Bush administration and the nyt swift leak

Olberman's "reporting" is ridiculous. Bush had (all along) said they were tracking terrorists money. Big deal. The NYT described exactly how this was being done. It is loosely akin to Bush announcing that we have spies in the terror groups and the NYT saying the spy's names are Ralph Jones, Bob Smith and Joe Bagodonuts.

The terrorists may have known SWIFT existed (if any of them went to High School or college they should have), but were likely unaware of its precise involvement (if any) in tracking them.

The judgement of the NYT is what should be questioned. If there was any doubt whatsoever whether the story would do harm, why run it? To prove how good your paper is at investigating? A big old pat on their own back? Great. Congrats. Terrific story. Now on to finding out exactly how where and when we are spying on terrorists. That too can be published. Terrific.

He publicly stated numerous times that 29 countries are using (FATF) Financial Action tracking Force, to be used to track terrorist finances world wide. Apparently the terrorist got the public message, as they have changed monetary transactions since 2001.

I agree the media should not reveal info about counter-terrorism, but this secret was hardly a secret, if the administration says publicly were watching worlwide terrorist financial activity.

When you click on the link, the video is right there, I used the wmv. format.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/posts/2006/0...st-nyt-bashers/

720196[/snapback]

So the NYT is cleared of any and all wrong-doing because the story they broke as a leaked secret turned out to not even be remotely secret to begin with... :devil:

So they're not guilty of compromising national security (I never thought they were in this case anyway - it's been a publicly admitted program for years). They're just guilty of being idiots for reporting a "secret" that apparently everyone except the NYT knew. :lol:

S--- like this is why I ignore the mainstream "This is important, because we put it above the fold on the first page" media.