Coach Tuesday vs. "The Football Scientist"

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=12218

Coach Tuesday: K.C., as much as I appreciate all of the work you put in, when your "analysis" leads you to conclude that Bennie Anderson is a successful blocker, and Kelly Holcomb is a great deep-ball passer, don't you think it's time to start from scratch and revise your assumptions? I've watched a lot of those guys' games, and I can tell you that Bennie is flat-out awful in the trenches, and Holcomb can't throw downfield to save his life...

K.C. Joyner: (4:31 PM ET ) I cover this subject in greater detail in Scientific Football 2006, but in a nutshell I think the entire Bills O line got a bit of a bad rap. They had their weak points to be sure, but they had some strong points that were overlooked. Anderson gave up 4 sacks, so his pass blocking was an issue, but McGahee ranked 10th in the league in rushing and he had to have some good blocking at some point.

With regards to Holcomb, he certainly was successful passing the ball deep but he the lowest percentage of deep passes of any QB. That may have been part of the reason for his high percentage of success.

(Huh?)

lol good point that guy has no idea what hes talking about. holcomb flat out doesnt hav the arm strength to throw deep and bennie anderson wasnt good. he was a big blob the sometimes moved. thats all

719340[/snapback]

He moved? Wow, he is better than I gave him credit for.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=12218

K.C. Joyner: (4:31 PM ET ) I cover this subject in greater detail in Scientific Football 2006, but in a nutshell I think the entire Bills O line got a bit of a bad rap. They had their weak points to be sure, but they had some strong points that were overlooked. Anderson gave up 4 sacks, so his pass blocking was an issue, but McGahee ranked 10th in the league in rushing and he had to have some good blocking at some point.

719325[/snapback]

This is why it is funny when people here, on the board, get so riled up when national media types "dis" our team...they don't watch the Bills week in week out, they see highlights and boxscores, to draw up their analysis. We see them play every play, every week. We know if they are good or bad, why do we need their approval to justify our opinions?

Actually, from a statistical standpoint, I would think an OL giving up only 4 sacks is pretty good.

I don't know how sacks are apportioned (i.e. likely Tackles give up more sacks than interior OL), but if you have 5 OL positions and even if you throw in a RB &/or TE, if each of them only gave up 4 sacks, that'd be 20-28 sacks/year, which is pretty good.

Then again, and perhaps this is the case w/ Anderson :D , in order to 'give up' a sack, implies that you were blocking the guy to begin w/. :P

I dont put much credence into "sacks given up" that could mean a multitude of things such as how long was the qb holding the football? was losman back there moving around causing fat bennie to have to adjust his block? was the wr covered forcing the qb to hold the ball longer? With that sad Bennie Anderson was simply immobile and in todays nfl you need your linemen to do more then inline block. We were stuck not being able to run off tackle and traps do the immobility of bennie anderson. If he got his hat on a guy he was ok its out in space that his limitations were abundantly clear.

He'd get owned by dlinemen who could simply outhustle him to the spot. Teague was also a part of this problem as he was an unnatural center who simply got outmuscled right off the snap and couldn't adjust well in space and was not good at holding his point of attack. I think the new coaching staff and levy recognized this and this is why bennie and teague are no longer here. We can only hope fowler and reyes are upgrades