w00t:

I know you're kidding, but if we picked him up for the league minimum with no guaranteed money, what could it hurt... even if he proves to just be camp fodder?

721886[/snapback]

It would hurt plenty. Imagine the mix message it would send. This team philosiphy is now emphasing hardwork and character. Thus, they jetisoned MW and his equally fat salary. Now they would take this slacker back because he's cheaper?

woah there. emtman was a spectacular rookie before getting hurt. he would have been a great player if not for the injuries, which as every nfl knows is an arbitrary thing.

721672[/snapback]

EC-Bills and McBride,

Good point. I had that in the back of my mind. I don't think injuries are arbitrary but I do agree some injuries remove the bust label and that applies here.

What a pathetic draft; this ranks right "up" there with John Butler's final effort as Bills' GM.  When you look at the players Buffalo drafted in 2000 and 2001, it's not very hard to understand why they have struggled over the past six years.

I really hope Josh plays to his potential this season, to salvage something out of this class.

721751[/snapback]

At the time, the Mike Williams pick was the absolute right selection. The Bills needed a dominating OL to move forward and it seemed that it was just a matter of either Williams or McKinnie. TD made the wrong pick, but I don't think you can fault him for this at all.

The rest of the draft is another story....

It would hurt plenty.  Imagine the mix message it would send.  This team philosiphy is now emphasing hardwork and character.  Thus, they jetisoned MW and his equally fat salary.  Now they would take this slacker back because he's cheaper?

721887[/snapback]

Well, we did cut him in large part because he refused to renegotiate....It would actually say "Listen, we know what you're worth. Take it." Though he did get to pocket a nice SB in the interim for his troubles... Just playing :w00t: 's advocate...

Well, we did cut him in large part because he refused to renegotiate....It would actually say "Listen, we know what you're worth.  Take it."  Though he did get to pocket a nice SB in the interim for his troubles... Just playing  :w00t: 's advocate...

721904[/snapback]

Feel free to Satan Spawn :lol: Perfectly valid point, but I still think it's safe to say his lack of work ethic didn't help his cause. :lol:

Only by him that closed it (OTR) or perhaps some mod with super powers.  A mod is unlikely to intervene though, they use their powers only for good.

721870[/snapback]

it will only be reopened when in fact Mike Williams is cut by the Bucs......errrrr...i mean the Jags.