Once and for all...

Great post and I agree with everything 100%.

If I could be so bold as to add one thought of my own: 

Most perplexing turn of events:  Ruud Van Nistelroy being bench in the Netherlands' loss to Portugal.  ;)  :flirt:

722693[/snapback]

The coach didn't like him. I would have started him.

The fact that Italy were GIVEN the victory in their match against Australia by the Ref in the last seconds & they go on to win the whole thing makes a joke out of the game.

This world cup was THE worst refereed event I have ever seen. ;)

I can't wait till real football starts.

The fact that Italy were GIVEN the victory in their match against Australia by the Ref in the last seconds & they go on to win the whole thing makes a joke out of the game.

This world cup was THE worst refereed event I have ever seen.  ;)

722811[/snapback]

There were lots of bad calls during the tourney, but that wasn't one of them, IMO. The Aussie defender should have kept his feet on that play. As for Italy, regardless of how the matches were called, how many minutes total did other teams have to put one in the net on them? Their D didn't give up a legit goal the entire WC, for gosh sakes. I'd say they're a very deserving champion.

I'm dying for football season to start too, but let's face it, last year's superbowl wasn't exactly a clinic on proper refereeing!

722811[/snapback]

Somehow we all manage to forget the ridiculously poor officiating that stains the NFL week in and week out. I too tend to forget the frustration and fury towards the refs each summer, and come back as fresh, enthused and naive as the previous. Last year's playoffs were perhaps the clearest example. The World Cup officiating was awful though. But it was, at least, consistently awful. Does that make it better? :flirt:

There were lots of bad calls during the tourney, but that wasn't one of them, IMO. The Aussie defender should have kept his feet on that play. As for Italy, regardless of how the matches were called, how many minutes total did other teams have to put one in the net on them? Their D didn't give up a legit goal the entire WC, for gosh sakes. I'd say they're a very deserving champion.

I'm dying for football season to start too, but let's face it, last year's superbowl wasn't exactly a clinic on proper refereeing!

722827[/snapback]

Yeah it was the right call by the book if you want to follow the book word by word. Why didnt they call the rest of the games by the book word by word the whole tournament? I beleive late in crucial games no matter the sport that the refs should swallow the whistle. That ref should of swallowed the whistle. Tickytack and inconistant IMO

Yeah it was the right call by the book if you want to follow the book word by word.  Why didnt they call the rest of the games by the book word by word the whole tournament?  I beleive late in crucial games no matter the sport that the refs should swallow the whistle.  That ref should of swallowed the whistle.  Tickytack and inconistant IMO

722880[/snapback]

I totally agree....the way they called the semis and the final is how they should call every match....they let them play physical and only involved themselves when it was clearly a foul. That Italy/Germany game was great, due in large part to the refs staying the hell out of the way.

Yeah it was the right call by the book if you want to follow the book word by word. 

722880[/snapback]

I'm no soccer expert so this is an honest question(if worded with a bit of bias ;) )....

The question is:- If player A is on the ground & player B(with the ball) decides to not jump over or avoid player A(who is doing his best to not impede player B) but to instead fall over player A, is it a foul?

722811[/snapback]

Did you watch the previous World Cup? That was far worse. South Korea made it through to the semi-finals courtesy of some of the most dubious decisions ever (by a strange coincidence, they were co-hosts of the tournament).

There's a really good article on the upcoming Zidane-Materazzi hearing and the provoker-retailator dynamic.

What does it mean for soccer if precedent is set that a provoker of an incident like the head-butting can be punished?

King Kaufman's Sports Daily. (There is a simple click-through ad to read the full article)

722988[/snapback]

It means that FIFA is full of schitt. Before, all the Zidane fans and "lip readers" were commenting on how Materazzi used racial slurs. Now, Zidane commented and said that there was no racism involved, just insults of his mom and sister. Any respect I had for him as a human being went down the drain. Still a fantastic player but noone who has ever stepped on a field in any sport can ever say they never were provoked.

Anyways, FIFA said, if Materazzi was found guilty of using "dishonorable words", he will be fined 2,500 pounds. If it was racial, 4,200 pounds.